RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2010 Flappy paddle steering wheel into 05-09
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MikeS

Australia 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange
2010 Flappy paddle steering wheel into 05-09

Did the LRE at Eastnor on Saturday, in a new TDV6 Sport with the flappy paddle gearbox / steering wheel. The instructor chappie mentioned that he thought the 'conversion' could be carried out on the previous model RRS (ie mine), anyone know if it's been done yet ? And if so, by whom ?

I know it can be done on automatic BMW's, by using a flappy paddle M steering wheel and a new wired connection into the gearbox as all the gubbins are already in the box, it's pretty much plug 'n' play. As the gearboxes are the same manufacturer he was under the impression the gearbox in the older model Sports also still has the gubbins in it to connect into, so it's almost a case of changing the steering wheel for the new spec one and having a wired connection made up.

Be excellent if this was possible, have to say I was incredibly impressed with the paddle changes on the new Sport, made an already impressive car into a belter for cross country driving Thumbs Up Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #254321 Mon Feb 08 2010 1:11pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I know the D4 steering wheel can be made to work on the D3 - look at disco3.co.uk. I think the basic wheel for the RRS is probably interchangeable too but I would guess the flappy paddles might be a problem. If possible I would also think an upgrade to the ECU might be needed. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #254323 Mon Feb 08 2010 1:15pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Site sponsors Bell Autos were looking at this I think - give them a shout Smile Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #254328 Mon Feb 08 2010 1:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tornado34

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Guys, I stand ready to be battered, but 'flappy paddles' are you sure?

I am not a big off roader, so maybe I am missing the point, but I have had (and driven) several flappy paddle shifts and they suck! Ask Mr. Clarkson!!!

With the exception of the Ferrari and a couple of other top end ones (which utalise a proper manual driveline and gearbox and the 'flappy bit' is just an extention of you dipping the clutch, changing gear and letting the clutch back out), they are hideous.

For the first week you will be an F1 driver, really - I lived the dream. But then I realised that the car is much better doing the changes itself and whats more, if I chose to change slightly early or late it ignored me, then made it's own decision anyway!!!! Not talking about dumping it into 2nd at 80!

I was convinced by Audi that their latest double clutch version was something special...oh, yes it was, but for all the wrong reasons. I'm not a big fan of automatics in sport cars, but putting flappy paddles with it is suicide.

My experience has been that when you call for a gear it doesn't come quickly enough - many times I've been shouting at the gearbox, whilst facing a 38 tonne truck coming hammering towards me,....change you Censored !!! I have driven manual 1.8ltr cars that could have eaten my 2.0 turbo petrol Audi (200ps) for breakfast!

Maybe off road is different - it kills everything in my eyes including performance.

Phew....feel better now Thumbs Up

Ps, they are good to hang the friday night take away on, no spills just like a gyro!!

Post #254330 Mon Feb 08 2010 1:35pm
MikeS

Australia 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Tornado, with the VAG double clutch system and the BMW M cars I'd agree with you, they're not the best to drive, I've driven the VAG setup and owned the M setup, so have experienced it. I've also driven an auto BMW with the aftermarket modification of M wheel and wiring and was about to have it fitted to my old 330d when the gearbox blew up, decided against it after that and chopped it in Laughing With it being a traditional auto though, rather than a clutched auto (iyswim), the changes are more comfortable. Just my opinion though.

Driving the Sport with paddles on the lanes round Ledbury I was very impressed, made punting it through the corners in the right gear a lot more comfortable than in my car with command shift to swap cogs. 2 hands on the wheel at all times, much better.

It also drives me crackers that the command shift is the 'wrong way round'. When I'm braking and want to downshift, I want to push the lever forward, not pull it backwards. That's counter-intuitive to me !!

Oh and my 4.4 V8 is always slow to go down the box when approaching corners / junctions etc, which was something I appreciated the paddle shift for.

Will have a look at Bell Autos and see what they have. Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #254339 Mon Feb 08 2010 1:50pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

Was sceptical when I ordered mine with the paddle shift but its grown on me. Find it very usefull for down shifting for engine braking on steep hills. Don't really use it for its 'sport' credentials but as a manual gear change not requiring the sport mode.

Quite useful in the right places Thumbs Up MY10 TDV6 HSE, Alaska White, Ebony with Contrast, Park Heat, Paddle Shift, Privacy, Heated Steering Wheel, Extended & Premium Leather,

MY07 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, Gone

-----------------------------
1964 Austin Healey 3000

2007 LR Defender

2011 VW Tiguan R Line

Post #254376 Mon Feb 08 2010 4:28pm
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

MikeS,

Totally agree with you on the Command Shift being the wrong wayround!! Many manufacturers are though. IIRC VAG has the same orientation, Mitzushitzi also, at least in the Pajero/ Shogun.

It's totally arse about face if I'm accelerating I want to 'pull' the shifter back up through the gears, if I'm braking to a corner 'push' the selector forward down through gears!!!

JLR and others should look at WRC cars... that's how they work! Why because its logical!!

Back to topic, because of the above I would love paddles mounted behind the steering wheel.

Guy

Post #254497 Tue Feb 09 2010 8:05am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I have done it on the D4 but it involved a software modification that would not suite all users, nor was it pratical.

So i went back to the drawing board and made some circuitry that replicated the "Hall effect sensor" that controls the command shift on the D4 autobox.
This will now make it a plug and play kit which is far better for warranty purposes Smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor

I dont see many reasons why the same kit can not be used on the pre 09 RRS and also the D3 respectivley.
The only hurdle id need to sort out is the fact that to get the factory paddles on the wheel you would need a 2010 RRS wheel and paddle set.

This is not only expencive but mayh ave other problems with the voice and phone buttons etc etc.

I could do it now if it wernt for the steering wheel change, but if some buttons were found that could be mounted in the steering plastics that looked good its possibile to retro fit the paddle shift to the older cars with ease.

Pete 

Post #254829 Wed Feb 10 2010 6:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
funnyguy1

United States 2009 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Santorini Black

In my own honest opinion I have to agree with Tornado. I do not use the manual mode that often on my 2009 but merely put it in D and go. I think If i had an Aston DB I would probably use the heck out of the paddles. Would love to hear other 2010 owners thoughts though on the paddles. Cheers! mike murphy

Post #254916 Thu Feb 11 2010 5:19am
Josh

United Kingdom 

Whilst I was in the Jag XF 3.0 waiting for my RRS to be fixed, it had the paddles. I tried them out of course but to be honest I was glad to get it back in auto for normal driving.

I used the command shift in my RRS all the time in the bad snow.......absolutely essential.

But normal driving....................auto or auto sport are good enough for me Thumbs Up TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #254963 Thu Feb 11 2010 11:45am
tornado34

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Agree entirely with Command Shift in certain situations - ie, snow, loose under tyres etc. The downshift to control speed using the engine is priceless.

Also, Auto or Sport Auto is as much control as you need (or can get with an automatic) in a sports car (with the exceptions mentioned before).

Have to say though, as those before me, it's the wrong way around in th RRS- doesn't feel natural to shift down by pulling back Confused

Post #254964 Thu Feb 11 2010 11:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1