Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Spotted > Very badly crashed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>

d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Where are the pics of this black one you guys are mentioning? Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #17226 Tue Mar 14 2006 8:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

Good morning mpwox11

in order to view the SMASHED BLACK RRS lclick on the link http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=203 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #17242 Tue Mar 14 2006 9:34am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

byron wrote:
Had it been rough weather during transport, which made the car roll so much inside the ship and assuming the same thing would have happened to all the rest of the cars, I think that there would have been such a weight shift inside the ship, it most probably would have sunk

Byron, it only takes one car in the hold of a ro-ro car carrier to break loose in bad weather and all the cars round it get battered but they don't all slide downhill to the low side and sink the ship............. trust me I've seen what happens when 1 or 2 of the 4 lashing straps that hold a car down inside a car carrier break and it is very localised and not a nice sight These lashings are pretty strong but just occassionally they do part. Often it is the securing eye built onto the vehicle that fails and not the strop or chain used to secure the car.

3 years ago there was a well known inicident in the Approaches to Antwerp/ River Scheldte when the "Tricolor" was hit by another ship and sank. One of the problems the salvors had was that many of the high end Volvos (mainly about to be launched XC90's), Saabs and BMWs were found still to be secured to the decks by their lashings and the ship had rolled over 90degrees which made removing the cars very difficult and dangerous 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #17243 Tue Mar 14 2006 9:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Didn't they cut the ship into pieces using the industrial equivalent of a cheese wire? I remeber seeing a cross section of the hull and all the cars inside sliced into 2. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #17249 Tue Mar 14 2006 9:47am
Josh

United Kingdom 

Looks like a high speed roll, off road, probably downhill on a sand dune. As I understand speed on sand is the way to do it.
The interesting factor is that they have all been S/C's so far. Must be something to be said for slow and quiet diesels Thud TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #17253 Tue Mar 14 2006 9:50am
Tim in Scotland

Yes VA, they did and cut it into 4000t sections to remove it in bits on barges. Believe it or not during recovery ops 4 ships ran into the wreck despite there being a huge floodlight barge and 2 monster floating cranes as well as myriad radar transponder equipped buoys and the coastguards in the UK and France asking every ship that went through the region if they were aware of the wreck and to keep clear! Every body I heard respond answered yes...... so you wonder how so many ships ran into it! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #17254 Tue Mar 14 2006 9:52am
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

Josh wrote:
Looks like a high speed roll, off road, probably downhill on a sand dune. As I understand speed on sand is the way to do it.
The interesting factor is that they have all been S/C's so far. Must be something to be said for slow and quiet diesels Thud

Very good point Josh, making me feel slightly better about this subject. I guess u don't see many manufacturers testing (in the case of the black one) a car flying off a road at >70mph and flipping over several times- looked like roof 1st to me, or as in this case what a dune bugging rrs traveling at possibly supercharged speed does when it flies into a dune - 1st time i've seen a bonnet origamied Shocked !.

I guess we'd never buy a car if we saw the worst wreck of every brand. P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #17278 Tue Mar 14 2006 10:43am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Believe it or not during recovery ops 4 ships ran into the wreck despite there being a huge floodlight barge and 2 monster floating cranes as well as myriad radar transponder equipped buoys and the coastguards in the UK and France asking every ship that went through the region if they were aware of the wreck and to keep clear! Every body I heard respond answered yes...... so you wonder how so many ships ran into it!

Were you one of them Tim! Very Happy Seriously I remember all thses muppets hitting it and I couldn't believe it. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #17279 Tue Mar 14 2006 10:46am
Tim in Scotland

VA, the ships that I sail on are so big that and fast and create a large wash at speed that we were requested to slow down to below 28knots when going passed so the wash didn't cause problems for the barges and divers. The furthest off the wreck we could pass was 2 miles............... due to traffic lane width restrictions. BTW a "narrow" lane for us is something less than 2 miles wide and not less than 20m deep! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #17307 Tue Mar 14 2006 11:25am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Just think if the lanes on the M25 were that big... it'd still be a carpark at 8am!! Laughing 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #17309 Tue Mar 14 2006 11:27am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
VA, the ships that I sail on are so big that and fast and create a large wash at speed that we were requested to slow down to below 28knots when going passed so the wash didn't cause problems for the barges and divers. The furthest off the wreck we could pass was 2 miles............... due to traffic lane width restrictions. BTW a "narrow" lane for us is something less than 2 miles wide and not less than 20m deep! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I rember sailing across the Channel in my younger days and it gets a bit hairy crossing the shipping lanes. Sail over steam my arse! You guys get very close very quickly! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #17311 Tue Mar 14 2006 11:29am
Tim in Scotland

VA - you trying to get me rattled or what? I'm on holiday so don't get me started about sail's right of way over steam (it isn't true all the time BTW!).

I sail too and get really cheesed off with yotties in the club bar who think everything on the ocean has to give way to them - and the racing guys are the worst! They and their 1-2m draft.............. I have 14m of ship underneath the water and in many places in the Channel at low tide I have less than 1m of water under the keel and cannot get out of the way when they can!! They wouldn't even think of anchoring in water that shallow.............. I have to do 28knots in that depth and I can assure you it does some weird things to the steering.

And before you ask, yes I have run one over - in the Solent when despite the safety boat that preceeds us up to Prince Consort and the Brambles channels trying to push the Censored out of the way he still wouldn't budge. To get round the bends at Calshot I have to pass Cowes at 23 knots then stop the engine and let the momentum carry the ship round the bends. We cannot stop easily once we are committed to that route! Best moto when in the Channel is if you can see a ship, work on the fact that they probably haven't seen you as you are such a tiny spec on the ocean, and you keep out of their way. The boat owner above was procecuted and fined heavily for endangering safety of life at sea - not only did he risk the lives of the crew of his own boat but the 18 people on my ship. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #17317 Tue Mar 14 2006 11:51am
kam100

United Kingdom 

Surely.. If you're bigger, then you have the right of way?
Thats the way it should work..

In Pakistan on the mad roads, thats the rule that most follow, if its bigger then you, get the hell out of its way. Therefore Motorbikes/cyclists are at the most risk.. but they know this, so its all good.

Post #17320 Tue Mar 14 2006 11:55am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Tim don't get me wrong I am fully aware the difficulties that your ships have. I NEVER live by the sail over steam motto - I just get the hell out of the way! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #17322 Tue Mar 14 2006 11:57am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I remember watching a Keith Floyd programme once years ago on telly where he was in India I think it was and was being transported from A to B on one of those little motorised tuk-tuk things through the mad traffic. Looked like one of the scariest journeys you'd ever take and open to the air as well... And I thought it was bad circumnavigating the Place de la Concorde in Paris in the secure confines of a car! Rolling Eyes 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #17325 Tue Mar 14 2006 11:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>