Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Stability control - How do I know its working? From a Newbie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

capetoniandewd

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Arctic Frost
Stability control - How do I know its working? From a Newbie

Hi guys, Maybe someone can help me.
I have never drivind a vehicle with stability control before - Ex Jeep Wrangler owner.

Just wanted to know what to expect. I was driving this weekend for the first time at high speed.

1) Does the suspension lower itself, as I dont know how to determine this.
The manual says it lowers automatically at about 140 KM's per hour. But When I was riding about 160 km's Per Hour, I checked out the 4x4 INFO screen, and it did not display that the suspension was lowered. ?

2) Having never driven with such a large (In my eyes, compared to what I am used too) vehicle, what can I expect from the Stability control system. What I find is at high speeds when taking a turn, it almost feels like someone grabs the steering wheel and turns it into the corner a bit, I typically then react by pulling on the steering wheel to try rectify to "Seemingly over steer" Not sure if I am making any sence at all, But thats just my experience.

How should this feature handle ? There could be a problem and I dont know about, or it could be normal and I must get used to it ?

Thanks guys.
S

Post #17602 Wed Mar 15 2006 12:19pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Are you referring to Dynamic Response or traction control? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #17606 Wed Mar 15 2006 12:27pm
capetoniandewd

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Arctic Frost

I think its called Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) button, My understanding is, this performs or gives better handling at high speeds and around corners, or am i totally misinformed?

Maybe an explanation of what to expect from DSC and traction control would help. A best friend has a golf GTI and they have ESP which I though it the same as the RRS's DSC?

Post #17620 Wed Mar 15 2006 12:47pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

You wont notice anything from the DSC - only that the car handles well.

If you want to play, find some open land that you can churn up a bit - ideally a wet grass field. Then drive as fast as you can in a tight circle on full lock. Then (before you get sick) turn off the DSC and you'll find you'll loose control of the car. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #17624 Wed Mar 15 2006 12:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Yes - DSC is LRs traction control offering. The usual mixture of computers and sensors that manage power to all the four wheels in low traction/wheelspin conditions. Obviously, the laws of physics still apply but it should help to avoid silly mistakes on road and of course, helps offroad (although not 100% of the time).

Dynamic Response (which I assume you don't have) is only available as standard on the Supercharged models and this is another computer/sensor-based system which manages the suspension stiffness during cornering to lessen body roll. 

Post #17626 Wed Mar 15 2006 12:58pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Just what you need - More electronics to go wrong Shocked Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #17632 Wed Mar 15 2006 1:02pm
Pelyma

England 

DSC isn't traction control it backs the power off when it feels the car is going to loose control. As previously mentioned a slippery surface is the easiest situation to see it work. This is why many first time offroaders are dissapointed that they get stuck on a wet grassy field, the DSC backs the power off! Make sure if you go into grass gravel snow to drive on a slippy surface switch DSC off. Once you are used to it you find that you don't need to unless you get real slippy conditions.

Post #17633 Wed Mar 15 2006 1:04pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

A system that backs power off of the driving wheels when it senses wheel slip IS traction control, surely? Wink I did also say it doesn't help offroad 100% of the time! Whistle Wink 

Post #17640 Wed Mar 15 2006 1:12pm
Pelyma

England 

No it's not really slip it senses it is side to side motion more that is easily recreated on slippy surfaces. TC uses the ABS to damp the braking on the wheel. If you drive across mogul type obsticles where a wheel is lifted in the air you will see that wheel turn in a jerky fashion as the TC stops it. DSC backs the power off as it senses you are going to crash by erratic movements. If you switch DSC off TC (not turbochip) will still work fine.

Post #17654 Wed Mar 15 2006 1:46pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

OK, I didn't realise that was particularly the case Smile But is it not also the job of DSC to react to slipping wheels in the more traditional sense? This works in partnership with EBD to help you going hedgebound in onroad situations? This is certainly how it works on other marques... I'm assuming it's the same for LRs... 

Post #17660 Wed Mar 15 2006 2:19pm
chex

ooh

a fellow african - welcome.

I think you'll find that the 'oversteer' feeling is from not being used to driving a car that rolls in the bends.

The suspension lowers itself at 140 km/h if it is in off road height to start off with, if it is in on-road height it won't change.

Like pelyma, I think it was, said - you won;t feel DSC unless the wheels are about to spin - try wheelspinning with the system on and then off and you'll see the difference.

Post #17711 Wed Mar 15 2006 3:42pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Can I butt in here..............

DSC is NOT traction control, DSC DOES cut engine power to avoid a nasty accident which is why it is left on all the time EXCEPT when you are in deep snow, sand or mud.

I put a posting on another thread that explains how it works but at I'll go over it again!

DSC is BMW speak and it is a computer that continuously monitors the steering, brake, ABS, Traction control and throttle inputs as well as the vertical, lateral and horizontal motion of the car using accelerometers. Should steering or throttle inputs from the driver suddenly change like you start emergency braking or if the accelerometrs sense that you could be about to roll the car then it will automatically brake wheels that are loosing traction or locking up and cut the power output of the engine.
You have to override it in deep snow, sand or mud because if you start wrenching the steering wheel round and back and pumping the gas the computer is fooled into thinking you want to crash/ roll and cuts the power, which is not something you really want when you are trying to coax your beautiful wagon out of a snowfield, sand dune or mudbath, where basically you bury your foot in the luxury carpets and cane the beast to within an inch of it's life to allow the other electronics to do their stuff to get back out. It's very spectacular to see a DSC equipped car operating with it inhibited. If you are going on the Factory trip ask the instructor who takes you round the LRE/Jungle experience to show you what happens when you inhibit it on a very slippery surface. I got to do it in their brand new 1000mile on the clock RRVogue last year............. be prepared to leave brown stains on their lovely leather chairs because it will scare the bejesus out of you if they do it on the Russian Log road section or when you get to walk the car down the steep flight of stairs.......! At the HOTL day they will show you how to do all sorts of things you have only ever seen in the movies - in their cars fortunately!!

Oh and remember to pack some spare underpants and trousers for the trip home! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #17730 Wed Mar 15 2006 3:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chex

good info =)

dont think anyone said DSC=traction control though

Post #17732 Wed Mar 15 2006 3:55pm
Pelyma

England 

Yes they did!

Post #17747 Wed Mar 15 2006 4:04pm
chex

O.o

my mistake

Post #17783 Wed Mar 15 2006 4:28pm