RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Iphone query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Iphone query

Can anyone help me explain why my Iphone gets no signal at home (on o2) but why wife's Iphone gets a weak (2 bars) but useable signal in exactly the same place and on the same network ? Its peeing me off. Come to think of it - my Iphone always seems to get a slightly weaker reception than I would expect and regularly drops calls in the car where my previous N95 (also on 02) was 100% reliable. Other than throw my phone away, or put up with it as is, can I do anything to boost the signal ? RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #256580 Sat Feb 20 2010 6:24am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It does mean nobody from work can contact you when you are at home though S................................... sorry cannot help other than check which software version both phones are running 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #256593 Sat Feb 20 2010 11:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Maybe down to a damaged aerial in the iPhone or maybe Apple swapped manufactures between your wifes and yours Confused

Post #256595 Sat Feb 20 2010 12:45pm
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Try to go on your iPhone into: settings, general, reset, reset networks.

This will reset all networks info to factory settings but also means you will have to reinput wifi passwords again.

After this, reboot the phone (turn it off by holding top button down a few second untold the red slide to turn off bar appears) once off, restart it.

If this did not help, try a restore of the phone from iTunes. Be carefully as unless you have a proper back up of your data, you will loose them. Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #256598 Sat Feb 20 2010 1:36pm
AndrewHG2

Unsure which version you have but his might work ?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/clearboost

or

Swicth 3G off manually:
"The iPhone 3G automatically switches between 3G and 2G networks for voice and data connections. In theory, the phone should hop off 3G when signal strength is too low or non-existent, and hop back on when the signal gets better. In our experience, however, the iPhone 3G isn't aggressive enough regarding the switch from 3G to 2G. In other words, you may find that your phone stays connected to a 3G network when the signal strength is too low to allow incoming or outgoing calls."

or

"A number of other signal-strength-boosting techniques are available, including:

Reset iPhone
In some cases, simply resetting the iPhone can resolve signal strength issues. Hold down the home and sleep buttons simultaneously until you see the white Apple logo, indicating that your iPhone has restarted.

Reset network settings
Tap Settings, tap General, tap Reset, tap Reset Network Settings. This will cause your iPhone to restart, and will delete any stored Wi-Fi passwords as well as DNS settings and more. It can resolve signal strength issues in some cases.

Reseat your SIM card
If your iPhone's SIM card is not seated properly, signal strength can suffer. Try re-seating the SIM by pushing a straightened paper clip into the small hole on the top of the device to open the SIM tray, making sure the SIM Card is properly in place, then re-inserting the SIM tray. Also check for debris inside the tray or SIM card slot.

Replace your SIM card
If you've exhausted conventional solutions, a replacement SIM card from your local provider may prove beneficial to signal strength.

Attach tape to your SIM card
Rooted in the notion that improper SIM contact can result in a weak signal, reports indicate that attaching a small piece of scotch tape to the outer side of the iPhone's SIM card (the side that does not have metal contacts) can result in a surprising boost. We certainly can't recommend this procedure, as it might void your iPhone?s warranty. But if you've already cleaned debris and made sure your SIM card is properly seated, a piece of scotch tape may very well provide the added pressure needed for proper contact and a strong signal.

Restore the iPhone
Connect your iPhone to your system then click the Restore button under the Summary tab in iTunes. Restoring the phone will erase contacts, calendars, photos and other data on the phone (including any third-party applications), but will restore automatically backed-up information including text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, etc.

Some users have reported that restoring the iPhone, but not restoring custom settings data from the computer-stored backup alleviates this issue. Note that you'll lose text messages, notes, call history, contact favorites, sound settings, widget settings, etc with this method, though you can restore them anytime by simply doing another restore and choosing to push the backup to the phone.

Dock the phone or just attach a (dangling) USB cable We previously reported that docking the iPhone or attaching it to a host computer via a USB cable (in turn delivering a charge) can boost signal strength dramatically. It's difficult to discern whether the signal is boosted by simply having a cable attached, or whether the power delivered during a charge boosts signal strength.

At least one iPhone Atlas reader found that simply attaching a dangling (not connected to anything) USB cable to his iPhone provided an instant boost in signal strength.

Give the phone a full charge (battery related?)
Some evidence indicates that poor signals are a symptom of low battery charges, though this fix may be conflated with the aforementioned: docking the phone or attaching a USB cable"

Post #256606 Sat Feb 20 2010 6:24pm
Tim in Scotland

When I couldn't get my iphone to lock onto to overseas networks O2 told me to remove the sim and wipe it with a clean dry cloth and to wipe the sim slot then replace the sim, apparently they can suffer static build-up in the card slot. Worked for me. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #256629 Sat Feb 20 2010 8:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Interesting, I just got an iPhone last week and am having exactly the same issue. Fine at work but poor in my office at home, where my previous Nokia had no issue at all (and on the same provider).

Reseating the SIM card worked for me... Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #256785 Mon Feb 22 2010 11:24am
cherokee1111

United Kingdom 

glad to see its not just me, iPhone 3g annoyed me sooooo much I gave it away and got a 3gs which is no better, I have to stand at one spot at home and if I dare wander while talking I end up being a Dalek Big Cry
I'll try the reseat and wipe the card but I'm sceptical.

O2 say they have 98% UK coverage, well the 2% missing is my house and office Censored Clones are people two

Post #256950 Tue Feb 23 2010 1:59pm
Tim in Scotland

As somebody else said it is best to turn off the 3g as that is often what prevents a perfectly good non 3g signal from getting through. At home I get no 3g but 5 bars of O2 old style signal but the uphone says no signal if the 3g is left on. The other problem with 3G is it drains the battery quickly if you leave it on all the time. Best to switch of the 3G when browsing isn't required - the phone will still download emails by wifi or GPRS. As soon as the phone starts searching for a signal it eats the battery. BUT I still love mine, it's the first smartphone I have owned that has been able to access my mail box with ease, I couldn't get my BB Pearl to work with hotmail. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #256952 Tue Feb 23 2010 2:09pm
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Cherokee, I know what you're saying. My parents live in B.S.E. and wwhen in toown I got full O2 coverage in town, as long as I wasn't in the pub. Back at home, which was on a hill, Censored all reception with either 2G or 3G. My parents had T-mobile and had full coverage on both 2 and 3G.

Personally, I think its just O2 being c**p! O2 didn't work here in Oman when I first arrived and still doesn't, despite O2 saying it would. But, my A1 (Austria) pay as you go and my T-mobile (Germany & Switzerland) post paids all worked. As did colleagues T-Mobile, Orange, Vodafone etc from the UK...

Rant over O2 over, contract cancelled, nuff said.

Guy

Post #256957 Tue Feb 23 2010 2:38pm
Pelyma

England 

shmoogle wrote:
Interesting, I just got an iPhone last week and am having exactly the same issue. Fine at work but poor in my office at home, where my previous Nokia had no issue at all (and on the same provider).

Reseating the SIM card worked for me... Thumbs Up

Careful you'll be coming across to the darkside soon. Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #256959 Tue Feb 23 2010 3:44pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Laughing Laughing

NEVER!!! 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #256964 Tue Feb 23 2010 4:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1