Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Landrover Detachable Towbar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

~JayK~

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Landrover Detachable Towbar

Hi All

Could someone please advise if the landrover factory fitted towbars (detachable one with the green lock) - fit snug, or are they somewhat loose - allowing some rocking sideways and front to back movement?

Reason I ask - we used ours to tow this weekend - and the towbar gives a knocking noise when you go over uneaven ground.

Never had a RR before - but I do not like the noise the towbar makes compared to other towbars I have had.

Any input would be appreciated (oh and yes - it was pushed into the slot until the pin activated the locking bolt).

Jay

Post #275108 Tue Aug 31 2010 8:25pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Usually the problem is getting the darned thing out of the slot they fit so tightly. The only LR removable tow hook I have owned that rattled in the slot was on my first FFRR, the 2 RRS's it was a snug fit and never rattled and now with my new FFRR the receiver (US style) type fitting is also a much better fit than on the first L322. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #275110 Tue Aug 31 2010 9:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GeoA(Atl)07SC

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Tim, what did you mean U.S. style? What is FFRR? Thanks for explaining? What brand is the U.S. Style tow hitch? Thanks and best wishes,
770 634 5437

Post #275123 Wed Sep 01 2010 2:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
~JayK~

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Usually the problem is getting the darned thing out of the slot they fit so tightly. The only LR removable tow hook I have owned that rattled in the slot was on my first FFRR, the 2 RRS's it was a snug fit and never rattled and now with my new FFRR the receiver (US style) type fitting is also a much better fit than on the first L322.

Thanks Tim - I have asked LR today and they advised it is due to having no grease on the removable part Rolling Eyes

Not sure what they are thinking here - but i am pretty sure they have given me the wrong unit for my car (they remove them whilst on the forecourt, to prevent stealing them).
I am going to check with another manufacturer and see if there is anything I can do - as I simply do not trust this unit.
I do not think this knocking will do the small pin any good - which could ultimately shear off due to stresses placed upon it with the knocking I get.

Regds

Jay

Post #275163 Wed Sep 01 2010 6:16pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

@Jay - Never had to grease any of the detachable tow bars I've had! I think too you have the wrong size hook if that is possible.

@GEOA - the FFRR is the L322, Sport's big brother the FULL FAT Range Rover, RRS is also Range Rover Lite..........
The USA style is the 2" square receiver style - over here FFRR gets a subframe bolted under the car with the 2" square receiver, then the various attachments like hooks and bike racks also have a square mount on them as well makes attachment and removal easy.
This is the Range Rover's system, it is made by a company called Westphalia

Click image to enlarge

Looks like this when fitted, it has a blanking piece in it when not in use

and here is what goes into it - it is incredibly heavy too!
Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #275166 Wed Sep 01 2010 6:56pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

I had a hitch like that on my Ford Sierra with a rack for an offroad motorbike (Yamaha IT465) it was fine until one day another car ran into the back of the sierra and the hitch went through the diff housing Sad

Re the detachable RRS tow bar it is not a perfect fit but once it is locked up there is no movement. I've towed up to 4 tonnes with mine without any problem. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #275194 Thu Sep 02 2010 8:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1