RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Events > Midwinter madness meet in Scotland?
(5)  
User Registered Confirmed
4wheeldriverSat Dec 05 2009 6:03pm
x5peaSat Dec 05 2009 7:03pm
ASH555Sat Dec 05 2009 7:55pm
Tim in ScotlandSat Dec 05 2009 9:49pm
GraemereeperWed Jan 13 2010 1:48pm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Tim in Scotland wrote:
There were a tremendous number of words beginning with F,C and B that I had to shield my ears from..........

A sailor thats never heard those words before............................... Whistle Laughing Laughing Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #247064 Tue Dec 29 2009 5:14pm
Graemereeper

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Any more information on date, venue etc? I might be interested as my annual trip to the mushing in aviemore is off. Big Cry

Post #249487 Wed Jan 13 2010 1:48pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Send Tim a pm and you'll get the details from him. He sent me a pm with the initial outline of it yesterday for next Wed. Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #249493 Wed Jan 13 2010 1:55pm
Graemereeper

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Ok cheers Thumbs Up

Post #249499 Wed Jan 13 2010 2:12pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

ASH555, Mrs ASsh555 and MrsASH555-in-law and I met for an RRSport.co.uk Micro meet today at Dunkeld today.
Weather was awful - soft hail, snow, rain, low cloud and minus temperatures at Dunkeld gave way to more of the same by the first coffee stop at House of Bruar. Then we drove on north along the A9 and the carriageways got whiter and narrower and the traffic thinned out. The snow gates for the Drummochter Pass were opened so we continued on to Dalwhinnie where the soft hail gave way to fine snow and the scenery became distinctly Alpine with snow drifts on the road side a couple of feet deep. At Dalwhinnie we turned off the A9 and into Arctic conditions but the roads where clear and well salted, so on to Laggan and onto the single track road leading to River Spey Loch Sherramore.
I was surprised not to see huge herds of Red Deer on the roadside as I have seen in the past, just a few roaming sheep, a couple of pack horses out in a field and a herd of cows! Loch Sherramore which a Reservoir on the River Spey was completely frozen. Onwards toward the Corrieyarrick Pass along very dirty roads which had at least been salted and cleared as far as the Garve Bridge over the Spey. This is normally the end of the road and we stopped in the car park for a few minutes to admire the view along the next section of the track................. which looked like this:

Click image to enlarge

Perfect for GGS and offroad height so over the bridge, through the closed gate and onto the first 200m of the tarred track................................... not nice, even in an RRS with all the toys. Hard frozen snow a couple of feet deep was lining each side of the track and along the centre where a tractor and several cars ap[peared to have been along the route. Then the TC started clattering as we drove along the ice covered ruts, grating noises from underneath as the car dragged it's belly in the hard snow underneath.............. so we dcied that it wasn't wise to continue. BUT where to turn around, as it is prohibited to drive off the metalled road and on the verges of this historic military road built in 1715!. Ash backed up about 100m to a very hard frozen bit of ground and executed a 3 point turn without venturing too far onto the verges Embarassed I turned round where I had stopped and we headed back to the Garve bridge.
The River Spey was surprisingly low considering the rain and snow that has fallen in these parts and there were huge iceflows marooned on the rocks in midstream - I reckon some of them were bigger than 3m square as in this picture taken from the crest of the bridge
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The old and the new parked side by side at Garve Bridge
Click image to enlarge

It's out of focus and at maximum zoom but here are the few Red Deer we saw (on the right, between the trees and the snow line for those who need stronger glasses!)

Location is on this link to a map, if you zoom in you will get an Ordnance Survey map of the area.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=25123...;ay=794725
My grand plan was to drive to Melgrave where there is a cottage built by General Wade in 1710 when the road was constucted how ever it would have been stupid to have gone any further than we went.
This is the cottage in the summer!

and the track beyond the cottage is reduced to this
Click image to enlarge

After a couple of miles (the trail is 16 miles long!) it becomes kinder

On the road from Laggan to Garva Bridge it is possible to ford the River Spey. Ash and I braved very slippery conditions to walk down the lane to the ford to take a look - the Spey was well frozen but the river level was low and it was clear that the farmer had take veicles across it in the last few days - this is waht it looks like on a warm summer day!

and it was no deeper than this as well

Click image to enlarge

In the summer it looks like this

So we conceded defeat and turned back to Laggan/ Dalwhinnie and Bruar, where we graced the House of Bruar for a 2nd time in the day for a very nice lunch and Haggis tasting session!

Ash & co I am sorry that the weather was so awful, but you probably got the roads at their quietest so the onroad driving was great. It was good to meet you and Claire and her Mum, and I hope that you have a great day out at LRE Dunkeld tomorrow 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #250824 Wed Jan 20 2010 8:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ASH555

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

A huge thanks to Tim In Scotland for being our guide to the Scotish Highlands! Our day out has been mostly covered by Tims report, just to add i survived my first Haggis, and it won't be my last Thumbs Up

I have a few photos from the day which i will post when i return back to East Yorkshire

I will also give a full report with photos of our interesting day at the LRE Dunkeld Thumbs Up

Again thanks Tim

Ashley, Claire, Daphne & the Dogs MY10 3.0 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, 20" Diamond Turned Alloys, Factory Privacy Glass, Premium Leather, Contrast Stiching, Side Steps, Etc

Gone 2006 '56' 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, 20", Side Steps, Brembos, Dynamic Pack, Etc

VW Transporter, 19" Rims, T32 170 BHP, Lowered

Post #251045 Thu Jan 21 2010 7:34pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Ash, you will have to return and see what the west side has to offer! - Drummochter and where we went has nothing on Glencoe and the road to Loch Etive! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #251056 Thu Jan 21 2010 8:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ASH555

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Photos as promised Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

[/img] MY10 3.0 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, 20" Diamond Turned Alloys, Factory Privacy Glass, Premium Leather, Contrast Stiching, Side Steps, Etc

Gone 2006 '56' 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, 20", Side Steps, Brembos, Dynamic Pack, Etc

VW Transporter, 19" Rims, T32 170 BHP, Lowered

Post #252664 Fri Jan 29 2010 11:17pm
purple people eater

United Kingdom 

great photos, wish i was there purple people eater

There are no good days, just some days that are not as bad as others!

Gone RR 4.0 P38 Autobiography MY99 Red ( Evil or Very Mad money pit)
Gone Big Cry RRS MY06 2.7TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Gone RRS MY10 3.0TDV6 HSE Bali Blue with lots of bits (never grew to love it)
Here Now - 3.6 TDV8 FFRR OVERFINCH Stornoway Grey - loving it x
My work car Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDci Zetec auto Estate in Silver

Post #252665 Fri Jan 29 2010 11:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12