RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > Is it possible to lock MY10 when running?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Is it possible to lock MY10 when running?

As title says really - is it possible to start the rrs, get heat etc running, and lock it and keep the keys in my pocket?

I could do it on my E92 330d BMW and was great to get it warmed safely on these cold mornings, but can I do it in my 10 sport? If I press the buttons I just get the beeping sound, and it won't lock!

So is there a way round this for me?

Thanks! MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #283943 Thu Dec 23 2010 11:49pm
JC1

No i dont think there is....................so i just leave the missus sat in there while its defrosting Laughing Laughing Laughing MY10 3.0 HSE Santorini Black, Ivory Premium & extended leather, privacy, paddles, diamond turned alloys, Ipod lead that charges, tasmods, rrsport.co.uk stickers

Jeep 4.0 High Output XJ 94 6" teraflex lift, c/w rear coils, 9500lb winch, 35" TSL super swamper boggers, safari snorkel, custom made bumpers, tom woods custom double cardon driveshaft, twin electric fans. Don't follow it..............you wont make it. The first 4 x 4 by far.

Post #283950 Fri Dec 24 2010 1:15am
Vadim

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

You are right, the car would not lock from outside if the engine is running. I guess that is a security measure to prevent strangers from entering the vehicle and locking in and drive away. Keep in mind if the smart key is inside the car and the doors are locked, there is noway to open the doors from outside.
I guess you could try using both keys, leave one inside and lock the doors using the other key. But that sounds rather dangerous... the car may explode.... Confused Vadim A.

Post #283955 Fri Dec 24 2010 1:37am
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

I do it by starting the engine, lowering the drivers window, get out and shut the door, press the lock button by putting your hand in through the window, car will lock, then lift the window up button withdrawing your hand quickly! Car will be all locked up and secure. As long as you have the key you will be able to open the door as usual. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #283960 Fri Dec 24 2010 8:48am
big pimp

Brilliant Richard - good thinking!

@ Vadim - I'm not talking about leaving the smart key in the sport - I keep it on me at all times! And what have you done to your sport that if you leave the key in it, it may explode?! Shocked

In my BM, I put the smart key in its slot, started the engine, then pressed start/stop, removed the key, put foot on the brake, and pressed start/stop again, and the engine started with no key in it. I then got out of the car, and locked e doors using the key, and let the car run for 5mins to heat it up, and was hoping I could do something similar with my sport as I did not spec the £900 park heat option! MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #283972 Fri Dec 24 2010 10:56am
RichardM

big pimp wrote:
In my BM, I put the smart key in its slot, started the engine, then pressed start/stop, removed the key, put foot on the brake, and pressed start/stop again, and the engine started with no key in it. I then got out of the car, and locked e doors using the key, and let the car run for 5mins to heat it up, and was hoping I could do something similar with my sport as I did not spec the £900 park heat option!

I remember that well from my 335! Its easier on the RRS as you don't have to start and then stop the engine. In the Alfa I have to do the same as the RRS except to start it I have to hold the key near to the ignition (but not press it in as your supposed to). Amazing what you find on owners forums. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys

Post #283981 Fri Dec 24 2010 12:18pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

RichardM wrote:
I do it by starting the engine, lowering the drivers window, get out and shut the door, press the lock button by putting your hand in through the window, car will lock, then lift the window up button withdrawing your hand quickly! Car will be all locked up and secure. As long as you have the key you will be able to open the door as usual.

forgot about this tip till the other day when i had to stick my car on the road to take my wifes car out of the driveway at 5 in the morning - smugly put the window down, locked it then put window up. came back to it , pressed the unlock button and it just went , beep beep and now doors would not open. F Censored k!!!
i then started to panic, and tried to use the tailgate open button on the fob. nothing!!.

i then wondered how long the car would idle on a full tank......then realised i could manually open it with the emergancy key. managed to prise the handle off by the light of my phone and gained entry , phew!!

this tip does NOT work on a 2010 SE!!!

cheers
dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #287059 Thu Jan 27 2011 12:26am
RichardM

Do you not have keyless entry? WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

Post #287069 Thu Jan 27 2011 9:17am
NickM

United Kingdom 

Richard.....you never told me, how come the RRS has gone?? Whats replaced it? How is the Mito going?

Post #287070 Thu Jan 27 2011 9:19am
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

no, the Se hasnt got keyless - must be why i couldnt get in.
cheers
dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #287076 Thu Jan 27 2011 10:47am
RichardM

It definitely works on a car with keyless entry. Glad to hear you weren't locked out completely.

Nick, the Mito is a great little car although we haven't used it much, had it since early November and its not done 1K miles yet.

The RRS was always on a short term lease. Currently been replaced with this:

Crap picture sorry and its filthy already. I would have got another RRS but they are in such demand at the moment the lease company couldn't get one. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

Post #287186 Fri Jan 28 2011 12:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1