RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS Diesel engines
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>

Tailpipe

United Kingdom 
RRS Diesel engines

I spoke to various Range Rover executives on Press Day at the Geneva Autoshow about the new V-8 diesel model. More information should become available as the backlog of existing orders is filled. What I can tell you is this:

1. It looks like the new V-8 TDI will be between 3.6 and 4.0 litres in displacement developing between 250-300 bhp with impressive torque. No official figures are available at this time. What they have said is that while performance will not be far behind that of the existing V-8 petrol engines, fuel economy should be significantly improved, with between 20 and 30 mpg achievable, depending on how hard you drive it. The new V-8 can be ordered now and will be available in October 2006, although pricing is not yet finalised. It is launched simulataneously in the RRS and Range Rover.

2. The current 2.7 litre V-6 TDI will need to be upgraded to meet US emssion requirements and a revised 3.0 litre V-6 TDI is in development for launch in 2007 for the 2008 model year. This will also offer greater fuel economy.

As both BMW and Porsche with their X5 and Cayenne SUVs respectively are not expected to offer similar engines, the Land-Rover range is likely to have stronger appeal in terms of off-road performance and on-road economy.

What is also interesting is that upon questioning LR execs about the Land_e technology, also previewed at Geneva, is that some form of hybrid Range-Rover will soon be available. A Range-Rover Sport with a diesel/ electric hybrid system that emits less pollution than a Lexus RX400h is indeed a mouth watering prospect. Given that Hybrid Lexuses are exempt from London's congestion charging, the idea of a Range-Rover Sport being similarly exempt is a wonderful thought.

Anything that p****s off Ken Livingston is good in my book.

Post #16679 Fri Mar 10 2006 11:00am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the forum tailpipe - you are our 400th member Milestone

and your 1st post.............. " a great one " CHEERS for the info

Martin 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #16682 Fri Mar 10 2006 11:07am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Anything that p****s off Ken Livingston is good in my book.

Just watch the rules change! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #16683 Fri Mar 10 2006 11:09am
Tailpipe

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

I don't think I would have considered a Range Rover Sport without all this ho ha about SUVs in London. I think people should be free to drive whatever they like. In defence of such freedom, I feel I should buy the biggest 4x4 possible to make the point. We are already a vastly over-regulated country and the day some jack of office tells me what car I can and cannot drive, is the day the lunatics have truly taken over running the asylum. As things stand, SUV owners are already taxed over and above ordinary drivers.

Of course, the other major influencing factors in favour of the Range Rover Sport were Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear drive against a Challenger 2 tank and the fact that the RRS is genuinely the best car in its class.

I am planning to get a new car to replace my BMW M3 coupe since I now have a family. I am considering the Audi RS4 Avant and the Audi S6 Avant, both are uncompromising sports cars as well as load luggers. But have you seen their respective fuel consumption figures? Aweful. And not far off from those of a RRS 4.2 Supercharged. So I thought why not sacrifice a little top end grunt for something that has loads more comfort, space and is British? I had a look at one and thought wow! then i heard about the V-8 diesel. Enough said.

Post #16743 Fri Mar 10 2006 2:40pm
uthwatt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Tonga Green

Wow Tailpipe!that last post you wrote was a masterpiece!My views exactly!How refreshing to hear from a focused,clear thinking normal intelligent human being rubbishing those critics of 4x4 owners greenpeace and the like.A TRUE BRIT!! 2006 model Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE,tonga green,alpaca leather, pti,sunroof,cooler box,dog guard,sill tread plates,load liner,load mat,seat covers

Post #16796 Fri Mar 10 2006 8:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tailpipe

United Kingdom 

Whatever new diesel engines are in the pipeline, Land Rover's range of diesel engines pollute quite a lot less than quite a few rivals' large bore sports saloons. So all this rubbish about them being environmentally unfriendly is horse manure. Moreover, Land Rover products are just about the last British car manufactured in Britain. What sort of idiot wants to kill the one British car the rest of the world loves and respects?

