RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > Polishing out light scratches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Rudskibaliblu

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Polishing out light scratches

Now I haven't got the new motor yet, just as well cause the misses has just put the D3 down a wooden fence post Censored Both nearside doors have been scratched but not dented lucky for her Censored I think the scratches will polish out, does anybody now of a good polish that will do the trick? Is T cut just as good as anything else out there? All this wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't came out with the remark its just a car Evil or Very Mad Any advice welcome obviously about the car not the misses, Now gone Orkney grey SDV6 HSE with body style kit contrast stitch ebony leather, privacy, black piano, 22" Lowenharts for summer, 20" with Leon LTZ for winter.
Here 110 black edition defender.

Post #254314 Mon Feb 08 2010 12:56pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Shame - was going to make a comment about the misses! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #254315 Mon Feb 08 2010 1:04pm
Rudskibaliblu

Yeah could sort of see that one coming probably end up with more advice about the misses than the car Laughing Now gone Orkney grey SDV6 HSE with body style kit contrast stitch ebony leather, privacy, black piano, 22" Lowenharts for summer, 20" with Leon LTZ for winter.

Post #254324 Mon Feb 08 2010 1:16pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

if you can feel the scratches with your finger nail then they are too deep to polish out, is the rule of thumb on scratches

it will take a lot of elbow grease to do them by hand also, you might be better looking at a polish with fillers in, such a Auto Glym Super Resin Polish, top it off with a layer of wax to give it a longer lasting finish.

If your keeping the D3, then maybe look towards a detailer with a machine polisher who might be able to take the scratches out or make them less visible

Post #254327 Mon Feb 08 2010 1:21pm
Rudskibaliblu

Cheers npinks Think it will be the misses elbow getting sore Laughing The car goes end of this month so need to sort asap dont think i'll let her in the RRS for a while if ever. I'll give the auto glym a go for starters thanks again Thumbs Up Now gone Orkney grey SDV6 HSE with body style kit contrast stitch ebony leather, privacy, black piano, 22" Lowenharts for summer, 20" with Leon LTZ for winter.

Post #254329 Mon Feb 08 2010 1:26pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Land Rover dealers call those "added character" - they are supposed to enhance your street (or off road) cred. Strange though that when it comes to time to sell it back to them they don't give you any extra money for the character you have added. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #254335 Mon Feb 08 2010 1:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tornado34

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Maybe worth calling in a mobile ding / dent company. Sometimes, you can remove the scratches, but you cannot blend in the whole panel (without a lot of elbow work).

These guys have all the stuff and experience. They shouldn't need to paint by the sounds of it.

I have seen loads of these repairs and they look prefect - £50 to £100 all in I suggest - just take it from the loved one's allowance!!! (I wait the on slaught of the female RRS owners now - I'm only playing).

Phew, the Tornado got scared Big Cry

Post #254341 Mon Feb 08 2010 2:01pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have used Chipsaway in the past, did an excellent job and the colour match was superb. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #254345 Mon Feb 08 2010 2:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Minor scratches are quite easy to remove - you are actually removing the clear coat that protects the paint so be gentle (not with the missus).

You can buy a cheap random orbital sander for about £30 and a decent polish or two might cost another £30 on top.

Try these web sites for loads of advice and options;

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/cu...ishes.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/cat_2.html

There are loads of other top sites to look at as well, but these two have polishing guides and galleries so you can see the level of correction that can be achieved - its amazing.

Could be your new Sunday morning hobby while her indoors does the gardening, cleaning, ironing etc. Laughing Laughing Laughing FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #254366 Mon Feb 08 2010 2:54pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

and don't think about sanding down a scratch without using a Paint Thickness Gauge, even with one your in dangerous territory unless you know what your doing

You could go straight through the clear coat to the paint and then need the side fully resprayed

I have various polishes, a Dual action polisher and a PTG and i wouldn't consider sanding down my car

but if you want me to have my first practice on yours with 0% Guarantees ................. Laughing

Post #254377 Mon Feb 08 2010 4:29pm
Rudskibaliblu

Quick update, the scratches have almost gon,e used a scratch removing cream called GS27 you couldn't feel any scratches with your fingernail so thought it was worth a go, it could pass for a very light branch mark Thumbs Up So once its got a couple of weeks worth of mud and salt on it the garage will never know Twisted Evil Thumbs Up Now gone Orkney grey SDV6 HSE with body style kit contrast stitch ebony leather, privacy, black piano, 22" Lowenharts for summer, 20" with Leon LTZ for winter.

Post #254617 Tue Feb 09 2010 7:26pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Nice one Thumbs Up

Post #254623 Tue Feb 09 2010 8:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1