RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Hankook vs Pirelli - worth the extra?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

aledhughes

Hankook vs Pirelli - worth the extra?

Hi

My 58 TDV8 needs some new shoes.

She is currently on a set on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros that have been on the car since new, and have delivered what seems to be very good mileage at a smidge over 24,000 miles.

However, I have been quoted £1010 for a new set (inc fitting), which is a lot (double near enough!) the price for the Hankooks.

My question is this...........will i be dissapointed in the ride/grip offered by the cheaper tyre, and can I expect them to last as long as the current Pirellis?

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up

AH

Post #274482 Mon Aug 23 2010 2:38pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Plenty of folks seem to have gone for the Hankooks on here, nobody seems to have had any issues with them and also nobody has commented about their longevity either. I replaced my Pirellis with another set of the same though, mainly because I got a deal of 4 for the price of 3, including fitting/valves/balancing and nitrogen inflation that cost me £900 for 4 tyres. I got approx 27000 out of my Pirellis before shredding one and slashing another on a pot hole 10 days before I sold the car to LPR, the two good tyres still had at least another 5-6000 miles wear left too........... Big Cry Big Cry 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #274486 Mon Aug 23 2010 3:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I have Hankooks on my 20'' SC rims (spare in my garage at the mo) and Pirelli Scorpions on my 19'' rims. The Hankooks are a fine tyre. Great price, quality tyre and does what is says on the tin. I have no problems recommending them and to be honest, when my 19'' pirellis are needing replaced, Hankook is what is going on the rims.
Muff If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #274515 Mon Aug 23 2010 11:20pm
aledhughes

Thanks Muffd and Tim.

I have since spoken to a couple of tyre providers who both made unflattering comments re. the Hankooks, particularly their grip levels in the wet (one of them was a forum sponsor), so I think I may be verying back towards the pricey Pirellis! Big Cry

Can anyone else confirm or deny before I break open my piggybank??

Cheers

A

Post #274616 Wed Aug 25 2010 1:44pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

I know that JE Engineering run their vehicles on Hankooks and highly recommend them.
They're bound to be a tad less grippy than the pirellis because they are harder rubber with better wear. But over the years on here I've heard nothing but good reports about the Hankooks from a few people on here who use them. Better off road as well. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #274619 Wed Aug 25 2010 2:17pm
rrsowner

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey

Had Hankooks on my previous RRSport and there appeared to be no difference in wet weather handling. Pirelli's lasted 30k miles and Hankooks had covered just over 20k miles when car was traded with plenty of tread left. I would certainly recommend them and seem to recall I paid about £440 for four fitted. Very Happy Long suffering RRS Owner, but I can't help it!

Post #274622 Wed Aug 25 2010 3:12pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 

I can recommend the Hankooks - way better handling than the crapinentals they replaced and no difference in the wet. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #274629 Wed Aug 25 2010 5:34pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Had Hankooks on my past Lexus RX300 and where great all round for wear and grip and being all weather with M+S rating great in winter, i have just fitted 2 Hankook Ventus to front on the RRS with 2 in the garage to go on the backs when ready, did a road trip last week through Ireland in all kinds of conditions and heavy rain and as expected behaved flawlessly, so it a big Thumbs Up from me for the Hankooks and at less than £100 per corner great value.

Post #274636 Wed Aug 25 2010 6:28pm
JC1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Must admit i have only heard good things regarding Hankooks, my neighbour has them on his Q7 and swears by them, said they performed really well in the snow too Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

He keeps laughing at my conti's with worn shoulders after only 5.5k Big Cry Big Cry MY10 3.0 HSE Santorini Black, Ivory Premium & extended leather, privacy, paddles, diamond turned alloys, Ipod lead that charges, tasmods, rrsport.co.uk stickers

Jeep 4.0 High Output XJ 94 6" teraflex lift, c/w rear coils, 9500lb winch, 35" TSL super swamper boggers, safari snorkel, custom made bumpers, tom woods custom double cardon driveshaft, twin electric fans. Don't follow it..............you wont make it. The first 4 x 4 by far.

Post #274660 Wed Aug 25 2010 9:29pm
aledhughes

leedsunited wrote:
Had Hankooks on my past Lexus RX300 and where great all round for wear and grip and being all weather with M+S rating great in winter, i have just fitted 2 Hankook Ventus to front on the RRS with 2 in the garage to go on the backs when ready, did a road trip last week through Ireland in all kinds of conditions and heavy rain and as expected behaved flawlessly, so it a big Thumbs Up from me for the Hankooks and at less than £100 per corner great value.

Think I'll go for the Hankooks as any performance gap would only manifest itself "at the limit" if at all. Where did you get them for £100 per corner Leeds?

Cheers

Post #274836 Fri Aug 27 2010 12:07pm
leedsunited

aledhughes wrote:
leedsunited wrote:

Think I'll go for the Hankooks as any performance gap would only manifest itself "at the limit" if at all. Where did you get them for £100 per corner Leeds?

Cheers

I got them from these guy's on ebay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BK-RACING-Alloy-W...ec0Q2em322

Not sure if they have any left but worth a call Thumbs Up

Post #274847 Fri Aug 27 2010 4:49pm
muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

a wise choice. The only people who will tell you they are not as good as mainstream brands is the tyre dealers who have self interest. I have Hankooks on 4 of my cars and I have used them on the RRS for 2 years now with my 20'' wheels. My Merc handles a treat with them in all weather conditions (RWD). Thumbs Up If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #274943 Sat Aug 28 2010 11:45pm
mmylonas

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver
tyre choice - any different for supercharged?

I've read the above comments with interest and just wondered whether there was any difference in the recommendations for an RRS Supercharged over the TDV8 and other models. Pirelli Scorpions Zero Assimettricos on the back just up for renewal and wincing slightly at the £225+ currently quoted by even the most competitive suppliers

Any advice/experience gratefully received.

Michael

Post #275429 Sun Sep 05 2010 8:40pm
aledhughes

Re: tyre choice - any different for supercharged?

mmylonas wrote:
I've read the above comments with interest and just wondered whether there was any difference in the recommendations for an RRS Supercharged over the TDV8 and other models. Pirelli Scorpions Zero Assimettricos on the back just up for renewal and wincing slightly at the £225+ currently quoted by even the most competitive suppliers

Michael

Will you be replacing all 4 or the rear 2 only?

My rears have worn more than the fronts but I have been advised (allbeit by the tyre salesmen!) that I need to change all 4 at the same time or I risk damaging various other components. Sounded like a sales pitch but I do seem to remember reading something along those lines when I had a TT in the distant past.

Post #275477 Mon Sep 06 2010 2:06pm
leedsunited

Re: tyre choice - any different for supercharged?

aledhughes wrote:
mmylonas wrote:

Michael

Will you be replacing all 4 or the rear 2 only?

My rears have worn more than the fronts but I have been advised (allbeit by the tyre salesmen!) that I need to change all 4 at the same time or I risk damaging various other components. Sounded like a sales pitch but I do seem to remember reading something along those lines when I had a TT in the distant past.

Good tyre salesman talking absolute b Censored s, i would love to know what are the supposed components that would be damaged Question

Post #275478 Mon Sep 06 2010 2:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>