RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > Tricks to correct uneven wear Contis?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

SkyWalker

Netherlands 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
Tricks to correct uneven wear Contis?

I've got 4 Contis Sportcontact 275 40 20 fitted on 20' 10 spokes.
After 6000 km they start to show uneven wear on the outer part... Big Cry
I know from reading the threads that it happened to other RRS, but:

-What is the reason for this uneven wear, since it is a common problem?
-Is there a way to correct this? My "old" Goodyear Wrangler F1 255 55 19' on 5 spokes wear very even....
-Does it help to run the tires on higher than recommended pressure? If so, how much higher?

Thanks

Also run an Ford Focus TTDI 2001 from new, which we use only for the airport runs.
Now it has covered 104 k km on the origional Goodyear tires,
and the rear tires are still very good. Front wheel tires where replaced last weeks,
but where still well above minimum. Bow down SW

Sometimes it is not enough to do our best;
sometimes we must do what is required.

Adriatic Blue 2005 RRS HSE 2.7 TDV6
Now: 2016 RRS HSE DYNAMIC 3.0 TDV6

Post #254971 Thu Feb 11 2010 12:43pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

It's usually tyre pressure - when was the last ime you checked the pressure? I have just replace 2 conti's after 21000 miles and only because one of the tyres was punctured. I always check my tyre pressure and the tyres I replaced probably had another 6k left on them. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #254981 Thu Feb 11 2010 1:21pm
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver
Re: Tricks to correct uneven wear Contis?

SkyWalker wrote:
I've got 4 Contis Sportcontact 275 40 20 fitted on 20' 10 spokes.
After 6000 km they start to show uneven wear on the outer part... Big Cry
I know from reading the threads that it happened to other RRS, but:

-What is the reason for this uneven wear, since it is a common problem?
-Is there a way to correct this? My "old" Goodyear Wrangler F1 255 55 19' on 5 spokes wear very even....
-Does it help to run the tires on higher than recommended pressure? If so, how much higher?

Thanks

Also run an Ford Focus TTDI 2001 from new, which we use only for the airport runs.
Now it has covered 104 k km on the origional Goodyear tires,
and the rear tires are still very good. Front wheel tires where replaced last weeks,
but where still well above minimum. Bow down

Mine aregoing on the outer edge too, I will be calling LR today GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #271693 Tue Jul 20 2010 6:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Mine too are going on the outside edge, when I get back to Belgium it will be going in to get checked, I am on my second set of contis and this second set has not lasted as well as the first set. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #271708 Tue Jul 20 2010 9:03am
Aitchy

United Kingdom 

mine is in for some attention and a 16k service. I have asked for a front to rear swap as only the n/s front one has excessive "feathering" on it so i am hopeful for a 30k return on these Conti's. On my previous D3 i had pirrelli scorpion (and on the loaner D4 i am currently in) and they do not deliver the same degree of turn in and feel distinctly "rubbery", which could be due to the higher sidewalls, but overall, Conti's are ok. My 2010MY RRS 3.0 TDV6SE is Nara Bronze with Almond leather, straight grain walnut trim, 20" 15 spoke alloy's, mood lighting and power fold mirrors Gone

Post #271814 Wed Jul 21 2010 12:46pm
Rudskibaliblu

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

This is a section of a technical bulletin that i recieved after compaining the outer edges were wearing uneven. Quote A customer may report uneven tyre wear on vehicles fitted with 20" wheels and Continental sport contact tyres.
Cause: Due to the tread pattern design of this tyre, there can appear to be inner or outer shoulder wear. This is in fact just the natural tread wear, but as the design of the lateral grooves continues around the sidewall, the very ends of the grooves do not wear giving rise to a "band" of wear at the edge of the contact patch.

Action: No action is required for this issue as it is deemed a characteristic of the tyre and not a fault.

Make of this what you will they still look bloody worn to me!! Big Cry Now gone Orkney grey SDV6 HSE with body style kit contrast stitch ebony leather, privacy, black piano, 22" Lowenharts for summer, 20" with Leon LTZ for winter.
Here 110 black edition defender.

Post #271824 Wed Jul 21 2010 2:16pm
JC1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Aitchy wrote:
mine is in for some attention and a 16k service. I have asked for a front to rear swap as only the n/s front one has excessive "feathering" on it so i am hopeful for a 30k return on these Conti's. On my previous D3 i had pirrelli scorpion (and on the loaner D4 i am currently in) and they do not deliver the same degree of turn in and feel distinctly "rubbery", which could be due to the higher sidewalls, but overall, Conti's are ok.

I would say it is normal to get a bit more wear on the n/s front due to roundabouts, and 30k miles out of conti's is acceptable.

