RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > JLR CEO has left
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
JLR CEO has left

Just on the PM programme financial section - David Smith has left JLR and been replaced by one of the Tata family, Ravi tata. No reason given but he did not resign ....................
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8479300.stm 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #251840 Mon Jan 25 2010 6:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Interesting.... nothing on t'interweb yet. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #251844 Mon Jan 25 2010 6:41pm
Gazzer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I'm sure Dave Smith was good at what he does, but my reservation I had about him was that he is an accountant. IMHO an accountant is a tail wagging the company dog. Far too many companies are being run by bean counters, including my own, which tend to ruin the final product with penny pinching. A Good CEO, should be able to turn a profit through it's product or service, anyone can make a profit by cutting costs out of a business.

Dave Smiths replacement is tempoary according to The Times, talk is of the Opel Europe GM coming on board. 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #252319 Thu Jan 28 2010 11:13am
WSLR

United Kingdom 

I think you'll find that the situation was likely to have occured as the chiefs at TATA central were stepping on his feet (not literally though) with regards to decision making. No point being a CEO if someone else is calling the shots.

Even on the office level now, some of the work done on site at Gaydon is now being moved to India. That's only going to happen more and more as it is the typical way for an Indian company to reduce its costs.

Post #256670 Sun Feb 21 2010 11:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tornado34

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

First class comment Gazzer, I have worked for companies run by Accountants and they are so far from commercial reality (from a business and product development view) it's unreal.

Accountants should be viewed and treated like typewriters - i.e having a typewriter doesn't make you a top selling author - the typewriter is just a black and white binary function which needs a ceative operator - enter the CEO. CEO's need to use all the tools in their business and Accountants are just one tool. Once Accountants get given the reins of a company, they cut out the value and quality and soul of the business - I am yet to be proved wrong over the long term. As you say, anyone can make savings and improve the short position, but at what REAL cost?!

JFI, I am a CEO of a medim sized company so I speak from the heart Thumbs Up

Post #256687 Sun Feb 21 2010 2:26pm
Gazzer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Smiths replacement seems like a great choice. Plenty of experince with LR while both were with BMW and also experience with the PAG Group under Ford.

I'd be interested to know what bits of JLR are going over to India? Probably the IT bits? Bit of a hammer blow to Macclesfield y'day, with Corus closing their steel mill, only for TATA to be building 2 new mills in India. 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #256690 Sun Feb 21 2010 3:00pm
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

It's Ralf Speth according to a few news reports. MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #256702 Sun Feb 21 2010 6:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1