Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Older Supercharged LPG or new V6 3.0
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RoyDB9

United Kingdom 
Older Supercharged LPG or new V6 3.0

Hello all

Im new here and was wondering if you could help me out please?

I currently own a Vogue TDV8 and love it, but fancy a bit more involvement in the drive and its getting a bit of an expensive hobby at the fuel station.

I test drove the new style TDV8 sport (one of the very last made) and enjoyed it very much, but did think the turbo lag on the sport to be too much. i don't mind so much in my Vogue because its not supposed to be as sporty.

I then thought that i must have a go in a Supercharged but knew the fuel costs would be to high, so the compromise was the LPG converted way. So i test drove an older one and was blown away with the launch off the mark and the engine sound.

So, i have started looking around and there are a few, but i did expect more to exist. So this leaves me to wonder why?

My Questions:

1. Why is there not more about?
2. Why dont Landrover offer the LPG as an option at build?
3. How much fuel can you get in the spare wheel tank?
4. Why is the warranty affected when its fitted?
5. Are LPG cars much greener or just a little?

Am i missing something here? Surely all you lot have one on your drive - don't you?

Or should i just get the new 3.0 TDV6 which i test drove and thought i felt like i had to thrash the engine to find the sort of fun i crave?

Regards Roy Question

Post #280688 Sat Nov 20 2010 12:25am
RoyDB9

United Kingdom 

Just noticed i have posted this to the wrong place, told you i was new!

How do i move it?

Post #280690 Sat Nov 20 2010 12:28am
Jonas & Jonas

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

Hello Roy,

I dont personally know alot about this but I can tell you my experience with supercharged LPG RRS'S.

I bought one in 2008 after a long hunt (as you say they are hard to find) to find the right one. After a month of owning it I go so fed up of the running costs I converted it to LPG against Land Rovers advice. For a few months after it was excellent, I could drive like a hooligan in my big car and not break the bank every time I went to fill it up.

But ...

Long story short I had some big problems with the engine & Land Rover completely disowned it (was still in warranty). I had to fight them every time i needed any work doing even if it was interior issues!

Eventually I got sick, bought the TDV6 and a sports car ... Problems solved Thumbs Up

Post #280691 Sat Nov 20 2010 12:39am
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

The turbo lag of the TDV8 is frustrating, the 3.0 TDV6 doesn't suffer from it at all but you would miss the mid range grunt and the sound. How about trying a remapped TDV8? Or remapping yours? WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #280692 Sat Nov 20 2010 12:47am
Nice But Dim

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Jonas & Jonas wrote:
Hello Roy,

I dont personally know alot about this but I can tell you my experience with supercharged LPG RRS'S.

I bought one in 2008 after a long hunt (as you say they are hard to find) to find the right one. After a month of owning it I go so fed up of the running costs I converted it to LPG against Land Rovers advice. For a few months after it was excellent, I could drive like a hooligan in my big car and not break the bank every time I went to fill it up.

But ...

Long story short I had some big problems with the engine & Land Rover completely disowned it (was still in warranty). I had to fight them every time i needed any work doing even if it was interior issues!

Eventually I got sick, bought the TDV6 and a sports car ... Problems solved Thumbs Up

Agree with J&J

I own a S/C and asked my dealer while on a test drive about LPG, Guy Salmon Maidstone said they would not touch a LPg'd Car due to the lack of knowledge and many dealers are the same he told me.

You would need to check first with your dealer/independant that they can support you if anything goes wrong firstly or you could be left in quite a expensive situation.

Post #280695 Sat Nov 20 2010 1:40am
Rislar

England 

Personally i couldn't see why you'd bother the diesel has more than enough power for anyone!! If it aint broke leave it!

MY 18, Autobiography
MY 05, 07, 10,

Post #280697 Sat Nov 20 2010 2:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caperbility

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

I went from a 2006 Vogue tdv8 to a 55 plate first edition RRS Supercharged for exactly the reason you have stated. Fuel consumption is between 16-21 mpg but the smile on my face everytime i get in is priceless. I spoke to a few people about the gas option but i tended to get more negative comments about it than positive so i didnt bother in the end.. Thumbs Up

Post #280707 Sat Nov 20 2010 8:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RoyDB9

United Kingdom 

caperbility wrote:
I went from a 2006 Vogue tdv8 to a 55 plate first edition RRS Supercharged for exactly the reason you have stated. Fuel consumption is between 16-21 mpg but the smile on my face everytime i get in is priceless. I spoke to a few people about the gas option but i tended to get more negative comments about it than positive so i didnt bother in the end.. Thumbs Up

whats the difference between te first addition RRS and next version?

