RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Depreciation?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JKay

Australia 
Depreciation?

Hello All

I have been looking at a few RR Sports for sale and initially wanted to get a used (07, 08 or 09), and prices for one I'd get are around $80-85k.

But then I see they are doing brand new ones with a few options (sunroof etc etc) for $107k). This one in particular was a TDV6 3.0l.

So I am thinking option A. Pay 30k more and I get a brand spanker, and maybe sell in a few years for around $80k and lose 30k.

Or option B if I get an 08 model for $80k, do you think I will lose as much if I sell after 3 years?

I dont mind the older (2008) models. I would be quite happy with one but am interested on advice and opinions on the above. Mainly if you think a used one would actually make more sense or not?

Thanks in advance

Post #280469 Wed Nov 17 2010 1:40pm
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Brand new TDV6 in MY08 form (per my car) would have cost $90k to $95k OTR with a couple of basic options such as Sunroof and tow pack, depending on dealer. (Lots of options, partic sat nav, would have pushed it over $100k OTR)

I think I recently saw MY07's and MY08's on carsales.com.au going for ~$75k at an indie, with private sales just under $70k.. Thus you'd be getting around $60k on a trade in my very rough maths on a MY08 right now...

On a used MY08, I would guess you could lose a further ~$20k over the next couple of years.. What people will start to understand as they enter the used market is the relative high maintenance - the ball joints etc etc etc..

Not sure what depreciation on MY10's will be, $30K may be correct, but you could find that it's higher and moving towards $40k over 3 years.. Only time will tell.. They do seem to be selling more and more of them though, so relatively will be a lot more in the used market as time moves forward.

These are just my opinions for what its worth...

good luck with your decision

Post #280525 Wed Nov 17 2010 11:43pm
BKHK

Australia 

Yep, I agree with 2nd Rower, while 2 or 3 year old ones sell for anywhere between $75-85k they are traded in the mid $60s so you will lose more than than what you see as the difference between "sale" price.

I am going to find it very hard to justify buying new again from a financial perspective and mine is a "company" car from a tax deduction point of view

I would look at 2008-2009 and screw HARD on price, there are LOTS for sale around the country. Try to buy one with some warranty and then put some money away for running and repairs and I think you will have made the wisest decision.

Post #280530 Thu Nov 18 2010 12:00am
ivery819

From my dealings:
In "real" terms, late '06 TDV6 under 60,000 km, in good nick, as a trade against current model V6 (at "real" price ) is worth under $50K Big Cry
That's over $50k depreciation in 4 years.
It takes some doing to get the dealers back to non-inflated, truthful figures on the proposed purchase.

Post #280537 Thu Nov 18 2010 1:08am
JKay

Australia 

2nd Rower wrote:
What people will start to understand as they enter the used market is the relative high maintenance - the ball joints etc etc etc..

Thanks for all your replies. I am now thinking a used one would probably be a better proposition for me based on my circumstances

Just another question then, based on everyones experience here, do you think buying an 07/08 will give me lots of problems and will I end up spending lots on maintenance (ball joints etc as mentioned above)? Basically what are these cars (07/08 ones) like to live with, bottomless pits?

Thanks again

JKay

Post #280541 Thu Nov 18 2010 3:37am
2nd Rower

All modern cars are complex and parts, especially from Europe are comparitively expensive. So when buying used my opinion is to get a full comprehensive warranty..

Whether it's ball joints, or another component failing, its then down to is it a wear and tear item, or is it a failure you can claim on the warranty (T&C's).

I believe a ZF gearbox 'rebuild' (Land Rover, BMW, Audi, VW etc etc) runs to the $000's, and some think - contrary to what Land Rover say - that the should not be sealed for life, but oil changed at ~60k km's.

So in short running any moden European car out of warranty has risk that a component failure will cost $000's rather than $00's. Not that any one brand may be more realible or unreliable than the next!

Then again you may get a good European car that lasts for years with nothing other than standard servicing costs!

Last edited by 2nd Rower on Sat Nov 20 2010 9:26am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #280699 Sat Nov 20 2010 3:38am
JKay

Australia 

Thanks 2ndRower

I've just done a search for warranty in Australia and couldnt find much.

What are my options for a warranty if I am buying one used?

From what I understand I will only have a warranty if it has a remainder of the manufacturers warranty, which I can look at extending if I wish.

Is this correct, or is there somewhere else I can purchase a warranty. (I couldnt find anything on the search)

Thanks

Post #280710 Sat Nov 20 2010 9:00am
2nd Rower

Land Rover do one themselves now - call a dealer, and I think Zilch bougt one from Allianz..

Post #280716 Sat Nov 20 2010 10:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1