RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > RRS All Weather Tyre
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

funnyguy1

United States 2009 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Santorini Black

I had 20" Contis on my SC wheels as well and with the first snow was sliding all over the place. I put my 19"s on which also have Conti's except new and they were ok but like the look of the 20"s better. After researching tyres and reading reviews on this website I installed Hankook Ventus ST Rh206 on my 20"s and it rides great and also handles the ice and snow much better than the 19"s. The Bridgestone Blizak I have also heard is a great winter tyre. mike murphy

Post #249726 Thu Jan 14 2010 4:08pm
dpw200

United Kingdom 

As an update - Getting Vredesteins fitted in the morning and they'll get a test on the snow and ice filled country roads on the way into work.

I don't think the Vreds will look as aggressive as I would like but supply on the Zeons is an issue at the mo and there is only so much time you take researching this stuff when you're sliding all over without gap insurance.

Guaranteed tomorrow will be the day I stove into a sheep.

Thanks, All.

Post #249743 Thu Jan 14 2010 5:04pm
cecchini

Luxembourg 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hi,
I've had the Red monster A over year now, Had the Vredestiens fitted almost immediately after i took delivery of the car last November, had the summer tyres put back on last April, the Vredestiens were re-fitted late October.

Since moving to Luxembourg, I have got into the habit of having the most appropriate tyre fitted for the season. The Vredestiens are good, no issues at all driving in thick snow and then ice, never stuck, never lost traction, work well at high speeds. I heartily recommend them. Winter tyres not only have a different tread pattern but are also made of a different type of rubber compound that works better in colder temperatures and wear less. Summer tyres go hard in the winter and wear more. The inverse is also true. Switch tyres from summer/winter will make you safer and save you money. MY12 Black HSE SDV6
like everyone else in Luxembourg.

Post #249771 Thu Jan 14 2010 6:40pm
ARHRRS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Most of the alternative tyres have a lower speed rating than the original spec so could this cause an insurance problem
Thank you

Post #249815 Fri Jan 15 2010 12:18am
cecchini

Luxembourg 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Depends on the tyre.

The Vredestiens are rated at 240kmh (you get a little green sticker to put in your line of sight) this translates to about 150 mph..... I suppose that provided they are approved by the manufacturer it shouldn't be a problem. MY12 Black HSE SDV6
like everyone else in Luxembourg.

Post #249825 Fri Jan 15 2010 8:51am
Leo

Kenya 

ARHRRS wrote:
Most of the alternative tyres have a lower speed rating than the original spec so could this cause an insurance problem
Thank you

Speed rating is irrelevant for insurance purposes - unless it is lower than the national speed limit. Load rating is what they look for.

Post #249944 Fri Jan 15 2010 4:44pm
dpw200

United Kingdom 

Vred update - These things are good. I've already been to places I would have had to ignore before. They coped with a very steep ice/snow covered track up and down the moor that no else had tried and they also feel good on the road. As a good all rounder - Recommended.

Post #250092 Sat Jan 16 2010 1:16pm
Bob.

United Kingdom 

I'm puzzled (I know, nothing new there).

Why does every handbook from 07MY onwards recommend a winter tyre size on 19" rims of 255/55 R19 (the Disco size) rather than the RRS summer size of 255/50 R19?

If you normally run on 20"s with standard 275/40 R20 but put 19"s on for winter this would result in close to a 5% underead on the speedo (unless you paid LR to select the new size in the Car Configuration File).
Both 50 and 55 sizes seem to be listed for winter tyres so it doesn't seem to be unavailability of 50s. Maybe it's just so you can fit MTRs - or maybe its a typo. What am I missing?

(The 10MY handbook recommends 255/50 R20 for winter tyres, in lieu of 275/40 R20, which are also 5% taller.)

Are people fitting 50s or 55s on 19"s for winter?

Post #251082 Thu Jan 21 2010 9:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12