Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > ECU chassis number
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Trefor

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Java Black
ECU chassis number

Hi everyone.
Recently found my RRS TDV6 (late 2007) may have been cloned - or I have bought a clone!
Main Land Rover dealer checked chasis number in vehicle ECU. Police said this could not be changed and as it matched the chassis number it was supposed to, they tell me that they regard my vehicle as the genuine one.
Can the ECU chassis number be changed? if not, what happens if ECU goes faulty and needs to be changed?
Thoughts would be appreciated either to re-assure or otherwise (Cloned vehicle also had correct physical chassis /VIN number but its ECU not yet checked). Many thanks
Trefor

Post #277117 Fri Oct 01 2010 6:54pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Sounds like you have a problem there Trefor, I suppose it's a problem with so many Black RRS's around that they are dead easy to make blend in and nobody botheres to look at them.
I had a visit from our local plod one day about 4 years ago. The had traced all Range Rover Sports owned in their patch as there had been a load stolen over night in the east of the county. They wanted to warn me about taking care and to report any non-local people snopping round our courtyard looking at the cars and then they noticed mine and told me it was "highly unlikely they would be interested in taking yours as it would be too difficult to move on". It was a Giverny Green RRS and very few were sold in the UK. You need to get it resprayed Tangiers Orange.............................. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #277123 Fri Oct 01 2010 7:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Govette

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 S Bonatti Grey

My advice would be to drop a quick email to Black Box Solutions and ask them. The LR dealership wouldn't have a clue what can be done with the ECUs outside of what their T4 tells them. The faultmate thing Black Box produce is able to alter every peice of software that is variable, so should be able to tell you about altering VINs. From memory, I believe that blank ECUs can be loaded with car details, inc identity, stored in various places in the other onboard computers, and that a T4 disc is produced with the details of all vehicles, both for use when replacements are required, but not sure how the ECU checks for 'truth' once told.
Hope that helps
Gov 4wding only starts when you have to get out the cab. Everything before that is just driving on crap roads!

Post #277141 Sat Oct 02 2010 8:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1