Quite a few people living in London own a Range Rover not to drive it in the city, but to get the hell out of it as often as work permits. Given the enormous amount of damage caused to ordinary cars' suspensions by traffic-calming road humps and pot holes, especially in Kensington, Chelsea and Westminster, you could be forgiven for buying a 4x4. You'll travel in greater comfort and you won't need to replace your car's shock absorbers ever year. Perhaps if the Councils removed some of the humps, we all might drive city cars again.

If they do try to ban 4x4s in London, I shall look forward to first case by RRS owners heard by the European Court of Human Rights.

Post #16798 Fri Mar 10 2006 9:24pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

uthwatt wrote:
Wow Tailpipe!that last post you wrote was a masterpiece!My views exactly!How refreshing to hear from a focused,clear thinking normal intelligent human being rubbishing those critics of 4x4 owners greenpeace and the like.A TRUE BRIT!!

You know, there are equally passionate non-Brits, old chap! Wink Wink Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #16802 Fri Mar 10 2006 10:50pm
uthwatt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Tonga Green

sorry bobby,i wasnt excluding you on purpose,its thanks to the rest of the world who keep buying our famous British brands like range rover,rolls royce etc,is why they are still in business. 2006 model Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE,tonga green,alpaca leather, pti,sunroof,cooler box,dog guard,sill tread plates,load liner,load mat,seat covers

Post #16807 Sat Mar 11 2006 1:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

No worries, friend. Cool Cool
Cheers! Very Happy Very Happy Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #16808 Sat Mar 11 2006 1:52am
Tailpipe

United Kingdom 

Today's Autocar confirms the arrival of a V-8 turbodiesel in the RR and RRS. According to the article it will be a 3.6 litre engine with 276 bhp and 442 ft lbs of torque. Future upgrades (cue Superchips) should be able to yield even more power. The engine is expected to make its first appearance in April at the Madrid Motorshow in a Range Rover which will also feature a new interior.

Post #21541 Wed Mar 29 2006 3:34pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

New interior for the RR... interesting. I for one will be looking into this diesel to see if it's worth migrating to from the current TDV6. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #21542 Wed Mar 29 2006 3:38pm
tony wright

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

When I first heard about the V8 I enquired with the dealer, told it will only appear in the RR this year and not the Sport Confused

If it's correct and it appears in the Sport I will change my order and wait for the V8 in Oct rather than the V6 Sep.

Is there any sure fire way to confirm it's arrival in the Sport Question

Post #21568 Wed Mar 29 2006 8:22pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Nope, I expect LR will deny all knowledge of such an engine in the RRS until launch time, even though the dealers know it is coming sometime soon. I already have an order for one with the local dealer even though they cannot tell me officially that such a car will ever be built.......... I have specced either Giverny Green again, Tangiers Orange (G4 colour) if available or White (they don't want me to buy one in white!) HSE with Dynamic Pack and Rear Difflock, with PTI/Bluetooth and sunroof. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #21569 Wed Mar 29 2006 8:29pm
Tailpipe

United Kingdom 

Tony,

The reason why they are not releasing any official information about the V-8 diesel is because of outstanding order backlog on the TDI V6. They are worried that people like you will cancel or change your order.

I have told my dealer that as soon as he can give me a confirmed delivery date and spec I'll give him a £1K deposit. His response was he'll get back to me as soon as he has the details, but says that first RRS V8 models are slated for November. HJe also said that given the likely demand, many people are ordering this model without waiting to see the spec; so if i want one this year best get my order in now.

I don't know about you, but anyone who orders a car without knowing what the final specification or price will be, either is stupid or has money to burn or both! it's a risk i won't take.

Post #21606 Thu Mar 30 2006 9:38am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

It's a fair point, but if you put down the £1k to secure yourself a place, then once you see the spec you can pull out and have your money returned if it's not to your liking. It's bad enough that you should have to pay for the privelege of ensuring a slot (especially when there's no physical car to order) but if your dealer is willing to guarantee you a place in return for your token of seriousness I think it's worth doing, myself. Smile 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #21608 Thu Mar 30 2006 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>