RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > MP3/CD player
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Warren G

MP3/CD player

Burnt a few Black Eyed Pea tracks onto disk today for first time and loaded it into the multi disk player and it told me 'Disk error, unable to play'. Big Cry Probably something daft i done wrong, any idea's????????

Post #260386 Sun Mar 21 2010 10:19pm
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

what format did you burn them into???? mp3 or audio? Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #260405 Mon Mar 22 2010 9:53am
rrspoland

Poland 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red

did you burn it on cd or dvd disc? I don't know how it works with MY2010, but in mine the cd changer does not read burned dvds. I have no problems with mp3 burned on cd-r type discs My name: Patryk
RRS 4.2 s/c Rimini Red

Post #260406 Mon Mar 22 2010 10:11am
Warren G

Got the disk here with me, its.....

CD-R 52x 700MB

Post #260411 Mon Mar 22 2010 10:38am
Warren G

"what format did you burn them into???? mp3 or audio?"

No idea lol, sorry, i'm a bit daft at this sort of stuff.

Just looked on my PC and they are MP3 files?????

Post #260413 Mon Mar 22 2010 10:41am
NightFox

United Kingdom 

When you burn music to a disk from a computer, you can do it in one of two ways:

1) Audio CD - this converts the MP3 music files on your computer back into the type of data that's used to create audio CDs like you would buy in HMV etc, so they're no longer MP3 files but you've created a regular music CD that will play on just about any CD player (except old ones that can't play recordable disks). Burning disks this way you'll get about 80 minutes on a disk.

2) Data CD - All this does is make exact copies of the MP3 files on your computer onto the disk which can't be played by any old CD player as the CD player won't understand them. However, some players have the additional capability to play MP3 tracks, meaning as well as understanding normal audio CD tracks, they can also understand MP3 tracks and play them. MP3 tracks take up a lot less space than normal CD tracks, so you can fit many times more tracks on a data CD.

MP3 tracks are smaller because they use compression, which effectively strips out some of the music (in very simple terms) - just how much depends on the bitrate you select when you create the MP3 track. A higher bitrate, the better quality the MP3 but the bigger the file, so you'll fit less on the disk.

Although CD quality is in theory better than MP3 (again, I'm being a bit general here), once you've created/ripped an MP3 track from an original audio CD, it's best to burn that track to a new disk as an MP3 file (data CD) as long as you've got equipment that will play it rather than an CD file (audio CD), as every time you convert from one format to another, you lose some of the quality.

If you use something like Windows Media Player or iTunes to burn a music CD, IIRC it tends to do this as an audio CD unless you specify otherwise. As stated, this isn't the best solution if your CD player can play MP3 files. Simply copying the tracks to a CD using Windows or OS X will create a data CD, which is the better option. However, you need to check that all the tracks are MP3s, other formats like AAC (iTunes purchases) will not be recognised unless they're converted to MP3s or are burnt as an audio CD.

One thing to remember is that it's best to go for "big name" recordable CDs, such as Sony or Maxell, as cheap ones have a very high failure rate in my experience. Can you view the contents of the CD you've tried to burn on your computer and play music back from it on there? Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #260433 Mon Mar 22 2010 1:44pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

Oh, and a word of advice... recordable DVDs are slightly thicker than recordable CDs. Don't try playing a DVD on a CD player unless it specifically says it can play DVDs or you run the risk of it becoming stuck (especially in changers). And the warranty won't cover the repair either, as it tends to warn against this in the manual. Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #260436 Mon Mar 22 2010 1:48pm
Warren G

WOW, your a star, just followed your advice, popped out to the car and it works a treat.

Much appreciated, thanks. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Off out now for a drive and some Black Eyed Peas. Cool

Post #260466 Mon Mar 22 2010 3:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1