RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Problems with hesitation at speed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mywillia

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Problems with hesitation at speed

This is my first post and I would appreciate some help before I go off on a rant to my dealer.

I've got a 2010MY 3.0 TDV6 HSE with 3000k miles on the clock. I noticed a problem a few weeks ago that seems to be getting progressively worse.
When cruising at motorway speeds the engine seems to hesitate and then recover almost like a misfire. It does this constantly which makes for very jerky journeys. It is far more noticeable going downhill, doesn't matter how steep the incline, if it's not flat, the problem is more apparent. It gets worse the further beyond 70mph you go.

Being new to LR I thought when I first noticed the problem that it may be "normal" but surely not. It feels like a misfueling or injector issue to me.

Any ideas?

Post #248892 Sun Jan 10 2010 8:31pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Probably sticking EGR Valves. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #248893 Sun Jan 10 2010 8:34pm
mywillia

Very Annoyed wrote:
Probably sticking EGR Valves.

Even in a practically new TDV6?

Post #248897 Sun Jan 10 2010 8:43pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Yes - if this is the problem this seems to happen more to new vehicles than older ones. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #248899 Sun Jan 10 2010 8:49pm
Endjin

Scotland 

Yep, Sounds like EGR Valves alright.
Take it to the dealer M8 - They will hook up
diagnostics that can tell straightaway if the EGR
valves are sticking.

This is a common problem accross all manufacturers,
not just LR. These EGR valves a complete pain in the
A Censored . You can just have them blanked off
but I'm not sure if that may then make the car fail
an emissions test later in it's life - Someone more
LR Techie than me would have to answer that for sure. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #248903 Sun Jan 10 2010 9:05pm
mywillia

Thanks for the responses

I guess I'll give the dealer a call in the morning and get it booked in.

Can anyone recommend a dealers in West Yorkshire who know what they're doing. If the service is anything like the sales at my local dealership I'd be better giving them a miss.

The sales rep told me point blank that Park Heating wasn't available on RRS only available on RR!

Post #248905 Sun Jan 10 2010 9:15pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

If you mean getting the FBH working whilst rest of the car is asleep yes you can on the pre 2009MY - more than likely you still can on the 2010MY. This is however not a LR fit and is done by 3rd party techs two of which are sponsors of the forum. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #248909 Sun Jan 10 2010 9:23pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Try sponsors Rocar Moores Thumbs Up

I have always had good service from Armstrong Massey, York, And though I have never used them Try Farnells at Guisley, might be a little closure to you and I hear very reports about them too

Last edited by npinks on Sun Jan 10 2010 9:35pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #248911 Sun Jan 10 2010 9:34pm
mywillia

The brochure states:-

"Remote Park Heat, which can be operated from the remote key fob or through a timer on theTouchscreen, is available on the LR-TDV6 and LR-TDV8 engines. It works by pre-heating the engine and then channelling residual heat into the cabin. The vehicle warms up while you're getting ready to leave the house, allowing you to set off quickly and comfortably, in even the coldest conditions"

I don't have it fitted so I get a message in cold weather "Timed Heating not available"

Post #248912 Sun Jan 10 2010 9:34pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It is an optional extra on 2010 cars and you have to tick the box when you order the car. As VA stated above you can get an aftermarket systems that works with your FBH that is fitted for cold weather emissions and to speed up the cabin warm-up when the outside temperature is less than +5c. The high carbon content engineblocks used by Land Rover for their car engines makes them very thermally efficient and it takes an age for it to get warm enough to blow warm air into the cabin in cold weather, hence the FBH. Webasto makes a remote control system but it cannot be programmed into the car's systems for timed starting, it is also expensive to retrofit.. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #248940 Sun Jan 10 2010 11:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SilverspeedRRS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Sumatra Black
Re: Problems with hesitation at speed

mywillia wrote:
This is my first post and I would appreciate some help before I go off on a rant to my dealer.

I've got a 2010MY 3.0 TDV6 HSE with 3000k miles on the clock. I noticed a problem a few weeks ago that seems to be getting progressively worse.
When cruising at motorway speeds the engine seems to hesitate and then recover almost like a misfire. It does this constantly which makes for very jerky journeys. It is far more noticeable going downhill, doesn't matter how steep the incline, if it's not flat, the problem is more apparent. It gets worse the further beyond 70mph you go.

Being new to LR I thought when I first noticed the problem that it may be "normal" but surely not. It feels like a misfueling or injector issue to me.

Any ideas?

Had same problem . New throttle body fitted under warranty.

Post #249076 Mon Jan 11 2010 4:33pm
Texstar

United Kingdom 

Could also be sticking variable vanes on turbo, quite a few 3.0 MY 10's in dealers with this problem Rolling Eyes Rule 1, never buy a newly released vehicle /engine, (particularly LR's, far too many teething problems I'm afraid, and they expect us, (the customer),to do their product research and development for them.)Whistle RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Post #249198 Tue Jan 12 2010 12:40am
SilverspeedRRS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Sumatra Black

Texstar wrote:
Could also be sticking variable vanes on turbo, quite a few 3.0 MY 10's in dealers with this problem Rolling Eyes Rule 1, never buy a newly released vehicle /engine, (particularly LR's, far too many teething problems I'm afraid, and they expect us, (the customer),to do their product research and development for them.)Whistle

The engine isnt that new. Its a detuned Jaguar engine from what I understand.

Post #249481 Wed Jan 13 2010 1:30pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

IIRC The TDv6 is originally a Peugeot/Citroen, Ford design............................. adapted for Land Rover's offroading needs. It is used in the C6, numerous Peugeots as well as Jaguars and Land Rovers in various redesigns to suit the needs of each car maker 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #249522 Wed Jan 13 2010 3:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mywillia

Re: Problems with hesitation at speed

SilverspeedRRS wrote:
Had same problem . New throttle body fitted under warranty.

Just thought I'd give you all a quick update. Got the car into the dealers this morning (eventually found some time to get it looked at)

The dealer has said that it needs a new throttle body and is a known fault on the MY10.

Interestingly I spoke to the technician and he told me that they had checked the car for THREE known faults.

1. = Juddering / hesitation - fixed by replacing with a revised body
2. = Stalling at Junctions - fixed with a software update
3. = Towbar issues - fixed with a software update

He also said that there are quite a few other issues that are known to LR with the MY10 RRS

Whilst I was there i got them to fix some rust on the car. I had the spare off the other day for a puncture and noticed that the spare wheel had some rust staining on it. When I checked under the car for any signs I noticed that the cable reel for the spare wheel hanger had rust forming on the rivet heads. I must say that the girl on the service desk looked very shocked when I said the car had some rust...

Post #253255 Tue Feb 02 2010 2:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1