RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Heated front and rear screens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

aled_31

United Kingdom 
Heated front and rear screens

How long should it take for the heated front and rear screens to de-ice the windows. Switched them both on this morning with engine running and after 10 minutes no difference at all, still thick with frost. Confused Confused

Any advice greatly appreciated before I ring local dealer and get it booked in!! 57 plate TDV8, Java Black, Factory Tints, Sidesteps,

Post #247694 Mon Jan 04 2010 2:29pm
Gazzer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I would say within 5 mins should be frost free. My heated screens defrosted 2 inch of snow. 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #247697 Mon Jan 04 2010 2:32pm
aled_31

United Kingdom 

Thanks Gazzer, as I expected thay can't be working!! Not used to "niggles" like this after years of audi ownership!! 57 plate TDV8, Java Black, Factory Tints, Sidesteps,

Post #247698 Mon Jan 04 2010 2:35pm
dago

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Re: Heated front and rear screens

[quote="aled_31"]How long should it take for the heated front and rear screens to de-ice the windows. Switched them both on this morning with engine running and after 10 minutes no difference at all, still thick with frost. Confused Confused

Any advice greatly appreciated before I ring local dealer and get it booked in!![/quote] i agree with gazzer 5 mins tops to clear screen

Post #247699 Mon Jan 04 2010 2:49pm
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver
Re: Heated front and rear screens

aled_31 wrote:
How long should it take for the heated front and rear screens to de-ice the windows. Switched them both on this morning with engine running and after 10 minutes no difference at all, still thick with frost. Confused Confused

Any advice greatly appreciated before I ring local dealer and get it booked in!!
Blimey, I thought it took a while with them compared to the wifes ST, mind you my SC seems to take about 7-8mins Shocked

Never really noticed, sorry Embarassed Did you get the V5 through? GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #247703 Mon Jan 04 2010 3:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
aled_31

United Kingdom 

No probs wokka!! wouldn't have realised myself that they weren't working until I had to use them this morning.

No sign of the V5 yet either, that said, I bet the DVLA get 3 weeks off for christmas, just like the rest of us Laughing Laughing I Wish!! 57 plate TDV8, Java Black, Factory Tints, Sidesteps,

Post #247738 Mon Jan 04 2010 6:44pm
Red1903

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black

Anything below -10*C and the heaters are noticeably slower in shifting ice from the front and back. Just below freezing temperature they work very quickly Thumbs Up

Had a minus 15 not long ago and I had to resort to de-icer Censored

Post #247774 Mon Jan 04 2010 11:16pm
shuzzy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

My front screen take a good 10 minutes plus. it does work as the ice shifts eventually, but it's not consistent. I am usually left with a few srtipes of ice on the drivers side of the screen where as the passenger clears fully. Not very efficient and it's quicker just to scrape it, which somehow kind of defeats it being there.

Post #247780 Tue Jan 05 2010 5:26am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Sounds like you have breaks in the elements - any stone chips around the area that doesn't clear?

I have a 58 plate and noticed yesterday i have a line out in the rear screen Confused

Post #247787 Tue Jan 05 2010 9:59am
JonnyDangerous

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

mine clears in 2-3 mins tops, even with thick ice.

Post #247792 Tue Jan 05 2010 10:30am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have 2 small new stone chips Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad and a repaired one on my front screen and have found like Red says, cool mornings (0 to -5!) 3-4 minutes to clear and when it is cold (when have had down to -11 here) and it takes about 10 minutes before it srats to show signs of life. What I have found is that as soon as the "prog" setting on the blowers starts to clear the bottom of screen the elements start to work and it clears in no time at all and I have steam coming off the outside of the glass Shocked Generally by the time I start to feel the warmth of the bum heater coming through the seat the screen is clear! It then takes another 10 minutes to start feeling warm air coming out of the vents. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #247801 Tue Jan 05 2010 11:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I sometimes have the same problem where it appears that the front & rear screens aren't working.

I had wondered whether there was something that sensed the battery voltage/level of charge and if it's deemed too low then it does not allow the heavy current draw from these circuits. The colder the morning the bigger the effect on the battery's ability to provide power and thus the heated screens appear to take longer.

Post #247917 Tue Jan 05 2010 11:34pm
zoo

United Kingdom 

sorry - on a bit of a roll now - been looking at the new posts and all seem to be relevent to me.

My rear screen never worked. Only noticed it last month and whilst in for a check on "another" matter - I mentioned it.
Common problem on the SC. Loose connection, outside of the self DIY.

If it's in warranty - get it in.

Clears in two minutes now.

Post #247918 Tue Jan 05 2010 11:41pm
exalld

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mine has been taking 5-10 minutes the last few days as the temperature if falling very low and the ice thick on the screen. I thought it was not working yesterday but you can always tell on the front screen if its working because you'll have a line in the middle of the front screen that does not clear until last because there is a gap in the elements in the middle. 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8, Stornoway Grey

Post #247919 Tue Jan 05 2010 11:49pm
JonnyDangerous

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Are you waiting for the ice to disappear to determine its working? I find that the heated windscreen quickly breaks the bond with the ice that's against the windscreen. The outer side may still be frozen but as the inner side is warmed a quick wipe of the wipers clears the ice. So... just do a quick check with your finger and feel if the ice is moving even if it hasn't cleared. As soon as it has softened use the wiper.

Post #247926 Wed Jan 06 2010 8:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1