RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Spare Wheel Corrosion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Bob.

United Kingdom 
Spare Wheel Corrosion

This subject started when muffd mentioned on the fuel pump recall thread that his black alloy spare wheel was corroding (these are actually Disco3 alloys). As mine is as well I thought it might be worth starting a new thread to see if this is a common problem - anyone else ever looked?

I have taken this up with my dealer now.

Click image to enlarge

Post #254929 Thu Feb 11 2010 9:44am
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Mine is the same though not as bad as yours

Post #254942 Thu Feb 11 2010 10:17am
NoDo$h

Seems to be a problem with the black painted ones - not seen that on a silver-sparkle finish spare (and the one under my car has been on this and the previous one, so 100,000 miles of swinging in the breeze under a D3). Two lives - lived one

This season, oi be mostly toasting my left leg in the 90 while the missus drives the D3

Post #254943 Thu Feb 11 2010 10:37am
muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

yup. Mine is the same. The dealer has photographed the wheel and sent to Land Rover for comment. I am awaiting feedback. In fact, I think I'll go call them and ask for an update on this. Watch this space.
Muff If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #254958 Thu Feb 11 2010 11:14am
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Still a mystery to me why we have 8" wide 19" D3 spare wheels instead of the 9" RRS 19"ones. Confused

Post #255038 Thu Feb 11 2010 9:26pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Probably so they do not protrude to much underneath and spoil the clean cut lines of the back end and they are probably cheaper to make

Post #255040 Thu Feb 11 2010 9:29pm
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Judging by the paint quality they certainly should have been cheaper to make although they now retail at almost the same price ~£410:!:

I did think about the protrusion underneath but both 8J and 9J wheels would hang down the same distance because the 255 tyre fitted is wider than either rim - just looks very pinched in on the 8J cv 9J.

Post #255055 Thu Feb 11 2010 10:00pm
Endjin

Scotland 

MY 2007 TDV6 HSE didn't have a black spare. It had a full size standard 19" Alloy identical to the other wheels on the car. I haven't checked what the spare is like on my new 2010 model yet, but I'll have a look this weekend. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #255088 Fri Feb 12 2010 12:49am
sweetafton

England 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Any news on corrosion guys Thumbs Up

Post #257471 Sat Feb 27 2010 1:52pm
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Just got mine replaced under warranty. Thumbs Up

Dealer sent the pictures I posted above to LR who apparently didn't argue. Sad that "The System" wouldn't let me change to a RRS wheel instead of the standard black Disco one, even though I offered to pay the difference in list price. At least it would then have been the same size as my winter wheels.

Post #257477 Sat Feb 27 2010 2:39pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I'm not sure about this BUT I think there is a requirement that a "space saver" wheel and tyres has to be conspicuously painted so the authorities (read Plod/VOSA) can see that you are running on it. Usually they have a 50mph and fixed mileage limit for use and are skinny wheels that are brightly painted . If you normally run on 20" or bigger wheels then you are going to put quite a bit of stress in the transmission running one wheel with a much smaller size than the other 3 and there are some posts from this week where people say that their cars will not shift higher than 3rd or 4th gear running with odd sized tyres/wheels on the car. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #257484 Sat Feb 27 2010 4:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
C10KO

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

As mine have sat in the boot I had chance to check and it does not corrode Whistle

Post #257485 Sat Feb 27 2010 4:59pm
muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

despite pics sent by the stealers, LR have told me to sod off. No replacement spare wheel is forthcoming. And my warranty expires next month.

I also had the car in for one or two minor things that required someone from the service department to come with me on a road test. During our chat, I mentioned that I was holding off buying a new MY2010 car as I was concerned about the problems other owners are having with them - as reported quite vocally on our Forum. I was told that LR are currently in the middle of a large scale Quality Assurance programme to fix the known gremlins in all new 2010s and that the cars currently being built at the factory have had several modifications and software upgrades to rectify the dead battery and key non-recognition issues that are seemingly affecting the new model. The man from the dealer said I was being very sensible to wait until MY2011 to allow the current Quality assurance programme to be implemented to iron out the issues with the current model.

There you go Confused If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #262842 Mon Apr 12 2010 8:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1