RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Hello and some potential owner questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

DHA

United Kingdom 
Hello and some potential owner questions

Hi am new to the forum and am considering a RRS.

I have been looking at a 4x4 for a few months partly due to the mrs wanting a horsebox and therefore needing the tow capacity, but the recent poor weather and the need for me to be in work irrespective of the conditions is pushing the purchase forward a bit. I have considered, and discounted an X5 for a variety of reasons. Thought about a Disco but I prefer the looks of the RRS.

I have a few questions which hopefully you guys would be able to help with,

- what is the real world fuel economy from the V8 TD?
- can you control an iPhone from the sat nav (iPod function mainly)?
- do track names from an iPod/iPhone show on the nav?
- is the logic 7 upgrade worth it?
- the e-diff is it useful if you are towing, using muddy fields?

Cheers

Post #248718 Sat Jan 09 2010 5:00pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Welcome to the forums - are you considering new or used TDv8?

There is a fair bit of difference between 2010MY and pre 2010 models. Not least that there is now a 3.0ltr V6 TD that has almost the same output as the V8 diesel......... but better fuel economy

Real world economy of TDv8 - 26-30mpg depending on how/where you drive, can be as low as 20mpg round town with a heavy foot.
iPod - there is a new connectivity with 2010MY cars so best let the owner of one of them answer that.
e-Diff will make a difference and it is fully automatic so it cuts in and out by itself, you have no control over it. If you are regularly towing across muddy fields then you would really want more aggressive tyres than the 90% on road use biased tyres that come as standard, once the treads on all 4 tyres clog up no amount of clever electronics will get you out again. There is now selection of All Terrain tyres available in the sizes for RRS and Disco3/4 - but not many in the 20" size that TDv8 RRS needs, you have to drop down to a 19" rim that will fit over the brake calipers.
I don't have Logic7 in mine, some say it's great others say they wouldn't pay for it again!
Don't know about the iPod because I don't connect my iphone to the audio.

Hope that helps you 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #248722 Sat Jan 09 2010 5:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DHA

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply.

Am looking at a new car rather than used so it would be the 2010 model.

Post #248735 Sat Jan 09 2010 6:30pm
Gazzer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

LR supply a lead for your iPod/iPhone to hook up with satnav screen. Trouble is, the crap lead is not compatible therefore if you need/want to recharge your device you need to spend another £35 getting a different lead. Otherthan that iPhone/iPod on my 2010MY works brilliantly.

I have the new twin turbo 3.0 Sport, haven't seen more than high 20's re:MPG. The new engine is awesome compared to 2.7. The TDV8 is unchanged for the 2010MY, it is awesome as well.

G 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #248742 Sat Jan 09 2010 6:56pm
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

I've been really impressed with the standard HSE HK audio system and ipod integration and DAB. I wouldn't bother paying extra for Logic7.

You definitely do need different tyres if your venturing off road much. I'm looking around for a set of 19" wheels and tyres. Also I would go for the e-diff. Seems crazy to me this isn't standard. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #248760 Sat Jan 09 2010 8:10pm
DHA

United Kingdom 

Gazzer wrote:
LR supply a lead for your iPod/iPhone to hook up with satnav screen. Trouble is, the crap lead is not compatible therefore if you need/want to recharge your device you need to spend another £35 getting a different lead. Otherthan that iPhone/iPod on my 2010MY works brilliantly.

Does the charging version of the lead still allow full control via nav?

Post #248791 Sun Jan 10 2010 12:10am
DHA

United Kingdom 

RichardM wrote:
I've been really impressed with the standard HSE HK audio system and ipod integration and DAB. I wouldn't bother paying extra for Logic7.

You definitely do need different tyres if your venturing off road much. I'm looking around for a set of 19" wheels and tyres. Also I would go for the e-diff. Seems crazy to me this isn't standard.

I think two sets of wheels might be the way forward, how much do a set of 19s (without tyres) cost?

Post #248792 Sun Jan 10 2010 12:10am
Tim in Scotland

you can pick up sets of 19's on the for sale section here, there is also a similar section on our sister forums, disco3.co.uk
where they also have a good tyres section. Be aware though that not all Disco3 - 4 wheels will fit on an RRS, same for Range Rover alloys.

A word of warning though - buying wheels from eBay has to be done very carefully - many are fakes/reproductions/ non genuine Land Rover wheels and are not strong enough to take the 2.6tonnes the RRS weighs! Many dealers have skips full of alloys that they have taken off clients part ex change cars or new cars where the owner doesn't want the standard wheels - have a word with your dealer but don't pay more than £450 for a set of 4 , less if they are used ones. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #248797 Sun Jan 10 2010 12:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DHA

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the info Tim Thumbs Up

Post #248798 Sun Jan 10 2010 2:16am
Gazzer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

DHA wrote:
Gazzer wrote:

Does the charging version of the lead still allow full control via nav?

Yes. 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #248823 Sun Jan 10 2010 9:32am
DHA

United Kingdom 

Cheers

Post #248860 Sun Jan 10 2010 3:19pm
dric0327

United Kingdom 
I Pod lead to charge

Hi Guys - can you let us know where you get the different lead that will charge the I phone / touch. I'll get one now before my RRS is delivered. cheers Dave 2016 MY16.5 HSE, 21" Rims, Waitamo Grey, Cirrus Leather, Extended Leather, Meridian sound

i ain't no dizzy rascal

Post #248885 Sun Jan 10 2010 7:52pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Welcome DHA you're just round the corner from me, I'm in W.Clandon. Tim has answered your questions but I would differ on the real mpg, I get abot 24mpg but it is with the 2009MY and not a new 2010MY. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #248889 Sun Jan 10 2010 8:19pm
DHA

United Kingdom 

Thanks VA, I am in Chilworth so not far at all! Get 29ish from my golf gti so not a massive drop in mpg

Post #248930 Sun Jan 10 2010 10:39pm
Tim in Scotland

VA, nobody would believe me if I told you all what my "reallife" motorway consumption is but have recently seen better than 33mpg at a steady 70 on the 450 miles run south just before Christmas, sat all day on the cruise and observing the speed limits all the way. Might be boring but my wallet feels better for it! Drive the car sympathetically and it can be quite economical on long steady speed trips. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #248939 Sun Jan 10 2010 11:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>