Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > SNOW CHAINS???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

kam100

United Kingdom 
SNOW CHAINS???

Are these allowed in the uk?
After sideways action in the S Class today, i've been looking on good old ebay and they are only about £30.00..

Considering these for the back wheels only..
Anyone use them aready?

Post #246543 Thu Dec 24 2009 12:57am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Chop the S Class in for a FFRR for the winter and save on buying chains Kam!

Seriously, this was discussed on Radio4 yesterday and nobody seemed to know the legality in the UK. What was pointed out was the damage to tyres/wheels and the road surface that proper chains can do when running on roads that don't have deep enough snow/slush/ice on them. Have you thought about fitting Snow and Ice tyres for the winter? They are easy to get in the UK and you can run them until the temperature starts to creep up above 10C when they strat to get a bit soft and sticky. I have a set of Pirelli Zero 19" Snow and Ice tyres for the RRS but after running north from The New Forest on Tuesday and crossing into Scotland at the time of the major snow falls on the M74, I'm not sure I really need them, the RRS performed so well on TR and it's standard issue tyres that they may be surplus to requirements! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #246573 Thu Dec 24 2009 10:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kaine

United Kingdom 

i believe they are allowed on full snow covered roads, however illegal to use otherwise - this makes them pretty much useless

Post #246584 Thu Dec 24 2009 10:30am
Leo

Kenya 

Thumbs Up
http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/weisssock.htm

Post #246604 Thu Dec 24 2009 11:29am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

i think you would be better getting a set of snow grade winter tyres

Post #246609 Thu Dec 24 2009 11:40am
kam100

United Kingdom 

Hmm.. thanks guys.
I think snow chains in the uk where the snow can get very bad very quick, but then only last for around 6 hours on main roads, would mean chains are not required, and would probably end up damagind the tyres.
I think for our use, where we drive the S Class and Viano's around 25k per annum each and the snow this year alone has affected us for around 4 weeks total, something has to be done before one of the cars is involved in a major smash! very nearly did myself last night, as the car was just sliding to the left and the road was completely unpassable.

These snow terrain socks seem quite good.. quick and easy and disposable and probably won't kill the tyres like snow chains will.

Found these on ebay too.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fix-Go-Tex-Anti-Skid...35a567ff6c

Definitely worth considering i think.. hmm.. will get a pair for the rear of the S Class and Viano and see how we get on.. i am in at work in the wife's A3 and took the A8 Quattro back out last night, and they are absolutely fine.. just the Bm's and Merc's which are useless in this weather.

Would love to swap one for a FFRR, but local licensing won't like that!!

Post #246630 Thu Dec 24 2009 1:14pm
Leo

Kenya 

Worth a try - but you might need them on the front as well. Ask them.

Post #246638 Thu Dec 24 2009 1:54pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Time to chop in the S-class for some of more A8 quattros then Kam! What has your licensing dept got against using locally produced FFRR's for chauffeur drive services? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #246648 Thu Dec 24 2009 3:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

All 4x4's are off the menu i am afraid.. Would get a whole load of Audi Quattro's, apart from the fact that we have one at 53k miles currently, and it sounds 15 years old, and bits are falling off it! S class is 6 months newer, has 78k miles and drives like new! so just need a fix for the 5 days of snow per annum that we do have without drastic fleet changing moves!

Have the same issue with the Viano's, and unfortunately there isn't a 4x4 equivalent 6 conference seater, so snow socks, tyres, or chains are going to have to be invested in..

Post #246827 Sun Dec 27 2009 2:11am
Josh

United Kingdom 

Kam,

Why don't you get a set of Autosocks for each vehicle.

Fits to the driving wheels of cars and lorries, will not cause any damage to your vehicle as they are fabric, stuff them in the spare wheel or in the boot as they take up very little space and they are a lot cheaper than chains. Stops the snow stcking to the rubber and maintains traction on ice and snow. Drive at speeds up to 30mph and can cope with short spells of driving on tarmac without any issues. Fit/remove in seconds.

The same principle would work if you went walking in a pair of leather soled shoes...take your socks off your tootsies and put them over the shoes and hey presto you won't fall on your A Censored

Shame they don't do them for the RRS.

www.roofbox.co.uk sell them.

They also sell snow chains for your shoes and they work Exclamation TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #246890 Mon Dec 28 2009 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1