Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Vibration in steering wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

yogibear

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black
Vibration in steering wheel

Need your help please
since December last year my car (2.7, 57 plate on 19" wheels) has developed a vibration in the steering wheel at around 1750-2000 rpm as in previous posts.
Has been in the dealer 3 times now and finally with a LR tech guy. After i collected the car the service manager was busy and said he would be in touch to let me know the outcome.
Today i received this letter:

As you are aware the Regional Technical Support Manager came from land Rover on Friday the 14th to test your Range Rover Sport, registration number *****.

The road test was to identify the cause of the reported humming noise and vibration felt through the steering when travelling under load at 1,700 rpm. Following the road test it was concluded that the above is characteristic of this model and is purely engine resonance felt through the chassis and subsequently the body of the car.
There is nothing that can be done to remove this, however it is of no detriment to the cars safety or performance.
Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Do you think this is a fob off and if not any ideas on a solution would be helpful as I was wondering if the mass absorber kit would make a difference as it seems to be more for "knocking" rather than vibration

Any help would save my sanity and kerb my anger Big Cry Banging Head

Post #266573 Wed May 19 2010 4:13pm
Mandanz

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I don't have the answer to your question although I do have the same problem as you on my 2008, 57 plate HSE.
It's going back to the dealers for the 3rd time next week and I've only owned it since April. I'm really sick of them to be honest as they told me that they had test driven it extensively and they didn't feel any vibrating. I take it on the M4 and it clearly vibrates starting from 55mph to 75mph and I'm really Censored !
I'm supposed to be driving to Germany in August but don't think I could stand driving all that way on motorways with the bloody vibrations Big Cry

Post #268152 Tue Jun 08 2010 7:57pm
yogibear

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

i know how you feel Banging Head

have spoke to my local non dealer garage and it goes into him next week,
i have a suspicion that as i am paying for it they will find and fix the problem.
i will let you know the outcome
just remember sh*t service does no mean a sh*t car

Post #268162 Tue Jun 08 2010 10:00pm
Markos

Slovenia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Mandanz I also had a problem like that on my car(the steering wheel was shaking like crazy at speeds around 60-75 mph - the wheels were balanced ok) and at the end the problem was in tires. Sometimes the tires can get displaced in the rim. What they have to do is take the wheels off deflate the tire and turn the tire 180 degrees inside of the rim. Than they have to inflate the tire to 5 bars (normal is 2,5 bars) and than deflate it again and inflate it to the normal tire pressure. I had that problem 1 month ago and since that I already did 1500km and the RRS drives perfectly. Good luck 2008 RRS TDV8 HSE, Java black, Alpaca,.....

Post #268573 Mon Jun 14 2010 4:16pm
mrloudly

"Following the road test it was concluded that the above is characteristic of this model "

Errr maybe this should read...

Following the road test it was concluded that the above is characteristic of this model but not when they're new...

Post #268652 Tue Jun 15 2010 1:52pm
Garrie2283

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Rimini Red

Hi Yogibear, I have a 2006 Range Rover Sport and when I first purchased it (almost new) I also noticed what I would call a resonance through the steering wheel at the same revs whilst under slight load. Although it initially annoyed me I felt it may improve with age as mountings soften. By the end of the warranty period (3 years in Australia) I decided to have a chat with my Dealer to see if anything constructive could be done. . They asked me to bring it in which I did and left it for one week. They certainly tried very hard as when I picked the car up the repair order listed the work that had been done and numerous suspension, steering and other rubber bushes had been changed. Unfortunately, this did not cure it completely so I have lived with it and now it has done 90,000km and either I have become accustomed to it or it has improved, whichever it is I am quite happy to live with this considering how brilliant this car has been.

One of the problems we have is that the RRS is so smooth and quiet that any small irregularity becomes noticable.

I know this doesn't resolve your problem but Ihope it helps, my feeling is that your Land Rover engineer is correct - it appears that it is characteristic.
Hope you are having a good summer over there.
regards

H

Post #268709 Wed Jun 16 2010 12:26pm
rrspoland

Poland 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red

does it happen while driving or in parking? if while driving have you guys checked your wheels (alloys to be more precise)? maybe the wheels are bend. I had this problem, but once I fixed the wheels it is all gone now. My name: Patryk
RRS 4.2 s/c Rimini Red

Post #268722 Wed Jun 16 2010 2:42pm
redrover

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I have exactly the same issue and response from Landrover (characteristic of the lock up clutches in the torque converter). It is definitely a resonance and seems to be only the TDV6. Mine seems to be getting a little worse and I managed to get the service guy to notice it just before it ran out of warranty in case it becomes a fault.
Just be wary of a similar vibration that I had which occurs on deceleration as well, which in my case turned out to be the front diff failing! All replaced under warranty, however the original resonance remained. TDV6, MYO7 Java with Ivory leather, 19 inch wheels

Post #269015 Sat Jun 19 2010 12:38pm
gseum

Germany 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Does anoyone know, if these vibrations are also "characteric" for the new 3.0 TDV6?

Regards
gseum

Post #269236 Tue Jun 22 2010 9:52pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

"characteristic of this model"

The best get out of jail card EVER by Land Rover and all in all............

probably created by a Spotty working in LR for work exerience some 5 years ago..............God love em Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #269502 Fri Jun 25 2010 12:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1