RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > RRS HSE - VERY BAD Traction in Wet Conditions - Help ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

capetoniandewd

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Arctic Frost
RRS HSE - VERY BAD Traction in Wet Conditions - Help ?

Hi guys, I have had my new RRS HSE for about 2 months and last week was the first time I had to drive in the rain.

The performance was awefull to say the least. It was like driving on oil, where the car was really sliding across the tar everytime I hit a bit of water on the road surface. I was initially traveling about 140 KM/h then reduced to about 80 km/h as I was so nervous.

DSC is by default on, and I confirmed this was on, so it had nothing to do with DSC. Also the manual says the DSC has nothing to do with actual Traction, so I doubt that is the problem.
I have 19" standard tyres on the vehicle.

Any feedback in this regard would be greatly appreciated. In 5 years of driving my Jeep before this I have never experienced this type of behavior, so I am sure this is not the norm.

Thanks so much.

Post #23498 Mon Apr 10 2006 9:12am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

I have driven Land Rovers extremely fast in heavy rain.
The full time 4x4 is great - DSC or no DSC.
No problems whatsoever! Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #23499 Mon Apr 10 2006 9:20am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Agree with Bobby, trust me in UK we live with the curse known as rain.

I've driven on M'ways (At speed, officer but never above 70mph...ahem!) and also on A and B roads in driving rain at various speeds with no problems.

A visit to the dealer looks imminent Sad Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #23502 Mon Apr 10 2006 9:32am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you haven't had rain for a long time it is possible that you were in fact driving on a surface with a film of oil and rubber on it and that has been washed off and is floating on the road surface, it's a well known problem even here in the UK when we have had a long dry period that certain road surfaces can become like a skating rink after the next rainfall on a badly drained road.
I have never had any doubts about either the traction of the RR or the RRS in even extremely heavy rain.
Which tyres are fitted to your Sport capetonian? I have Continental M&S on mine and wasn't sure about them at first but they seem to have bedded in well. The worst tyres I have ever run on a Land Rover were Pirellis on a V8 Disco1................ I had 1 nasty surprise on a wet road with them and that was it, changed them for Avon Turbospeeds and never looked back! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #23503 Mon Apr 10 2006 9:33am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
If you haven't had rain for a long time it is possible that you were in fact driving on a surface with a film of oil and rubber on it ....it's a well known problem even here in the UK when we have had a long dry period ...... The worst tyres I have ever run on a Land Rover were Pirellis on a V8 Disco1

Tim, thought you lived in Scotland...long periods of dry weather!?!?

I have Pirelli Scorpion 19"s on mine and have never had any problems in 3,200mls of motoring Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #23505 Mon Apr 10 2006 9:36am
MDP

United Kingdom 

I took my fighterbomber out on Sunday - I drove through some horrendous conditions , inc. torrential rain - icy cold sleet/hail & eventualy snow........ and it had been very dry around here for some time before. BUT .... despite these conditions I had NO problems what so ever.... 80mph along windy back " B " roads , although even the supercharged I will admit is no Porsche like drive down these roads.

However I have had the back end out Shocked .... this caught me by surprise, but as mentioned earlier in this thread I know why..... I came onto a fast roundabout... I say fast beacuse its one I know well and is easy to dart around, but on this instance we had dry weather followed by rain and the Island was very greasy [ I went back round a few times to see why ] you could see the oily substance mixed in with the rain etc. But just eased of the throttle and the back end came back in Embarassed Make more weary happened weather wise & the road conditions. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #23545 Mon Apr 10 2006 10:36am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Likewise, no problems with grip in mine... it seems to be there in spades. If the greasy road explanation does not apply, are you sure your tyres have the correct amount of air in them? Over-inflated tyres can also lead to this sort of sensation... Question 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #23556 Mon Apr 10 2006 11:52am
capetoniandewd

I have Continentals fitted (255/50 R 19" Cross Contact UHP). Just checked the tyre pressure and seems normal. It may be that there was not rain in a while along the stech of road I was driving as it has been pretty dry around that area, but it happened way to regular while on the wet stretch of road for it to be the oil build up on the tar (In my humble opinion)
Have called the dealer this morning and they will let me know when I can book it in, While checking the pressure now, I also noticed that my Front right hand side Tyre, seems very worn, (No Thread left on outermost side of the tyre) Seems like the alignment could be out ? At 4500 km's this seems an impossibility, I have done no serious off roading at all, and have not even drivien off pavements etc, Treat my car like a baby.
Maybe its the alignment thats out thats causing all the issues?

Post #23581 Mon Apr 10 2006 1:07pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

I'm not saying this is the issue with yours, but certainly it wouldn't be the first time the RRS has had alignment issues out of the factory. Have you noticed any pulling/drifting in normal driving since you've owned it? Unusual tyre wear patterns could certainly be explained by that... 

Post #23584 Mon Apr 10 2006 1:16pm
capetoniandewd

Yea, I have noticed a very slight left hand drift on the vehicle, since I took owenership, but always just put it down to road surface, as its very slight, but ALWAYS to the left.... Also My steeringwheel. when driving Straight has to be kept at a very slight angle, so the LANDROVER sign on the steering wheel is not 100% aligned when driving, but didnt think anything of that.

Post #23588 Mon Apr 10 2006 1:27pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Sounds like the classic "RRUK Symptoms" Wink

Check this thread out - I expect you'll see a lot of similarities.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=436

Then, print it out and take it to your dealer Wink 

Post #23611 Mon Apr 10 2006 2:53pm
capetoniandewd

Ok, I checked it out last night and there is definatley a pull to the left on the vehicle. Never really took note of it, untill I read RRUK's message. When I apply breaks, without my hand on the steering, it's like turning the wheel to the left. Much worse when applying breaks. Also the front left hand tyre 's outer thread seems almost completly worn down, just the 1st 4 cm's of the tyre surface. Rest seems fine. Looks like an alignment issue. Does anyone think this could be the reason there is so little traction under wet conditions ?
Thanks
Stewart

Post #23762 Tue Apr 11 2006 5:15am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

The tyre wear & tear souns heavy, but bear in mind that a 2.5tonne vehicle with badly aligned steering will eat through tyres.

I had a similar, altho' less pronounced problem with my Beemer.

After 35,000mls, R side front tyre was completely bald on the outside, whilst rest of tyre was still +1.6mm (UK legal limit) Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad

Post #23768 Tue Apr 11 2006 8:52am
capetoniandewd

My Vehicle went into the dealer this morning. Will post reply as soon as I have answers from the dealership.
Lets hold thumbs [b]Someone[/b]

Range Rover

Post #24154 Wed Apr 12 2006 7:50am
capetoniandewd

Ok, My vehicle is back from the dealer : The alignment and camber(Spelling?) is totally out, and the Alignment poeple said they could not get the alignment right, so further investigation revealed that the Tyre Rods are bent!

Surprise, surprise. What they then realised is that the RODS must have been bent when the vehicle was shipped and anchors were fastened to the Tyre rods to secure the vehicle during transport. This bent the rods, hence my problems.
Clamp marks can still be seen on the tyre rods apparently.

They have ordered the parts and will replace my tyres and the new RODS next week. I have my vehicle back and will take it back next week.

Will keep this forum updated of progress next wekk.
Thanks [b]Someone[/b]

Range Rover

Post #24562 Wed Apr 12 2006 5:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>