RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Fuel Burning Heater help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Fuel Burning Heater help

If the interior heater is completely switched OFF, can someone confirm whether their FBH starts up when the air temperature is below 5 deg and the engine is cold (so that the engine reaches its correct operating temperature asap). Mine only works when the interior heating is switched on to Economy or aircon, which seems a bit daft as this only lengthens the time the engine takes to warm up.

Can someone please check this out before the warmer weather comes? Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #256010 Wed Feb 17 2010 12:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

We don't have the FFBH here but I would agree with you.

Quote:
While the engine is running, if the ambient air temperature is less than 9 °C (48 °F) and the ECT (engine coolant temperature) is less than 75 °C (167 °F) the ATC (automatic temperature control) module changes the status message from 'heater off' to 'supplemental heat'. The control module then changes the status message it sends the ATC (automatic temperature control) module to 'supplemental heat' and starts the FFBH.

The Control Module controls and monitors operation of the FFBH. Smile

What this has got to do with the interior switches is baffling. Surprised Surprised Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #256112 Wed Feb 17 2010 10:56pm
rrsjo

Thanks Bobby

Can someone, with the Fuel Burning Heater fitted, check this out for me please - whilst the weather is still cold. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #256146 Thu Feb 18 2010 12:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
samd

England 

The FBH is referred to in the RRS manual under the section Heating and Ventilation and I think (memory may be wrong) that when I had a Freelander 2, the manual clearly claimed the FBH was there to improve in cabin heating for diesel engine that are slow to warm up.

I have always thought that with RRS it is the same but the wording in the manual could be better and, therefore, makes sense on the heating controls.

Post #256198 Thu Feb 18 2010 10:10am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

FBH is only there to assist the engine warming when external temp is below +5 degrees. It starts automatically when vehicle is started . The knock on effect is that the cabin will heat up slightly quicker as well, when heater is on !

You can not turn the FBH on manualy it is external temp and engine sensed. i.e. cold engine and o/s temp +5 or below. It will turn itself off once engine heats up. Your internal heater control should have nothing to do with it.

If you have the Park Heat option then you can turn it on manualy but this is an option on 10MY cars. Discussed in length here http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic16407.html?highlight=fbh Thumbs Up MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #256211 Thu Feb 18 2010 10:41am
samd

England 

Bobby wrote:
We don't have the FFBH here but I would agree with you.

Quote:
While the engine is running, if the ambient air temperature is less than 9 °C (48 °F) and the ECT (engine coolant temperature) is less than 75 °C (167 °F) the ATC (automatic temperature control) module changes the status message from 'heater off' to 'supplemental heat'. The control module then changes the status message it sends the ATC (automatic temperature control) module to 'supplemental heat' and starts the FFBH.

The Control Module controls and monitors operation of the FFBH. Smile

What this has got to do with the interior switches is baffling. Surprised Surprised

But isn't the ATC the bit that controls the internal/cabin temp? If so and ONLY IF the ATC is calling for heat will the FBH fire up?

I still reckon the aim of the FBH is cabin temperature which it does by heating the engine up more quickly.

Post #256227 Thu Feb 18 2010 11:14am
rrsjo

All of these responses still don't answer my initial question.

Presuming that the maximum air and water conditions are met, is the FFBH supposed to start up and get the engine up to its operating temperature WITH the interior cabin heater controls all switched OFF?

The only way to find out is to go out and try it whilst the engine is cold and the air temperature is below 5 deg. Press the cabin heater switch marked 'off' with the ignition on, BUT prior to starting the engine. When you start the engine the FFBH should start up almost immediately. Mine will only start with the cabin heater switched on and then blasts cold air throughout the cabin due to the engine coolant being cold. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #256245 Thu Feb 18 2010 12:26pm
samd

England 

rrsjo wrote:
All of these responses still don't answer my initial question.

Sorry but I was trying to:

1. My FBH does NOT work if the heating is switched to off
2. Have checked with local LR service manager and, having confirmed with technical, agrees it should NOT work with heater in off position.
3. Why would the FBH be for anything other than cabin heating? If it was solely to heat up the engine, the only reason for that would be to save fuel (cold engine more fuel etc). Having a separate heater with its own losses of efficiency would burn more fuel than would be saved by a warm engine!!

The FBH is there to improve cabin warm-up and it makes total sense that it would be heater-setting controlled and explains why fuel consumption is even higher in cold weather.

Post #256268 Thu Feb 18 2010 2:22pm
Bobby

Quote:
In some markets diesel models have auxiliary heating provided by a FFBH, which boosts the temperature of the engine coolant supplied to the vehicle heater assembly. Fuel for the FFBH is taken from the vehicle fuel tank, through a fuel line attached to the fuel pump module. In the FFBH, the fuel is burned and the resultant heat output is used to heat the engine coolant. The FFBH system supplements vehicle heater performance while the engine is running, and is transparent to the driver.
 Malaysia Boleh!

Post #256273 Thu Feb 18 2010 2:36pm
Bobby

I'm surprised nobody on here has taken the trouble to check this issue on their RRS? Shocked Malaysia Boleh!

Post #256384 Thu Feb 18 2010 11:02pm
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Tested my 07MY TdV8 two days running from a cold start with 1deg C ambient temperature both days. With heating switched to OFF no FBH activity.

I didn't realise this and am delighted as it always frustrates me that whenever I move our old Freelander I can't prevent the FBH going through it's full start up and shutdown/purge procedure. Still at least I can start that FBH either remotely or via the timer to get a warm cabin.

Post #256871 Mon Feb 22 2010 9:05pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Bob, I have the same with the RRS if I want to move it off the drive to get my Defender out. This is something worth knowing from that point of view and should help cut out some extra fuel consumption and keep a green happier! Do you know if it still comes on if you press the "Prog" button on a cold morning with the other ventilation off? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #256882 Mon Feb 22 2010 9:43pm
rrsjo

Bob

Thanks for going out and trying this.

Seems to confirm that, as standard, the FFBH will only start if the cabin heater controls are not switched off. It still doesn't seem the quickest way to get the engine up to temp. Instead the FFBH should be be used to the get the engine up to temperature as quick as possible to minimise engine wear, instead of using some of its heat to provide warmth to the cars interior. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #256928 Tue Feb 23 2010 9:36am
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Do you know if it still comes on if you press the "Prog" button on a cold morning with the other ventilation off?

Yes Tim it does come on. I also confirmed on the 09MY TdV8 courtesy car I have that there is no FBH activity with the OFF button pressed the same as on my 07MY.

If anyone wants the FBH to be used to preheat the engine, LR list a kit (part no JEC501490) under TSB LTB00027 - Cold Climate Starting Aid. This installs a Webasto timer system. Timer and phone operated installations have also been covered extensively on DISCO3.CO.UK.

Post #257065 Wed Feb 24 2010 9:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1