RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > TDV6 vs 4.4V8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Supertrotter

United Kingdom 
TDV6 vs 4.4V8

Does anyone on the site actually have anything other than TDV6 or S/C?

Interesting comment i read in 4x4 Magazine sometime ago (Same edition as DMS TDV6) saying that they thought the reason why TDV6's did not come with 233bhp as standard is taht no-one would buy 4.4V8.

Anyone agree? Anyone have one? I think the V8(s) sound amazing, much better than the diesel altho that too sounds amazing for an oil burner. Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #17538 Wed Mar 15 2006 9:36am
keith

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Hi Supertrotter

I have a 4.4HSE and am very pleased with it.

When I was deciding what to get I was only able to test a 4.4 or a diesel Disco3. There is no comparison as far as I am concerned. The diesel is Ok around town but on the open road felt really underpowered.

Lots of TDV6 RRS owners have them chipped to try and improve things but I think any claims that it brings it up to the performance of the 4.4 must be taken with a pinch of salt.

With the 4.4 you have 299HP and this give me virtually the same 0-60 time as my old BMW523i which I traded for the RRS.

Overall I'm getting 14.5mpg but on along trip that goes up to 20mpg. Not great but OK for me as I only do about 9-10K miles a year.

I added on the Dynamic Pack and a couple of other extras which took the price up to just over 54K - only 3K less than a S/C.

I decided that the S/C was more than I needed and that the fuel consumption would be unacceptable. The S/C will loose more money than the 4.4 over 3 years and you don't get an intrusive whining noise all the time.

I got my car in October and have so far done just over 5K miles. Not one single fault or problem in all that time.

My advice would be to take a long drive in both the TDV6 and the 4.4. Financially, the TDV6 undoubtable makes most sense, but if you like driving and can afford the extra £'s then the 4.4 is well worth considering. The 4.4 is the least popular model and I was concerned that it would loose value more quickly that the S/C but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Keith 4.4HSE Buckingham Blue
Alpaca Premium Leather, Rhodium
Dynamic Pack, PTI

Post #17545 Wed Mar 15 2006 10:08am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Fair play and a good argumement well made.

I'm not knocking the 4.4V8, in fact quite the opposite as I said the sound is incredible.

It's just that I couldn't live with 14mpg when I'm currently getting 25.

I was just curious that (As you said it's the least popular) how many are out and about. Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #17549 Wed Mar 15 2006 10:16am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I've yet to drive an SC Crying or Very sad but the 4.4 I drove on my LRE day was very impressive. Very quiet, smooth and the pickup was pretty good (noticeably better than my TDV6). 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #17550 Wed Mar 15 2006 10:20am
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

I had a SC for 3 days last week and I must say it is an awesome machine but you also need a huge bank balance and 'mid air' refuelling to keep the car topped up with petrol.

The standard V8 probably does make sense to the petrol heads amongst us but the torque of the TDV6 is awesome so I guess I'd stick to that until my bank balance gets healthier Wink Chips with everything

Post #17569 Wed Mar 15 2006 11:09am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

TC - I sent you a PM the other day about purchasing a Turbo Chip for my TDv6, did you get it? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #17577 Wed Mar 15 2006 11:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Tim

I'll check now Wink Chips with everything

Post #17581 Wed Mar 15 2006 11:30am
MDP

United Kingdom 

keith wrote:
Hi Supertrotter

I have a 4.4HSE and am very pleased with it.

Overall I'm getting 14.5mpg but on along trip that goes up to 20mpg. Not great but OK for me as I only do about 9-10K miles a year.

I added on the Dynamic Pack and a couple of other extras which took the price up to just over 54K - only 3K less than a S/C.

I decided that the S/C was more than I needed and that the fuel consumption would be unacceptable. The S/C will loose more money than the 4.4 over 3 years and you don't get an intrusive whining noise all the time.

I got my car in October and have so far done just over 5K miles.
Keith

I have just posted elsewhere - I have had my S/C since sept 05 and covered 5000 miles of which 90% around town - cold starts & short 2 or 3 mile distances in all . My trip shows exactly 13mpg so not much less at all & on the odd longer trip achieves approx 16 - 18mpg.

The V8's do sound good - but the S/C is something else Very Happy

God knows what they'll be worth when I come to trade in at some point? But i'm sure it will be a good second hand buy for someone ( at my expense probably ) Hey Ho Rolling Eyes 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #17636 Wed Mar 15 2006 1:05pm
Tailpipe

United Kingdom 

I'm currently evaluating Range Rover Sport options and have to say that keith's post above is brilliant in its assessment of the 4.4 HSE.

As far as I'm concerned, the V6 TDI is a non-starter. Fine around town, but well under-powered elsewhere. Try one on a long uphill piece of dual carriageway and you'll immediately see where I'm coming from. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the diesel V6 somewhat defeats the object of having a more sporty Range Rover. That said, I realise that for many people this choice of engine boils down to straight economics. (Maybe we'd all drive S/Cs if we could afford them and the fuel bills.) Even if it is under-powered, the V6 is still a great vehicle.

