Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > 2010 TDv8 FFRR compared to 2007 TDv8 RRS - trip figures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
2010 TDv8 FFRR compared to 2007 TDv8 RRS - trip figures

Ok here we go:

The trip north today was a disaster for trying to get decent mpg figures with 2 smashes on the M6 that had me sitting in inching traffic for almost an hour on each occasion so Ave Speed and mpg took a hit, also from Preston north to Beattock there is a lot of long uphill sections. On the way south to LPR I had a clear run and the RRS managed 32.2mpg over 435miles at an average speed of 62.3mph for the trip.

The FFRR has only 2250 miles on it now so it's not loosened up yet, also I think it's early life in central London has caused the gearbox to dislike going into 6th gear and staying there - slightest pressure on the loud pedal and it dropped out of 6th into 4th and leapt away (it's get up and go is as good as the RRS that's for sure!) so the gearbox needs some re-educating!

Click image to enlarge

This trip distance is LPR to Moto Services at J9 M9/M8
Click image to enlarge

Oh dear all that crawling really took it's toll on the ave speed
Click image to enlarge

Plenty of reserve left in the tank too means I can get 5-6 days of local driving in as well now I'm home
Click image to enlarge

It will be very interesting to see what it can get on a trip south - I would think there is no reason why it shouldn't get the same as the RRS or maybe even better.

Comparing the driving experience - well the peace and quiet and unflustered natureof the FF was welcome after the RRS, for example in the RRS I felt and heard every expansion joint of the elevated section of the M6 round Brum, You hear them but don't feel them in the FF, FFRR simply smoothers road imperfections, and it's even better now than it was in the TD6 I used to have. Compared to the TD6, the fuel consumption of the TDv8 FFRR is better and the get up and go instant. What have I missed from the RRS? Really only not having the adaptive cruise - I used to curse the ease with which it slammed on the anchors but you forget also how it imperceptably slowed you to the speed of the car in front - the FFRR has conventional cruise as standard (although I won't miss the frequency in the winter when the RRS would tell me Cruise not available - sensor blocked!) I thought the FFRR doesn't have a chilled centre cubby, but it does, it just doesn't have a refrigerated cubby box, my iphone and keyfob were almost too cold to touch when I took them out this afternoon - the centre cubby is plumbed into the aircon and the box isn't insulated. Of course not having DR like the RRS the FF does roll a little in fast cornering, but it's not as pronounced as it was in my previous FF. The Full Fat's 19" wheels and tyres with more sidewall also make the ride more waft-mobile. The interior of the 2010FF is sooooooo much nicer than the 2007 RRS too, but the 2010 RRS isn't far far off the FF now. Oh and one thing that is still unbeatable in the Full Fat is the aircon, even set at a 20 on the dials and the "ambiance dial" set at the middle it was pretty chilly inside, much colder than the RRS at the same individual setting!

And if anybody is wondering what the yellow pointer is on the speedo it is the overspeed alarm setting indicator, when you set the cruise a green band appears round the circumference of the speedo, stopping at the speed you have set and then it becomes a green pointer at the set speed, cancel cruise and it disappears and resume brings back the green arc and pointer! I don't know if the 2010 RRS has this in it's instrument display too. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #273158 Thu Aug 05 2010 7:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green
Re: 2010 TDv8 FFRR compared to 2007 TDv8 RRS - trip figures

Tim in Scotland wrote:
The FFRR has only 2250 miles on it now so it's not loosened up yet, also I think it's early life in central London has caused the gearbox to dislike going into 6th gear and staying there - slightest pressure on the loud pedal and it dropped out of 6th into 4th and leapt away.

Great report Tim, sounds like your really enjoying it! This annoys me with mine, with the adaptive cruise control set its far to eager to kick down from 6th to 4th to speed up. If it just stayed in 6th at 70mph and used the torque of the engine to accelerate it would be much smoother and just as quick.

Tim in Scotland wrote:
The interior of the 2010FF is sooooooo much nicer than the 2007 RRS too, but the 2010 RRS isn't far far off the FF now.

I thought that but then after driving a 2010 FFRR for a while at the LRE centre and then getting back in the Sport the 2010 RRS felt basic inside and nowhere near as 'special'.

Tim in Scotland wrote:
And if anybody is wondering what the yellow pointer is on the speedo it is the overspeed alarm setting indicator, when you set the cruise a green band appears round the circumference of the speedo, stopping at the speed you have set and then it becomes a green pointer at the set speed, cancel cruise and it disappears and resume brings back the green arc and pointer! I don't know if the 2010 RRS has this in it's instrument display too.

Nope it doesn't. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #273170 Thu Aug 05 2010 10:07pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

yep great report mate as you mentioned the smoother ride, the air con AND not to forget the space inside and on the back seats makes it *Bentley like* Cool 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #273186 Fri Aug 06 2010 7:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1