RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Haldex Coupllings/AWD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey
Haldex Coupllings/AWD

Just a question about the Haldex couplings used by Land Rover. My old XC90 had the Haldex coupling but it wasn't full time 4wd but sent the power on to the rears if it felt the front wheels slipping. As I still possess a C30 Volvo I look in on the Volvo forums from time to time and there's a rapidly rising amount of members there finding out that when they need it, the AWD doesn't work. General consensus is that the angle gear splines strip out and the repair bills seem to vary from hundreds into the thousands to fix it. I was told the the RRS uses the same coupling for its 4x4 as the Volvo by a member over there but cant see it if its permanent in the Sport as opposed to "on demand"! Any of the longer term Sport owners ever had this problem?? Again I was told by a "learned" member on VOC that this is common on the Sport too. As an add on to this, my other half has a "W" plate Audi tt Quattro and the other night I noticed the front wheels spinning in the snow outside the house while the offside rear,(the only wheel I could see) remained stationary. Seemingly Audi use the same 4 wheel drive coupling too. Anyone with a bit of Audi knowledge know if the fronts should spin while the rears dont?? Or could this mean that quattro is now a front wheel drive like a lot of the Volvos are becomming?

Any help/pointers would be appreciated?

Cheers

4WD Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #247456 Sat Jan 02 2010 2:45pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I know how it works but how to put it in words briefly is not easy! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #247460 Sat Jan 02 2010 3:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
4wheeldriver

I know how it works. Its the incidence of them failing in the Sport as I've never found a thread on it!

On the XC90 especially it seems to be an almost daily occurence of new ones appearing! Not high mileage/older models either! Some are as low as 40-50000 miles!

Some are having to replace not only the spline shaft but the entire angle gear! One guy was told the whole auto gearbox needed changed at a cost of around 5k!

If its just the new redesign shaft its 85 quid for the part! Mind you with a redesigned shaft Volvo still have "never heard of the problem"!

Just being told that the failure is as common on LR models using Haldex yet I've not found anything is a bit of a niggling worry! Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Post #247466 Sat Jan 02 2010 3:31pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It is not a common problem on Land Rovers since the Freelander1 when LR learned a lot about the coupling and did some huge rethinking about them ( I suppose they never bothered to share the info with Volvo Mr. Green )
First thing LR found was that despite the Haldex Clutch being "sealed for life" the fluid needs to be changed every 3 years irrespective of miles as it degrades and looses it's viscous properties. The main failures were because on the first Freeelanders (R and S plate) they got the gearing wrong in the IRD which damaged the VC and also gave extremely rapid and very uneven tyre wear on the rear tyres ( a lady friend of mine went through a set of tyres every 2000 miles but LR acknowledged that problem and replaced them every time for free until they had sussed out the problem). I suspect that many of the Volvos and Audi which have an apparrent lack of 4WD need to have the fluid in the coupling changed. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #247467 Sat Jan 02 2010 3:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
4wheeldriver

Funny you mentioning tyre wear! That's another HUGE bugbear with the XCs! Killing the shoulders in as little as 5000 miles and Debs barely got a year out of 4 tyres too! At least I can feel secure knowing I'm not likely to have a 2wd Sport sometime in the future! Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

Post #247469 Sat Jan 02 2010 4:12pm
Leo

Kenya 

Don't think the RRS uses a similar system.....

Post #247497 Sat Jan 02 2010 7:15pm
4wheeldriver

Land Rover is listed on Haldex website as a user of the hydraulic AWD systems along with VW, Skoda(wtf), Audi etc. Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

Post #247498 Sat Jan 02 2010 7:20pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

Haldex is only used on the freelander 2 - it is set to 50/50 4wd when pulling off then varies the percentage of 4wd from front to rear as required.

No other Land Rover has or curently uses it.

Post #247500 Sat Jan 02 2010 7:24pm
4wheeldriver

Cheers Doc. They don't list models on the Haldex website. Just the manufacturers that use them! Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

Post #247505 Sat Jan 02 2010 7:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1