Post #280711 Sat Nov 20 2010 9:23am
RoyDB9

United Kingdom 

Jonas & Jonas wrote:
Hello Roy,

But ...

Was the engine problem to do with the head & valves? the reason i ask is that i keep reading that the lpg fuel has not got any lubricant properties (unlike diesel or petrol) and runs through as a dry fuel which in turn causes friction, therefore getting hot and causing valve problems.

just so that you know i was thinking of getting a car out of warranty anyway because i have a fleet of vans and could hide any repair costs within there excellent engine repair workshop in High Wycombe (RH Autos, West Wycombe Road).

Post #280717 Sat Nov 20 2010 10:58am
RoyDB9

United Kingdom 

RichardM wrote:
The turbo lag of the TDV8 is frustrating, the 3.0 TDV6 doesn't suffer from it at all but you would miss the mid range grunt and the sound. How about trying a remapped TDV8? Or remapping yours?

Is yours remapped?

- If so, Is it better on fuel
- Is the turbo lag problem completely sorted, part sorted or just a little bit better?
- Is there a lot of black smoke when putting your foot down hard?
- Is it one of those plug in types because my TDV8 is going in for software upgrade on Mon morning and they said if i had had a remap this would be deleted whilst new software is loaded. BTW it is a major upgrade - no rear wiper, no rain sensor etc etc

Post #280718 Sat Nov 20 2010 11:06am
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

I haven't as mine is on a short term lease but have a look at this thread.
http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic19538.html?highlight=remap WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #280720 Sat Nov 20 2010 11:29am
carlos50

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

If your thinking of buying a £25k min RRS then is an extra few £££ a week really an issue ?. If so then you are looking at the wrong car.

I just bough a First Edition S/C and its excellent, sounds better than the diesels without exception.

BTW the cost of an LPG upgrade if done correctly is circa £3k, thats a years fuel and you would still have to buy diesel at the same cost of petrol. The saving takes years to claw back.

My opinion, if you want sporty get the S/C, if you want economy get a diesel. If mpg is a big issue get a smaller car.

Hope you dont think this post harsh, ive been there with the same questions over the years and been told this very answer.

If you buy a S/C you will love it. Stuff the LPG Very Happy

Carl

Post #280722 Sat Nov 20 2010 12:09pm
Misery

United Kingdom 

I agree with Carlos, the cost of the converstion is a good years motoring.

I still think there is nothing better than to hear the SC whine, and another plus petrol still smells better. Wink Wink

Post #280724 Sat Nov 20 2010 12:24pm
RoyDB9

United Kingdom 

carlos50 wrote:
If your thinking of buying a £25k min RRS then is an extra few £££ a week really an issue ?. If so then you are looking at the wrong car.

I just bough a First Edition S/C and its excellent, sounds better than the diesels without exception.

BTW the cost of an LPG upgrade if done correctly is circa £3k, thats a years fuel and you would still have to buy diesel at the same cost of petrol. The saving takes years to claw back.

My opinion, if you want sporty get the S/C, if you want economy get a diesel. If mpg is a big issue get a smaller car.

Hope you dont think this post harsh, ive been there with the same questions over the years and been told this very answer.

Carl

Thank you Carl

Would your opinion change if the conversion had already been done?
Been offered one with 83000 miles 55 plate, good condition with LPG for just £18k
Crunch time....

Post #280725 Sat Nov 20 2010 12:36pm
Jonas & Jonas

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

Quote:
Was the engine problem to do with the head & valves? the reason i ask is that i keep reading that the lpg fuel has not got any lubricant properties (unlike diesel or petrol) and runs through as a dry fuel which in turn causes friction, therefore getting hot and causing valve problems.

just so that you know i was thinking of getting a car out of warranty anyway because i have a fleet of vans and could hide any repair costs within there excellent engine repair workshop in High Wycombe (RH Autos, West Wycombe Road).

I had Head & Value problems, Fuel pressure problems, and every engine warning light in the book Smile
I could never recommend converting a supercharged RRS to anyone after my experiences.

Quote:

Have you had one?

I'm not a "tight" person & I have no problem with spending lots of money on motoring. But when you've bought a car for 25k (your figure), and on top of that you've got expensive insurance, a years tax, LR services and you've now got to spend £400 a month to keep the thing running ... It just doesn't add up to me. If we were talking about a Ferrari or an Aston fine, but a big slow 4x4 (0-60 7.5 in my head doesn't get quick car status) in this day & age should not cost that much in my opinion.

And I got my conversion done for £1700 by a proper garage.

Post #280728 Sat Nov 20 2010 12:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>