mole

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Our Black HSE + Dynamic Pack in the snow

Old enough to know better,
Young enough not to care!!!

Post #18266 Thu Mar 16 2006 8:58pm
DAVIS

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Giverney Green

WOW, I thought we got a lot of snow! I assume your HSE was up to the challenge? BTW, I have seen several threads on personal license plates however I don't quite understand how your regular issued plates work. In the US we have a series of numeric and alpha sequences. This is necessary because there are so many cars on the road. I noticed that you simply have 55, you don't look that old so I'm assuming it's not a custom ordered plate Laughing Without going to too much trouble, is it easily explained?

Post #18270 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy

United Kingdom 

DAVIS wrote:
WOW, I thought we got a lot of snow! I assume your HSE was up to the challenge? BTW, I have seen several threads on personal license plates however I don't quite understand how your regular issued plates work. In the US we have a series of numeric and alpha sequences. This is necessary because there are so many cars on the road. I noticed that you simply have 55, you don't look that old so I'm assuming it's not a custom ordered plate Laughing Without going to too much trouble, is it easily explained?

Davis, he's got an ordinary number plate (or maybe a personalised number plate similar to an ordinary one). The 55 shows the car was registered between September 1st 2005 to February 28th 2006. He has other letters on his plate which he's blanked out to stop people on the web pretending to be him! Hope this makes sense Wink

Post #18271 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:28pm
chex

edit = andy beat me to it

Post #18272 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:30pm
Andy

United Kingdom 

chex wrote:
edit = andy beat me to it

Razz

Post #18273 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:33pm
DAVIS

Andy,

Thanks for the explanation, I should have considered that the plate was partially hidden. That said, how does 55 equate to that calendar period? Thanks in advance for answering, sometimes us folks out West are a liitle slow Wink

Post #18274 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Davis our registrations take several forms depending on the age of the car:
Mole has blanked out part of his for security reasons.

Currently the system is - Two Letters, Two Numbers, Three Letters and they mean this:

The first 2 numbers are a code for the licensing office where the car was first registered the 2 numbers designate the year of first registration and the period, so Moles car was first registered between September 05 and March 06 being a 55 plate. The last 3 letters are random and mean nothing.

To throw in abit of confusion you can purchase plates (you guys call them vanity plates we call them cherished numbers!) from the national licensing authority - I have an 05 plate RRS that shows a 1996 reg which was a different system - my RRS is on the plate P XX MUD - P is the year designator the numbers and letters following are random but the UD indicates the old licensing area office. My 1996 registered Defender has the plate PXX-1 (!!) MUD which actually is the correct year for the car. All cars registered in Scotland have the 1st letter in the current pattern as an 'S' and the 2nd letter represents the licensing office where it was first registered. My Frelander was first registered as SL 51 ENP - S=Scotland, L= Edinburgh tax office and 51= September to December 31st - ENP means nothing.
NOW to add further confusion, you cannot make a car seem younger than it is by sticking on a newer plate and also you are not supposed to make words from the combination of letters and numbers. Spacing of the letters and numbers is also regulated for this! Also the front plate must be white with black letters/numbers and the rear yeallow with black numbers/ letters.
If you have enough money you can buy plates that make up words from the licensing office as they auction the good ones off for £1000's -I think the most paid was £250,000 for K1 NGS. I purchased mine for £250 each

Confused enough?
Coz there are other older plates that don't follow any system - the most valuable plate is A1.................. Certain car makers own blocks of numbers, eg Porsche UK own a series of plates begining POR - Aston Martin use AML plates, they are all legal plates too, and if you have a nice one you are permitted to sell it on as well, but them you have to buy another one!

I can also transfer my @cherished@ plate from car to car as I change them. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu Mar 16 2006 9:49pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #18275 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:37pm
Andy

United Kingdom 

DAVIS wrote:
Andy,

Thanks for the explanation, I should have considered that the plate was partially hidden. That said, how does 55 equate to that calendar period? Thanks in advance for answering, sometimes us folks out West are a liitle slow Wink

No worries Very Happy

March-September is the last number of the year with a '0', eg early 2005= 05
September-February is the year with a 5 (for half way I think), eg late 2005= 55

Now I know that wont make sense Wink

Post #18276 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:40pm
Tim in Scotland

Andy you got in there while I was typing - sorry for the duplication Davis 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #18277 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:47pm
DAVIS

Tim & Andy

I say this with absolute respect, that's the most confusing system I have ever heard of Exclamation That fact the you all understand this and are quite capable of explaining it has made your stock go up in my eyes...

Thanks

Post #18278 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:47pm
Andy

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Andy you got in there while I was typing - sorry for the duplication Davis

Looks like I beat a couple of people to it Cool

Good explanation though!

Post #18279 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:48pm
mole

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Thanks for explaining that one guys Laughing Laughing Laughing

DAVIS - That was NOT in the UK!!! But in "The Alps" in Southern France, we don't get that much snow here Laughing It did pretty well in those conditions, even with the 20" with pretty much summer orientated tyres on we had no major issues. The police let us straight past without putting chains on whilst there were 2WD cars wheel spinning all the way up the them. We even had to leave at 6am one morning and the roads had about a foot of snow on them, snow mode and a careful right foot seemed to get us down and back up the mountain roads safely enough! Old enough to know better,
Young enough not to care!!!

Post #18280 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:49pm
Andy

United Kingdom 

DAVIS wrote:
Tim & Andy

I say this with absolute respect, that's the most confusing system I have ever heard of Exclamation That fact the you all understand this and are quite capable of explaining it has made your stock go up in my eyes...

Thanks

Yeah, it is confusing at first! But you get to understand the numbers when you see them everyday Wink

Fancy explaining yours? I only know about UK number plates Laughing

Post #18281 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:50pm
Andy

United Kingdom 

mole wrote:
Thanks for explaining that one guys Laughing Laughing Laughing

DAVIS - That was NOT in the UK!!! But in "The Alps" in Southern France, we don't get that much snow here Laughing It did pretty well in those conditions, even with the 20" with pretty much summer orientated tyres on we had no major issues. The police let us straight past without putting chains on whilst there were 2WD cars wheel spinning all the way up the them. We even had to leave at 6am one morning and the roads had about a foot of snow on them, snow mode and a careful right foot seemed to get us down and back up the mountain roads safely enough!

We got that much snow here today! Well, nearly, as in, it snowed lightly for about 5 mins then stopped Laughing

Post #18282 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:51pm
Tim in Scotland

Mole - next time you are going DOWNHILL in the RRS in the snow as well as the TR Snow setting, slip the gear selector to neutral and click the Low Ratio button to engage Low box, back into Drive and command shift to 1st and take your foot off the gas (or just brush it gently) and let the car drive away very slowly - engine braking will keep you moving very slowly down in total control and the car will not carry away. On reaching the flat, select neutral and click the Low/High button again, engage High box and drive away normally! HDC is also a help and you can vary the speed of the car by using the +/- key of the cruise control to go faster or slower with HDC operating.

Andy, bet you didn't get this much snow! This was in Scotland last Sunday, 2feet fell in 8 hours here only 34 metres above sea near to Stirling
 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #18284 Thu Mar 16 2006 9:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>