RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Spare wheel size
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Cedric

United Kingdom 
Spare wheel size

I am confused by the conflicting information I have seen.

Could someone who has already taken delivery of a TDV6, SE with 18 " wheels ideally, please tell me what spare wheel they have.

In the first glossy brochure it clearly states that the spare wheel up to 19" will be a full size alloy, for larger wheels the spare will only be 19" - presumably that is the maximum the carrier will take.

In the June 2005 price brochure it says that all spares are 19" steel space savers and one of the options, for £150, is a full size spare (up to 19" again).

As any puncture is likely to occur just when you are about to go on holiday or other long journey I much prefer a full size spare, and I don't know what tyres the RRS comes with but a matching replacement could be hard to find at short notice.

I remember being in a tyre fitters not long ago when a proud BMW driver who had one of the very first new 6 series coupes came in. The 6 series comes with run flat tyres and no spare and he had damaged one tyre badly. The tyre fitters confirmed what he had just been told by the local BMW garage, special tyres, none in the country and it will take a few weeks to get one. You could probably hear his thoughts on the subject in Scotland!

I would rather that did not happen, leaving mestuck with only a space saver!

Post #464 Thu Jun 23 2005 9:16am
Cedric

United Kingdom 

Surely someone must have some idea what size spare wheel they have.

It would be a great help to know so that I can try and add it to my order if necessary.

Thanks

Post #500 Fri Jun 24 2005 12:57pm
Biggles

England 

Cedric,

Follow this link.

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/Ra...ptions.htm

If I have read it correctly then full size alloys are the order of the day. The steel being the option. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #501 Fri Jun 24 2005 1:12pm
Cedric

United Kingdom 

Thanks Biggles it does seem to clearly state the space saver is an option, odd the price brochure gives a price the other way round!

Post #502 Fri Jun 24 2005 1:19pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've been away for a couple of days Cedric...................... no excuse I know!
Just looked underneath mine and I have 5 alloys all 18", full size, no steel spare, no space savers etc.
Also looking in the manual it does mention temporary spares that are spacesavers - probably for non UK market cars

Post #503 Fri Jun 24 2005 1:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cedric

United Kingdom 

Thanks Tim you have put my mind at rest.

Post #504 Fri Jun 24 2005 1:30pm
Tim in Scotland

Well let me add confusion ............. don't forget that I have Disco3 alloys on my car and not standard Sport wheels, so you may get a full size steel wheel as the spare........................... Shocked Rolling Eyes

Post #505 Fri Jun 24 2005 1:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Toodeep

United Kingdom 

The way I read it is that the spare on models with 19" wheels is 19" and Alloy and Temporary which seems to imply that it is not the same as the road wheels. I agree that the initial taster brochure gave the impression that only if your car came with 20" wheels (ie 4,2 SC) would you be saddled with a "space saver". I have an HSE which I am assuming has some kind of temporary spare but I haven't been bothered to have a look. Range Rover Sport TdV6HSE in Bonatti Grey + 20" Stormer wheels (ex X5 and ML driver)

Post #892 Sat Jul 09 2005 10:53pm
Tim in Scotland

Toodeep, go to the rear and look down, you don't need to get on your hands and knees as the spare wheel is exposed for everybody to see and IMHO it does not do anything for the rear view of the car. At least you can easily see if it has been stolen!................
If the spare is silvery it is an alloy and probably full size, if it is black then it is more than likely a steel space saver.

Post #899 Sun Jul 10 2005 10:53am
poffer

United Kingdom 

I have a steel spare. It looks like a spacesaver, as it is narrower than the road wheels (18" alloys). Only advantage I can see is that it doesn't show from the rear, as it is too narrow to hang below the bumper (oh, and it save LandRover some money Rolling Eyes

Peter
p.s. It is on a TDv6 "S"

Post #902 Sun Jul 10 2005 11:56am
Tim in Scotland

Interesting Pete, I have 5 alloys all full size! I had a practice session taking a wheel off and taking out the spare the other day............... if I have o deal with a puncture on the roadside I will be calling Land Rover Assist out to do it as it looks like it could be a dirty job!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Tue Jul 12 2005 4:11am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #903 Sun Jul 10 2005 2:09pm
Cedric

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I have a steel spare. It looks like a spacesaver, as it is narrower than the road wheels (18" alloys). Only advantage I can see is that it doesn't show from the rear, as it is too narrow to hang below the bumper (oh, and it save LandRover some money

Sad news, and by the time mine comes LR are even more likely to be saving money.

I also had a flick through the online RRS Owners handbook for 2006 model year and found that it did not show how to electrically fold the mirrors, and the picture had a different diagram to those I have seen on the demo cars.

I use this facility every day on my present car while it's parked in the cramped station carpark.

A look through the online handbook for the 2005 model year did show how to do this and the picture showed a diagram of the knob as seen on the demo cars.

I hope this is not being deleted as well.

Post #910 Mon Jul 11 2005 7:33am
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
spare wheel

cedric,today i got on my knees and had a look, i have a full sized trye, but on a steel wheel. on se spec

Post #923 Mon Jul 11 2005 7:08pm
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
spare tyre

Cedric,
gave incorrect info on last message. Spare on SE is a spacesaver /steel
no room to fit full size without hanging down to far.

Post #924 Mon Jul 11 2005 8:02pm
grommet

United States 
Re: spare tyre

scorpio, next time just "fix" your message with the little "edit" button.

Post #929 Mon Jul 11 2005 11:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>