RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > RTFM?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

NightFox

United Kingdom 
RTFM?

I know there's a male-thing about never reading the instructions whenever we get a new toy, but it always intrigues me how when people get a problem or have a question it doesn't seem to occur to them to read the manual - why is that? They're more than happy to post to forums like this, sometimes even registering to do so, and then wait hours hoping someone will answer but so often the questions like "how does this work", "how do I do this" and "why does this happen" are really easy to find out. Do people just forget they have a manual?

I must admit to loving reading manuals and instructions for new toys and finding out everything about them, I'm always a bit gobsmacked when I talk to other people who own the same things and they say "wow, never know it could do that!" Don't read the manual and you end up not getting the most out of the toys you've paid a lot of money for!

So am I the only one who reads manuals, or are there any other red-blooded males out there who'll also admit to it? Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #263296 Sat Apr 17 2010 12:41pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

i am with you on this one, i kind of blame the BMW types , who order one without even having sat in it (fact, there are statistics to prove this Wink ), let alone test drive it!!!. if you do that then you are not even going to read a manual!!!

saying that, there are some areas where asking a question in the forum can give you more than just a straight answer, i am just glad there are some people on here that are patient enough to answer "that does the big leather round thing in front of the driver do?" Wink

cheers
dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #263308 Sat Apr 17 2010 4:24pm
oilman151

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

Always read the manual - pretty anal but I get the most out of my toys.
Very Happy Very Happy Range Rover Evoque 5 door on order.
2006Java/Alpaca/4.4HSE/PTIS/Tracker/pp/Tasmods/Black side repeaters/Custom exhaust (gone but not forgotten!)
Land Rover Defender 110 CSW 200 TDi blue (Offroad prep'ed).
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
Aston Martin DB9 Tungsten Silver
Another Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (Christinemobile)
1990 Mini Cooper SE - classic! (now sold)
New addition - 1972 Triumph Stag Pimento Red

Post #263316 Sat Apr 17 2010 5:57pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

codfather wrote:
i am with you on this one, i kind of blame the BMW types , who order one without even having sat in it (fact, there are statistics to prove this Wink ), let alone test drive it!!!.

cheers
dave

OI!! Ok I put down the deposit on mine over the phone without having seen it other than 3 pics but it was subject to viewing and test drive. I read the manual to a point to find out what things do etc that Im likely to need but half the fun's FINDING something, trying to figure it out, THEN giving up RTFM!!! Rolling with laughter Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #263399 Sun Apr 18 2010 8:47pm
codfather

4wheeldriver wrote:
codfather wrote:
i am with you on this one, i kind of blame the BMW types , who order one without even having sat in it (fact, there are statistics to prove this Wink ), let alone test drive it!!!.

cheers
dave

OI!! Ok I put down the deposit on mine over the phone without having seen it other than 3 pics but it was subject to viewing and test drive.

well done you for getting a test drive!! i have twice tried to buy a new beemer, and both times the dealer did not have a test mule or a customer car that i could have a poke about in! i was told that if i wanted one i would have to put down a deposit and wait 6 months for it to come. this seems the way the german prestige market works!! just before i bought the RRS i fancied a look at a focus RS, i was intrigued as to how good it would be compared to the likes of imprezas or mitsubishi evos, the dealer gave me the same spiel that i would have to buy one and find out.......funny how most of the ones built are now in autotrader and pistonheads!! i cannot understand why anyone would buy a car without trying one!! i suppose the statistics of bmw selling without a test drive probably came about by reps in mondeos changing to a 3 series presuming it would be a better car, or help them get the keks off the office junior by the water cooler!! MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Post #263421 Sun Apr 18 2010 11:10pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I couldn't even get 2 LR dealerships to email pics of used stock or return calls so I was damned sure I wasn't going drive a 400 mile round trip to find out the cars were sold or not even in stock yet! Spencer at Lookers was doing his best but unfortunately a family crisis arose and I needed to find a car sooner rather than later!

Called Williams in Liverpool at 1pm lunchtime. Car was in prep. Salesman drove to the service department, took pics and had them emailed up to me by 3pm! Call back, bit of haggling later and deal was struck (subject to viewing and driving) Train down, picked up at the station in a 10 plate 7 series LWB, inspected and drove the X5 and pulled out of there at 5pm heading for home!

From first call to heading home took 3 days! Car serviced, new tyres all round, new discs and pads, valeted and taxed for a year! My son was even allowed to raid the waiting area fridge for cans of juice for the drive home!

Sorted! Thumbs Up Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #263423 Sun Apr 18 2010 11:29pm
purple people eater

United Kingdom 

whats a manual? purple people eater

There are no good days, just some days that are not as bad as others!

Gone RR 4.0 P38 Autobiography MY99 Red ( Evil or Very Mad money pit)
Gone Big Cry RRS MY06 2.7TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Gone RRS MY10 3.0TDV6 HSE Bali Blue with lots of bits (never grew to love it)
Here Now - 3.6 TDV8 FFRR OVERFINCH Stornoway Grey - loving it x
My work car Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDci Zetec auto Estate in Silver

Post #263550 Tue Apr 20 2010 12:28am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I ordered my first RRS without even sitting in it! Embarassed It did mean however that I got it on the launch day. Thumbs Up Ner Ner 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #263564 Tue Apr 20 2010 7:40am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Only read the manual when I need too - and that's usually about 6 months after picking the car up Laughing

Post #263567 Tue Apr 20 2010 7:48am
Not A Red RRS.

Australia 

Salesman (Charlie) explained most thing upon delivery, for Me. Read the manual to get the finer points out of the audio but I normally only read as far as getting it going or "quick start guide".

And, why only that much? I am a lazy sod. --------------------------------------------------------
I love Boobies, Tits, Blackbirds & Sparrows.

09 MY10 Santorini Black TDV6 Smile
05 Disco3 S (gone) (Red Disco)
08 Disco3 HSE (gone) (White Disco)
07 RRS Umbrella.(one of only 3 in the Country)
09 Volkswagen Golf Tdi(SWMBO's)
04 Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO20SHOMSAH)

Post #263575 Tue Apr 20 2010 8:05am
codfather

Very Annoyed wrote:
I ordered my first RRS without even sitting in it! Embarassed It did mean however that I got it on the launch day. Thumbs Up Ner Ner

did you have a contingency plan for if it was going to totally rubbish? or did you have enough faith in the brand that you knew all would be ok?
i keep my cars for three years minimum, so bailing out at a few months is not an option (unless someone offered serious money over list!!!)

cheers
dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Post #263607 Tue Apr 20 2010 12:02pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

purple people eater wrote:
whats a manual?

It's a type of transmission for poor people who have to change gear for themselves Wink Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE

Post #263609 Tue Apr 20 2010 12:04pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i've got a manual today, took 4 attempts to start it as i forgot i had to put the clutch down Embarassed

I was just about to go back into the dealers when i saw the dashboard message Rolling Eyes

Post #263617 Tue Apr 20 2010 12:52pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

Personally I never read the manual.....would rather post here or ask stealer.

Just find it easier.

I suppose I am a BMW type Laughing

Post #263633 Tue Apr 20 2010 2:09pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Jonny Fresh wrote:
Personally I never read the manual.....would rather post here or ask stealer.

Just find it easier.

I suppose I am a BMW type Laughing

Don't you worry that there might be a whole host of features that you might be missing out on? Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+

Post #263635 Tue Apr 20 2010 2:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>