RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > North Wales and Bala
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green
North Wales and Bala

Just got back from 10 days in North Wales staying in Abersoch. Covered 1200 miles and the car performed perfectly. Its amazing the way it chauffeured us up the motorway in complete comfort, swallowed all of our luggage, could be driven anywhere off road and then is great fun on the twisty Welsh roads with the gearbox in sport and the adaptive dynamics set to dynamic.

Whilst there I joined the Land Rover Experience Snowdonia 'Adventure Day' in Bala where you take your own car along. They run this monthly on the second Sunday of each month. We had a fantastic day, met some great people and it was all run perfectly by the LRE guys. One of the Disco drivers did comment I was brave, I'm not sure if he meant for taking the car off road or for me letting Helen have a go Very Happy . She loved it and is keen to go again soon.

Some pics... sorry the RRS isn't in most of them as I was driving most of the time.

At the start:

One with Helen driving:

I got up here first go, most of the other guys took several attempts.

The RRS made it through this with no problems. The white petrol V8 Defender stalled in the middle and most of the other Defenders let loads of water into the cabin.

This guy had owned his classic RR for 12 years and it was the first time he had ever taken it off road!

Ok so I did get stuck once. I didn't put the MTR's on the car as I couldn't face the whole holiday with them on with the extra noise and didn't have room to take them as luggage. Help was always on hand though.

A couple more pics from our travels:

WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Last edited by RichardM on Thu Sep 23 2010 11:41pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #276561 Thu Sep 23 2010 11:19pm
Old Stager

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Very intersesting. I am thinking of taking my pristine MY10 TDV8 on the same event in November. They promote it as 'non damaging' and suitable for vehicles with road tyres, but looking at some of your pics maybe I'd question that! Did you come through it unscathed? What wheels/tyres were you using? Can I borrow your car Thumbs Up 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.
IN THE GARAGE: BMW i8 - the mid-life crisis continues and it's great fun.

Post #276562 Thu Sep 23 2010 11:34pm
RichardM

I was using the standard 20" alloys/tyres. It was no problem getting stuck the once as they soon helped me out.

For the water runs they did offer a alternative route but the guy assured me they take 2010 RRS's through there everyday with no problems and he was right. He said at the start the defenders may have a problem with that part because of the reduced wading depth.

The only damage was scratches/knocks to the front alloys. If they hadn't taken us through the heathland bit it would probably have avoided that so I'm not sure why they took that route. I will get the front wheels refurbished now but I'm not too worried as they had a few kurb marks anyway.

I wish I could have used my 19" wheels with the MTR's but the road noise they create is too much to put up with for the whole holiday. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys

Post #276564 Thu Sep 23 2010 11:51pm
Old Stager

Thanks, that's really helpful. I opted for the 19" wheels from new (fitted with Scorpion Zeros), so I guess in theory there should be less chance of damaging them. However I'd be gutted if I had to have them refurbed after the off road day...maybe I'll give it a miss Sad I've got a Land Rover Experience booked in a couple of weeks with the same people who organise the Snowdonia day, so I'll get some more info from them. 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.

Post #276571 Fri Sep 24 2010 7:36am
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

looks top!!! might go to a pay and play day in a week (http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic19279.html) but afraid of the clean up issue with sand... Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #276575 Fri Sep 24 2010 8:15am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #276576 Fri Sep 24 2010 9:01am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Great piccies - looks like serious fun but definitely one to do in someone elses car! Thumbs Up FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #276579 Fri Sep 24 2010 9:39am
RichardM

Old Stager wrote:
Thanks, that's really helpful. I opted for the 19" wheels from new (fitted with Scorpion Zeros), so I guess in theory there should be less chance of damaging them. However I'd be gutted if I had to have them refurbed after the off road day...maybe I'll give it a miss Sad I've got a Land Rover Experience booked in a couple of weeks with the same people who organise the Snowdonia day, so I'll get some more info from them.

Looking at the wheels today after cleaning the car I think I'll get all 4 refurbed. I'm not too bothered as I took the risk by not fitting my spare 19" wheels. It is fun taking your own car as the Land Rover Experience is more about tuition rather than just going out there and enjoying what the cars can do. The 20" 5 spoke wheels do show any scratch but look good.

Bradders wrote:
Great piccies - looks like serious fun but definitely one to do in someone elses car! Thumbs Up

I can't really argue with that, I don't own it a lease company does! WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

Post #276632 Fri Sep 24 2010 8:52pm
Old Stager

I know what you mean about the 20" wheels. When I took one for a test drive i did about half a mile down a slightly rough track and the fronts were wrecked I really thought it was bad for a vehicle that is promoted as such a competant off roader. I think the dealer only let me off 'cos I placed the order - but with 19" wheels Wink 14.5MY SDV6 HSE Dynamic Indus silver/lunar/ebony 20" wheels, InControl, full-size spare, electric tow bar, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise control, auto main beam assist. Gone: TDV8 HSE; Zermatt silver/ebony, 19" off road alloys, active diff, particle filter, tow pack (it was fun) BMW 730D SE (great car, sadly missed). Ford Focus RS mk2, Ultimate green, lux pack 2, bluetooth. The start of my mid-life crisis.

Post #276635 Fri Sep 24 2010 9:03pm
pcregeen

Disco3 side of web site did a forum only day a year or so back and I took my discovery. Best off road day ever. LRE are amazing and doing in your own car so much more satisfying. I did harder route as had some at2 on the wheels at the time. No body damage but all four alloys were wrecked after though. IMHO worth the damage as everyone should experience this side of the LR badge at least once.

I will keep eyes on disco 3 web to see if doing again next jan

Pete

Post #276668 Sat Sep 25 2010 8:21pm
simonsti

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

Just done this today, had a great day.
The sport really is awsome off road. 2014 Nara Bronze SDV6
GONE TDV6 HSE RRS in Giverny green,Ebony interior, Side steps,Tints, PTI, Tow pack, mud flaps, Side strips and Dynamics pack.

Post #282859 Sun Dec 12 2010 11:21pm
RichardM

Well done mate! Did your car survive without any scars? Was it a good turnout? Any pics? WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

Post #282860 Sun Dec 12 2010 11:32pm
Vadim

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Hi RichardM,

Thanks for the photos, they look amazing. It's always nice to see RRS offroad! Can't believe that guy went offroad with his RR first time in 12 years! Vadim A.

Post #282862 Mon Dec 13 2010 12:58am
gaz3014

United Kingdom 

Fantastic pictures....would love to do something like that!! Thumbs Up Why wait till tomorrow, when today is already here!

Gone: MY 10 RRS HSE, MY 12 RRS AB, MY 13 RR Evoque
Coming: MY 17 RRS AB

Post #285414 Mon Jan 10 2011 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1