I quite like the S/C and am tempted by it, but fuel consumption is a real issue. Not merely because it costs a fortune and you need to stop frequently on longer trips, but because 4x4 owners are really starting to feel the heat from unrepresentative minority groups who seem to dictate transport policy. Therefore, I feel the need to be slightly more responsible, if I can be, in my choice of car. (Turbochip - your comment about mid-air refuelling for RRSs is hilarious. It would make a great April Fool spoof for LR.)

For this reason, I applaud the Lexus 400h. I'd never buy one, because it is neither fish nor foul, i.e. it's not a proper SUV nor an ideal estate car. But it really is strong riposte to people who think they have the right to tell me what car I should drive. Well done, Toyota.

But going back to the question at hand, the 4.4 litre V8 is a good compromise in my book. Still powerful enough to deserve the moniker: Range Rover Sport, but a worthwhile improvement in fuel consumption. While depreciation is an issue, a Range Rover remains one of those cars that is so solidly built, you can run them until they fall apart.

I think the issues raised by this post will be well and truly resolved by the arrival of the V8 TDI later this year. The signs are that it will deliver fuel economy that's very close to the V6, i.e. 21 mpg around town; 30-35 mpg in the country; and 25-27 mpg on the combined cycle. If the promise is fulfilled, then these babies will sell like hot cakes.

I guess the final point to make is that the next iteration of LR models, has just got to be a substantially lighter.

Post #17661 Wed Mar 15 2006 2:40pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Is an average of 14.5mpg REALLY an improvement on S/C? Question Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad

Post #17662 Wed Mar 15 2006 2:50pm
PaulB

England 

I may be way off the mark here, but I would expect the 4.4 V8 to suffer the most when it comes to depreciation, with the TDV6 suffering the least.
For the second hand buyer concerned about economy/cost, the TDV6 is the most compelling choice and for those wanting performance, there will be no substitute for the S/C. IMO, the 4.4 V8 is neither "fish nor foul" to use the above analogy, with no compelling benefit either way.

While the 4.4 V8 does indeed boast a higher BHP figure, it can't compare with the TDV6 for torque, especially one that's been chipped.

I friend of mine has recently purchased a 4.4 V8 so I intend to run some performance comparisons as soon as I get the chance. I'm not expecting the be embarrassed Wink

Paul

Post #17687 Wed Mar 15 2006 3:27pm
Peter

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Java Black

The day I fell in love with the RRS was at Woburn Green Stratstone near High Wycombe ( a well known hilly area).

We turned left out of the dealer straight up a long steep hill to the A40.

The car (TDV6 HSE) was cold and climbed that hill like it wasn't even there.

It did so well (with the salesman driving) that I didn't even notice the hill until I did the same trip when I left the dealer in my old Volvo V70 (2.4 Classic) - she certainly knew it was there!

I was so impressed I went back the next weekend and ordered one! It's finally gone! Replaced with BMW 730SE in Sophisto grey Xirallic finish with Oyster (Ivory) and black interior. DAB, Climate glass, Ceramic iDrive and gear selector, power boot and iPhone Bluetooth pack - luvvin' it!

I miss my old RRS "bucket" rattling around but it just had to go!

Post #17944 Wed Mar 15 2006 9:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There's nowt wrong with the torque of the TDv6 - it's more than enough for the wagon................... it's just the 11.6 secs 0-60 that is the let down, still it's better than my TD6 RR that could manage 13.4secs 0-60 (and that was a lighter car with a big displacement engine!). I think that is the reason quite a few owners have gone down the TurboChips/DMS/JE route in search of a bit more acceleration. If you ask them, most are happy with the performance apart from the 0-60 crawl.
I am quite happy with the performance of my TDv6 but have decided to give it a bit more fizz and am going the TurboChips route shortly. I'll have to find a baseball cap to wear back to front (a Burberry of course) to replace the flat cap and string backs once it's been done! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #17948 Wed Mar 15 2006 10:13pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Tailpipe,
How many big hills have you got in London then? One in Woolwich perhaps?

There's a great deal of grunt in the TDV6 and personally having come from a sporty car I find it effortless to drive and very relaxing. Not to forget a great deal faster (unchipped) in acceleration than most small cars on the road and with the dynamic handling pack its good for throwing around (Yes I've tried it now boys Exclamation ).
The vast majority of LR/RR's have been traditionally diesel powered leaving those that can afford to play with petrol to the comfortably well off!
Tune it and take a couple of secs of the 0 - 60. Financially it will be vitually bombproof and affordable to run in any situation. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #17953 Wed Mar 15 2006 10:33pm
Piero

Hello everyone, I know I don't own a RRS but working for LR I have driven many examples of all of their products.

I just have to say that I really don't understand all this talk about performance, I drive a TDV6 Disco and this is plenty fast enough for average road use, 100mph is easily attainable and in gear acceleration is great. Unless you are doing track days or traffic light grand prix I can't see any need for more performance than the TDV6 currently offers.

Before you call me boring - I am under 30, into my sportscars and will be upgrading to a RRS soon!! Very Happy Discovery3 TDV6 SE
Buckingham Blue/Alpaca Leather
19 Inch Alloys
Adaptive Xenons
Pricacy Glass

Post #18004 Thu Mar 16 2006 12:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>