RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > 275's in the snow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Timf

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green
275's in the snow

Okay you northerners, we in the south are getting a dose of snow now. Can anyone with 275's on their 20'' wheels tell how they are getting on in the snow? Good reports as well as bad please....

Many thanks Smile

Post #281480 Tue Nov 30 2010 3:04pm
chris mc

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey
Re: 275's in the snow

Timf wrote:
Okay you northerners, we in the south are getting a dose of snow now. Can anyone with 275's on their 20'' wheels tell how they are getting on in the snow? Good reports as well as bad please....

Many thanks Smile

I'm not doing too bad at all on 22"s with 275's not bad at all

Post #281506 Tue Nov 30 2010 6:12pm
big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Okay now in the snow but I took a bit of a nosedive going down a steep hill where the snow was compacted into ice.

Apart from that I'm very impressed with it in snow mode MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #281529 Tue Nov 30 2010 7:28pm
Mail Order Ride

I danced around last winter on a set of 275 Pirellis and was impressed
There are plenty of threads slagging the Contis in snow though

I suggest a search Smile

Post #281571 Wed Dec 01 2010 8:39am
DSL

United Kingdom 

Some Contis are great in the snow, well the 235s certainly are! Mr. Green

Post #281580 Wed Dec 01 2010 9:36am
Rudskibaliblu

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Contis are holding up well even though I've got the complimentary bold edgeing strip, but I've had nothing to compare them to yet. Thumbs Up Now gone Orkney grey SDV6 HSE with body style kit contrast stitch ebony leather, privacy, black piano, 22" Lowenharts for summer, 20" with Leon LTZ for winter.
Here 110 black edition defender.

Post #281591 Wed Dec 01 2010 11:33am
carbostar

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Standard 20" bit unstable going down hill (road) on the ice, in snow ok but tend to float about on occasion, just fitted scorpion snow and ice on a spare set of 19" 'majestic' feel in full control, 19" the way to go 'my opinion'. a womans rule of thumb:if it has tyres or testicles your going to have trouble with it

Post #281783 Thu Dec 02 2010 9:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
domy123

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Java Black

22inch Stormers running 275's are absolutely faultless. You cant beat a RRS in the snow. I had an 08 plate 4.8 x5 last year and i would have been better of with a Robin reliant. If anyone has a problem with a RRS they may want to look at there driving. These cars certainly have there fair share of faults but snow and ice driving isn't one of them.

Post #281794 Thu Dec 02 2010 11:10pm
Vadim

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Hello fellas,

Have 275 contis and it is not so good on the snow, not surprised though. It is summer tyres, and summer tyres become almost ineffective once the temp comes to +2C, the same as winter tyres do not perform so good when temp go to +7C or so.

In snow, God forbid, any unexpected situation... you'll find yourself sliding or worse off the road if you drive summer tyres, that's a guarantee! Vadim A.

Post #281811 Fri Dec 03 2010 4:22am
big pimp

I just wanted to add a post about my 10 RRS in the snow.

After last weeks dancing in ice incident, I was keen to restore my faith in my sport.

Close to where I live there is a mountain where the television masts are placed and it offers some truly amazing views and scenery.
My sport is running the 275 20" conti's which are road tyres, let's make no bones about it.

The first thing to greet me is a steep hill, approx 1km from bottom to top, and it's a gradient of approx 30 - 40degrees the whole way. This was covered in approx 8" of snow, and in put my sport into GGS mode and it pulled up faultlessly.

From there it was a lot of winding roads to the summit.

I could't make it to the summit, because just before the summit there is a hairpin bend with a very steep turn and no matter what, I couldn't get it to get up that hairpin, but nonetheless, I was more than impressed at what the sport was capable of.

Coming back down was an experience though, especially on road tyres!

Everything was going great until I was coming to the original ascent!

Still in GGS mode but I started sliding downhill, with ABS juddering and screaming for dear life! I knew I was in bother and thought I might have to hit into a ditch to stop me, but graciously I got it under control before I went skating fir a km downhill and wrecked the RRS!

I remember reading about someone recently writing on here about how great the HDC is, (but it wasn't really helping me out!) but he still does it the old school way - low box and high gear - so in the middle of standing on by brake pedal, I knocked the gearbox into Neutral, selected low range, and used 2nd gear and sometimes 1st to take me down the hill.... And take me down it did.

How the engine managed to brake the wheels and control my rate of descent I don't know, but I am amazed by it.. Also I am so thankful I read and remembered what someone else had wisely written, because undoubtedly that is what saved my skin (and my sport!)

What I did was, in hindsight a bit foolish, but I guess like anything, you don't know capabilities if you don't try.

I am now seriously considering getting the AT tyres, because even though they are still 275 section, I think they should give more grip for things such as this.

I'll never realistically be on hills or roads like I trialled my sport on, but it's nice to know just what it can do..... Now I'm wondering what would it do with proper tyres!

Thanks for reading - I'll get a few pics up later when I plug my camera in!

Ross MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Last edited by big pimp on Fri Dec 03 2010 8:57am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #281812 Fri Dec 03 2010 8:31am
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Thumbs Up

Low gear could be a life saviour ! Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #281814 Fri Dec 03 2010 8:36am
lilweliwell

Ireland 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Alaska White

I have 285/25 R 22 Hankook winter tyres + snow program selected...no problems at all

Post #282157 Mon Dec 06 2010 10:22pm
big pimp

I'll add some pics up tomorrow when I take them off my iPhone!

I simply cannot believe where my RRS made it today on the standard 275 20's !

Up a field covered in a good 6" of snow - amazing! It just makes me wonder where it'll go when I put on either General Grabber AT's or else Cooper LTZ all terrains! MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #282176 Tue Dec 07 2010 12:23am
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I went all last winter in the Sport with 20" Pirellis on and only really had bother once but that was soon sorted with a quick reverse and a bit more speed the second time to clear the deep stuff!! Other than that it never moved and I hardly used GGS setting yet! Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #282258 Tue Dec 07 2010 9:05pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Dd you get those new tyres 4WDer??

Post #282266 Tue Dec 07 2010 9:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>