RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Too Many Beeps !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

PaulB

England 
Too Many Beeps !

Does anyone else find all the beeping in the RRS rather disconcerting ?
I often find that I haven't a clue what the beep was for. It would be useful if the display gave some indication of what the warning was. I know it beeps when the temperature drops to 4 degrees C or below, but there are others that I don't know what they went off for Confused
I also find that the parking sensors go off in traffic when no one appears to be that close. I understood that the rear sensors only came on when it was in reverse, but I seem to get warnings nontheless.
My wife finds at so disconcerting that she doesn't drive it........which is perhaps no bad thing Wink

Post #14997 Tue Feb 28 2006 1:49pm
ST

I too find the random beeping somewhat annoying, although after 6 months of ownership my brain has zoned them out now. In my experience it is either the PDC or the temp droping.......

I find that a loud stereo usualy cures the probelm Very Happy Currently: Carbon Black 535d
RIP: RRSTDV6 HSE & DISCO3 HSE

Post #14998 Tue Feb 28 2006 1:56pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

There's a beep for every warning or information event. Aside from the annoyance of the front/rear PDC going mental at random intervals for no apparent reason, you should find that with most beeps you get a little "i" pops up on the message centre. If you then use the "i" button to scroll through the displays, you should see what the last message was. I have one at the moment because my washer fluid is low... 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #14999 Tue Feb 28 2006 2:01pm
ST

Never noticed the 'i' popping up - will look out for it at the next beep......

6 months of ownership doesn't qualify you for anything!!!!

The only 'i's I noticed popping out recently were mine the last time we drove past Cheltenham Ladies college - that was however swiftly followed by a sharp slap to the back of the head from my passenger who has extra sensory perception.........I thought i wasn't even moving my head......SHE COULDN'T SEE MY EYES.....HOW DID SHE KNOW??? Shocked Shocked Currently: Carbon Black 535d

Post #15006 Tue Feb 28 2006 3:22pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Can't say if you get the i on your D3, but if def appears on the RRS. Assume it would be the same. You don't get an i for everything though - i.e. the 4deg beep doesn't produce an i but you get a little flashing snowflake next to the temp. Very wintery!

You should know by now that you can't try and outsmart women. They have too many inbuilt devices for showing us up at the wrong moment. Mustn't ever mention about Tess Daly's dresses or birds from Special K adverts. It's against the law, apparently Rolling Eyes 

Post #15007 Tue Feb 28 2006 3:30pm
PaulB

England 

Came across this this morning www.sexydesktop.co.uk Shocked

Post #15008 Tue Feb 28 2006 3:42pm
stuart2u

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Giverney Green

Speaking of Beeps.........I have set the 'overspeed' warning thingy as I have done on previous vehicles and expected it to warn me when I reached the predetermined speed. It does in 2 ways; a note in the 'i' panel, which is a fat lot of good when travelling at 80....and a 'Beep' which I can only tune into with all music off, the wife muffled and no road noise.....in other words impossible to hear. Do you know how to increase the volume of the 'Beep' please.

I know most of you will be saying, "don't need it", "don't see the point at 120 mph", "Whimp!" etc etc. But if it's fitted and I find them useful, it should warn me in a less than whimpish way.

Stuart2u TDV6, HSE, Giverney Green/Ivory, Tints, Sidesteps, Sunroof, Towbar and Cycle Carrier, Tasmods Sills, Bluetooth and big smile!

Post #15010 Tue Feb 28 2006 3:49pm
vip-culture.com

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

my disappointment is the lack of visual aid for the PDC...it just beeps and the thing is all the beeps sounds the same...well the front sounds different than the rears but there's just too many. www.vip-culture.com | 06 RRS HSE | 06 Odyssey Touring

Post #15048 Wed Mar 01 2006 8:45am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I don't think its possible to increase the volume of the beeps Stuart2u.

No one has mentioned the dual tones bongs and beeps it makes if the car is locked in access height and you drive away letting it sort out itself!

YOu do get used to them and when they normally occur, the low temp one always seems to happen when I get to the bottom of our road, unless its SUPER cold and it comes on as I reverse out of the garage. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #15054 Wed Mar 01 2006 10:20am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

vip-culture.com wrote:
my disappointment is the lack of visual aid for the PDC...it just beeps and the thing is all the beeps sounds the same...well the front sounds different than the rears but there's just too many.

Yes, I've fallen foul of this. It's for this very reason I dinked my rear bumper after 2 days of ownership. Much preferred the BMW system where you get a picture of the car and highlighted regions where you're in danger of collision.... 

Post #15066 Wed Mar 01 2006 11:01am
kam100

United Kingdom 

I have had my RRS since the end of august, so just over 6 months now.
I have also honed my brain to not respond to these little beeps,
they are annoying as hell when you first get the car, but you get used to them after a while. I think PDC is ok, does the job, but agree that the Bmw PDC visual aid in the 5/7 series is much better, guess a reverse parking camera would be even better still.

My 'i' always comes up, if its not coolant level low indicator (which has been checked and is not true) it is low washer fluid or something..

When the car lost power on sunday, i was doing a steady speed in the right hand lane on cruise, it bonged, said 'special programmes off' even when i didn't have anything selected apart from the normal stuff. Then it dropped off cruise (and did the usual jerk when it does that) and the car rolled to a stop. Good thing the motorway was clear, so i didn't make a complete prat of myself. Rebooted it, and its been fine since, popped into the LR service on monday on my way to the office, and they said i would have to book it in, but if its been fine since, probably nothing to worry about.

May book it in, its been behaving itself since then, and didn't do it throughout the whole newbie 4x4 day, and en route home, so guess its fine now.

Post #15097 Wed Mar 01 2006 2:18pm
Robbi

Guernsey 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

Think I read somewhere that the PDC can be set off by stray signals of certain frequencies....or could be total b*llocks. I get the odd bleep for no apparent reason.

I would love to find a way to switch off the 'Key in Igntion' bleeps!!

As for the overspeed warning. It does flash up 'Caution driver overspeed' warning quickly but then you are concerntrating on the road ahead! Rob
*Gone - HSE TDV8 Rimini Red + Tasmod sill plates

Post #15181 Wed Mar 01 2006 10:51pm
grommet

United States 

The PDC sensors are ultrasonic and may be impacted by stray noise/frequencies, especially from large trucks or loud motorcycles. It's not perfect. If it really bugs you, tap it off while driving and turn it back on when you need it.

Post #15186 Thu Mar 02 2006 12:11am
stwsam

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue
pdcing in the rain

notice it often gets stuck on at a stop when a good rain is falling. Assume water droplets are hovering on the sensor. Also, yes, any time large rigs pull up next to me at a stop, the pdc lets me know the reason the sun just went away is because I am next to a tractor rig. maybe the car is just nervous!!

Post #15293 Thu Mar 02 2006 3:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ST

I do like the 'fix' for the seat belt warning bong.......

Not that I drive with my seat belt undone, I just don't like being told what to do by the car Laughing Currently: Carbon Black 535d

Post #15382 Thu Mar 02 2006 9:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>