RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Car drifts to left
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Mudchucker

Car drifts to left

Am I right in thinking that I read somewhere on this forum that this is a common problem with some cars and that others are fine? The probelm is most noticeable on the motorway where it changes lanes if you let go of the steering. Mine has done this since new and having only just got round to sending it to the dealers they sent it back saying that they all pull to the left and mine was one of the better ones! When I suggested a 4 wheel alignment they said that they didn't have the kit to do it but that that wouldn't be part warranty cover anyway?

Surely this cannot be right. In my mind the car has not been set up correctly from new and surely Land Rover are not going to accept that all cars pull to the left - once this became common knowledge no one would buy them.

How many others have had this fault and what is the cure. More importantly how many have cars that drive absolutley straight?

Post #20155 Thu Mar 23 2006 5:47pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Mudchucker - my car drives in a perfectly straight line, but then it has had a virtual rebuild. Tell your dealer to pull his finger out and suggests he looks at this forum. There is mention of this and I'm sure someone will find the link for you. Best of luck. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #20156 Thu Mar 23 2006 5:49pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the forum, Mudchucker! Smile Mine does drive straight, but certainly others have had to have various fixes done to ensure their cars do the same. You can read all about forum member RRUK's alignment issues here:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p...mp;start=0

But if you do a search on "alignment" you get a few results! 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #20160 Thu Mar 23 2006 5:52pm
Mudchucker

Thanks Guys. I will go back to the dealer armed with the facts.

This maybe a stupid question but how do I print off the motorway drift thread? When I print it seems to miss half the page width off and I cannot seems to adjust it - does anyone know?

Thanks

Post #20219 Thu Mar 23 2006 10:47pm
chex

copy paste it into word and resize it

Post #20230 Fri Mar 24 2006 12:04am
Mudchucker

Thanks chex - that seemed to work

Post #20318 Fri Mar 24 2006 11:26am
PaulB

England 

I'm staggered at the blind stupidity of a dealer that claims "they all do that". Evil or Very Mad
Mudchucker, you should name and shame the dealer in question so that everyone else can steer well clear. For the record, mine tracks perfectly straight.

Paul

Post #20465 Fri Mar 24 2006 8:11pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mine does too, keeps to the straight and doesn't drift ................. unless I've been offroading in it and have mud stuck in the backs of the wheels acting as mini balance weights and then wheel wobble and drifting are chronic. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Sat Mar 25 2006 11:02am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #20468 Fri Mar 24 2006 8:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mudchucker

PaulB - it's interesting what you say. I really couldn't believe it either, mind you it was the girl on service reception who I can't help thinking was only saying what she had been told to say by the workshop. She then claimed they had sent two seperate drivers out and neither could find anythng wrong - which led me to question why they needed two people to confirm that nothing was wrong. Surely if the first was mechanically competent his findings would have been enough?

I did get into an exhchnage with her where I stated that I don't expect to $45K for a car which pulls to the left as 'design fault' but it was going now where so left it. I also pointed out that neither by previous Jeep GC, X5 or Touareg did anyhting like this.

I am going back Monday with these posts and the others to take a mechanic out myself and show him his job. For info, it was Guy Salmon in Leeds who have also been commented on this site for good service so it goes to show it is just who you deal with on the day!

Post #20510 Sat Mar 25 2006 8:34am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Let us know their reaction. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #20511 Sat Mar 25 2006 8:55am
Mudchucker

Well having visited the dealer and taken the mechanic out I am still no better off. Before we had even got in the car he was saying he knew what it would be and that it was following the camber. It seemed he had already made his mind up! He then went on to tell me that all Landrovers have camber drift and always have had though they were better now than previous models. Rather curiously though, 5 minutes later he was telling me that his Mk1 Disco drove absolutley straight? He then drove us to their 'test road' where he drove down the middle of the road at about 5 mph and said that it did not pull therefore it must be camber drift. This was hardly indicative as I had already said to them it is mainly at 70MPH on the motorway. I then made him drive up the M621 where it promptly drifted left on a stretch where the camber went to the right. When I pointed this out he said 'It may look like that but it is actually cambered left!' At this point I decided I was wasting my time and we went back to the dealer. The service manager seemed quite helpful and said though not a LR recognized problem he would contact LR and see what they said.

I will be ringing him Monday. Sad

Post #22066 Sun Apr 02 2006 8:37am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Shocked Shocked They want shooting.

Take it to another dealer - or call LR assist & make it their problem! 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #22237 Mon Apr 03 2006 11:17am
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Quote:
The service manager seemed quite helpful and said though not a LR recognized problem he would contact LR and see what they said.

I think your service manager is either ill informed or not telling you the whole truth. Wink Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #22365 Mon Apr 03 2006 11:18pm
PaulB

England 

The mechanic should be fired for being such a condescending little pr1ck Mad
As I've said, and others will testify, the RRS should and does track perfectly straight if there isn't a problem.
LR should be really concerned that this standard of customer service and product misinformation appears to be rife in their dealer network.
I drove down to Farnborough and back yesterday from Coventry and at no point did it drift to either side, even with both hands off the wheel (I checked specifically with regard to this thread, I don't make a habit of driving on the motorway without holding the wheel Wink ).

Incidentally, I averaged 30.8mpg there and back at a steady 75mph Very Happy

Paul

Post #22409 Tue Apr 04 2006 12:47pm
Mudchucker

Oh it just gets better. Just phoned the service manager to see if he has had an anwser from Land Rover and he says that they came in yesterday and he went through the problem with them and gave them a copy of the 'mototway drift' thread (I had copied it and sent it to him.) He went on to say that he is happy to perform a 4 wheel alignment as soon as LR confirm they will pay him for it. He says they are not keen on doing this after the vehicle has done more than a few hundred miles!!

There was then some more chat about all vehicles doing this to some extent it is just that some Drivers notice it more than others. I am not sure whether this is a compliment or not - is he saying I am more sesitive to the car than others and that people who say thiers drive staright are oblivious to the car alternatively or that I am a picky B*****D! I know what I think!

Do I start again and go to another dealer or perservere?

Post #22420 Tue Apr 04 2006 1:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>