All four of mine are feathered with only 5K miles, if they continue to rub out at this rate i will be lucky to see 10k miles, wont be putting any more conti's on thats for sure. MY10 3.0 HSE Santorini Black, Ivory Premium & extended leather, privacy, paddles, diamond turned alloys, Ipod lead that charges, tasmods, rrsport.co.uk stickers

Jeep 4.0 High Output XJ 94 6" teraflex lift, c/w rear coils, 9500lb winch, 35" TSL super swamper boggers, safari snorkel, custom made bumpers, tom woods custom double cardon driveshaft, twin electric fans. Don't follow it..............you wont make it. The first 4 x 4 by far.

Post #271826 Wed Jul 21 2010 2:46pm
silverpen

Australia 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 S Java Black
Factory fitted Continentals

I have a 2009 RRS with factory fitted Continentals. First service around 5000 kms I reported wear on the outer edges. The dealer suggested track alignment was required then reported that no adjustment was needed and trye pressures were spot on. Before next service at 15K, again I reported the problem as it was much worse and was told it was my driving style..... Tyres have been rotated, but the front edges are now almost illegal. My BMW has 25K on the clock and tyres are perfect. From reading this forum, excessive wear on Continentals seem to be a hot topic. Pirelli mileage on my previous Audi A6 was fantastic so my driving style appears to be good with other vehicles.

Any feedback please regarding discussion with LRA?
Silverpen Brisbane :shock: :shock:

Post #272191 Mon Jul 26 2010 12:05pm
jimhardy7

@ JC1: Just 5-10K miles only? Come on man! it seems as if you’re kidding, it really is unbelievable because I also got to do the same practice and I get mileage of no less than 25 to 30K miles. Then, how can you say so? Is it in terms of sporting sports and sports news?

Post #272899 Tue Aug 03 2010 1:09pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

jimhardy7 wrote:
@ JC1: Just 5-10K miles only? Come on man! it seems as if you’re kidding, it really is unbelievable because I also got to do the same practice and I get mileage of no less than 25 to 30K miles. Then, how can you say so? Is it in terms of sporting sports and sports news?
Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

Post #272944 Tue Aug 03 2010 8:44pm
JC1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

jimhardy7 wrote:

Jimhardy - Read my post correctly it was in reply to aitchy who stated that he only has wear on his nearside front and expects to get 30k out of his contis, again i would say this is acceptable.

5-10k is not acceptable quite clearly and i was not claiming it to be Whistle Maybe i did not make it clear enough. Rolling Eyes MY10 3.0 HSE Santorini Black, Ivory Premium & extended leather, privacy, paddles, diamond turned alloys, Ipod lead that charges, tasmods, rrsport.co.uk stickers

Jeep 4.0 High Output XJ 94 6" teraflex lift, c/w rear coils, 9500lb winch, 35" TSL super swamper boggers, safari snorkel, custom made bumpers, tom woods custom double cardon driveshaft, twin electric fans. Don't follow it..............you wont make it. The first 4 x 4 by far.

Post #272962 Tue Aug 03 2010 11:30pm
domy123

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Java Black

Rudskibaliblu wrote:
This is a section of a technical bulletin that i recieved after compaining the outer edges were wearing uneven. Quote A customer may report uneven tyre wear on vehicles fitted with 20" wheels and Continental sport contact tyres.
Cause: Due to the tread pattern design of this tyre, there can appear to be inner or outer shoulder wear. This is in fact just the natural tread wear, but as the design of the lateral grooves continues around the sidewall, the very ends of the grooves do not wear giving rise to a "band" of wear at the edge of the contact patch.

Action: No action is required for this issue as it is deemed a characteristic of the tyre and not a fault.

Make of this what you will they still look bloody worn to me!! Big Cry

I had the same problem with these tyres fitted to my bmw 650 and again bmw put it down to the tread pattern on the outer edges of the tyres. Current 2007 RRS S/C HST Premium Edition
-------------------------------------------------------
2008 BMW X5 4.8 MSport - Gone and will not be missed
Ferrari F430 Spider - Gone
Aston Martin DB9 - Gone
BMW 650 Cabriolet - Gone and will be missed

Post #283110 Wed Dec 15 2010 5:28pm
Steuart64

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Nothing to add but want to add the avatar as award season is looming!!!! Now - MY11 RRS Autobiography TDV6, Orkney gray, tints, steps, daylight running lamps and allllll the toys!!!
Ex- RRS HSE TDV6 07 Java Black, bi xenon, corner lights, side steps, tints, cool box, smoke side repeats, chrome "sport" boot sill
Ex - Audi A4 Cab 3.0TDi Quattro
Ex - Freelander2 SE TD4
Ex - CRV Auto

Post #283136 Wed Dec 15 2010 10:42pm
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver

Contis are crap... http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic18701.html?highlight=conti
Censored GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #283155 Thu Dec 16 2010 8:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tboner

England 

why is everyone so worried about the outer edge on the tyres when 80%+ of the tyre has 5mm +. The outer edge which is a rolled contact patch compared to Mich or Pirelli tyres which have far less roll corner ? 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #283157 Thu Dec 16 2010 9:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>