RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Fuel Warning Light?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

bradtarga34

Fuel Warning Light?

Can you just clarify when your warning light comes on? In the manual it says it should come on when about 3 gallons left, but mine only give me about a 25 mile warning, which is about a gallon I guess... Had my first fill costing over a hunderd squids yesterday, a bit of a shock to the system, but I'm getting about 350 miles out of the tank so not too bad overall I suppose.

Post #266104 Fri May 14 2010 1:10pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

What age and model RRS? IIRC my old 55 plate used to always put the light on when 'range' hit 50 miles, after something was done and poss SW updated the car then seemed to take it off the level sensor and it wasn't always then at 50 miles range....

TBH i haven't noticed wha the current (MY09) one does Confused

Post #266105 Fri May 14 2010 1:30pm
bradtarga34

It's a MY10 RRS TDV8

Post #266109 Fri May 14 2010 1:40pm
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

Mine comes on at about 60 miles normally which suggests at least 2 gallons left. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #266112 Fri May 14 2010 2:05pm
Lookers Park Royal

Brad,

In my opinion the range from 'fuel warning' can vary from as little as 25 miles up to 75 miles. The range calculator calculates the range available besed on fuel left and the way it has been driven. Unless you were driving very carefully I wouldn't be too concerned by this.

Next tim eyou fill up, drive a bit harder for 10 miles or so before fueling, check the range as you pull away from the fuel station, drive as carefully as you can and you will see the range increase as opposed to decrease. I get this phenominan when I am not working as the London commute drags the range down but then my local driving pushes the range back up so that in the end I am gaining range with each mile!

I think there are some threads on what the highest range is. I managed about 500 in a TDV8 once!

Obviously if you are in any doubt then we'd happily have a look at it.

James Thumbs Up

Post #266114 Fri May 14 2010 2:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bradtarga34

Thanks James, I'll try that. I had been crawling in traffic, so that might have had something to do with it, but the first fill up I did I was taking it quite easy as was still in running in mode and was also about the same range. I'll have a look to see how fuel I actuallu put in as that will show me how much was left. Might see you Monday for a quick brew as getting side steps fitted.

Post #266116 Fri May 14 2010 2:30pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

I remember on my D3 the light would come on when my range showed about 50 miles, but within 5-10 miles this would have dropped to zero Shocked Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #266129 Fri May 14 2010 7:21pm
RichardM

Well mine came on at exactly 29 miles tonight. It think it was much lower than usual as the car had been in the dealer all week. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys

Post #266131 Fri May 14 2010 8:25pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

mine comes on at about 26/27 miles left, two weeks ago i filled it up from about the same range , but it "only " cost 93 pounds at tesco, didnt think that was too bad,! MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #266140 Sat May 15 2010 1:15am
bradtarga34

I have been using the 'Super' diesel when filling up, a bit of a carry over when I used to fill my M5 with 'Super' unleaded. I think I will just try the normal diesel next time as I dint know if there is a noticeable difference with the 2 different types of diesel. Anyone had much experience using the 'super' stuff, they claim cleaner engines and better mileage but they would, wouldn't they. The difference with the unleaded with my M5 was quite noticeable. At least the mileage remaining seems to be in keeping with everyone else, but different from what it says in the manual, thanks chaps!

Post #266151 Sat May 15 2010 10:35am
Josh

United Kingdom 

I ran my TDV8 on BP Ultimate Diesel for 3 years until I sold it 2 weeks ago.

There were odd occasions when I couldn't get that fuel and had to use normal diesel mixed with Ultimate. I never used the cheap supermarket fuel though.

But It always seemed to run alot smoother when I next filled up with Ultimate.

It's supposed to help clean the carbon deposits off. Which to my mind can only be a good thing for your engine Thumbs Up TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #266152 Sat May 15 2010 10:45am
RichardM

In the 335d I had I experimented a lot between premium and standard diesel and I could never notice a difference. The RRS has only ever had standard diesel normally from a supermarket and it runs brilliantly.

I remember 5th Gear running a comparison test and they concluded it does make a difference. Just did a search and found this:

Fifth Gear (1/26/09) tested 2 premium diesels (Shell V-power and BP Ultimate) versus regular diesel on a dyno. This test was done in Britain so obviously results may vary in other countries. The car was a Citroen wagon.

Results:

Regular diesel - 155hp
Shell V-power - 161hp
BP Ultimate - 161hp

No torque values were given.
 WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

Post #266156 Sat May 15 2010 1:07pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Interesting, though what I would like to see is some scientific analysis of supermarket petrol and "big name" petrol. There's a lot of opinion about it on the Internet, like people saying the supermarket fuel is stuff that isn't good enough for the big name petrol stations or it's full of sediment, but frankly I think most of this is at best an urban myth, at worst uneducated BS - I've yet to see anything that links to any credible research on the matter better than the "I filled up at a supermarket and a week later I crashed into a tree" kind of stuff.

Has anyone seen any scientific comparison between the likes of Shell/BP/Esso regular fuel and the Tesco/Asda/Morrisons equivalent or does anyone know for a fact (i.e. not just cos your mate says) what differences there are, if any? Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #266157 Sat May 15 2010 1:34pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

NightFox wrote:
Interesting, though what I would like to see is some scientific analysis of supermarket petrol and "big name" petrol. There's a lot of opinion about it on the Internet, like people saying the supermarket fuel is stuff that isn't good enough for the big name petrol stations or it's full of sediment, but frankly I think most of this is at best an urban myth, at worst uneducated BS - I've yet to see anything that links to any credible research on the matter better than the "I filled up at a supermarket and a week later I crashed into a tree" kind of stuff.

Has anyone seen any scientific comparison between the likes of Shell/BP/Esso regular fuel and the Tesco/Asda/Morrisons equivalent or does anyone know for a fact (i.e. not just cos your mate says) what differences there are, if any?

NigntFox, there is no difference, they all buy from the same wholesale markets, i have even seen an esso tanker filling the tanks at Asda Shocked

Post #266164 Sat May 15 2010 2:23pm
bradtarga34

Thanks Richard for finding that, at least there is a difference, so might just stick with it, I'd hate to think I was missing out on some additional horse power, let alone the torque increase.

I seem to recall a year or 2 ago where I think tesco had a dodgy batch of petrol which led to hundreds if not thousands of cars being incapacitated due to in knackering some sensor up, that's enough for me to steer clear of it...

Post #266165 Sat May 15 2010 2:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>