Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Window Tinting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Window Tinting

Hello

Has anyone ordered the LR privicy glass option ? if so have you had the front windows done and if so what percentage tint did you have.

My car is coming with the factory tint but i am not sure whether to get the front windows done, I had the whole car on my discovery 3 done in film but i know from past experience with an X5 it is difficult to just film the front windows as the front ones still have that green tint to them un like the factory tints that dont have the green tint, they are just black. and when you see the car in the right sun light it shows up

Many Thanks Neil 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #467 Thu Jun 23 2005 7:35pm
Tim

Netherlands 

Isn't it forbidden to have the front windows tinted? Over here it is...
I wouldn't do it... 
Owns 2002 Range Rover
Wants a 2006 Range Rover TDv8
or
2006 Range Rover Sport TDv6

Post #468 Thu Jun 23 2005 8:21pm
Biggles

England 

Hi NeilR,

I have specced tints on the rear of my RRS. I will not be tinting the fronts at the moment the law are too busy round here doing all the cars with tints on the front windows. My current car has the fronts done and when fitted I was told they met the legal requirement.
I often find that at night when reversing it takes a lot more concentration and it makes it easier with the windows down (not very good when raining). I think with the door mirrors being tinted and the windows as well it is to much.
( or it could be my eyesight Smile ) Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #469 Thu Jun 23 2005 8:25pm
Baron

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

How did you post a j,peg Tim?? I cant see an upload button Smile

Post #474 Thu Jun 23 2005 9:46pm
Biggles

England 

Baron,
Follow this link.
Hope it helps,

http://rrsport.theseusnorth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32 Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #476 Thu Jun 23 2005 10:17pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

or this link to upload from your pc to the Gallery:-

http://rrsport.theseusnorth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30

Good luck & get those photos posted Wink 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #478 Thu Jun 23 2005 10:23pm
Baron

[img][/img]

Umm that did not work then Smile) I am trying to post an article on a new tdv8 deisel motor but as you can see have not got to grips with your upload style YET Smile

Post #481 Thu Jun 23 2005 10:37pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I can confirm that tinted the front side windows in the UK contravenes the type approval regs and any LR dealer who does it will get a lot of hassle from LR and Plod................ however if you drive out of the showroom and down to your nice Pentagon tinting centre they will ask no questions and only require you to sign a disclaimer that you know the consequences of what you are doing and won't hold them liable. When L322 RR's first came some of them came out of the factory with front tints and the owners were give a lot of hassle by Plod, so LR discontinued it and advised dealers that they were on a sticky wicket if they too did it...............
All UK police forces are now equipped with a special machine for checking the light transmission against ambient light on tinted windows. Front side windows must allow more than 75% of the ambiente light through them to comply with the law - that means only the very very minimal of tinting. If you are found to have more tinting than that then the police are entitled to impound your car until you arrange to have the glasses replaced or the tinting film removed. They will not permit you to take the car to a tinting company to have it done, unless they oversee it. The police in this area have been having a purge on the MaxPower lads lately and the young lads are mortified to find that their "cool" drug baron extras break the construction regs and they loose the use of the car until they have proved to the police that they have replaced the glasses or removed the film. 2 lads have had their cars confiscated for refitting the tints after they had been caught and made to remove it. These guys were extreme though, black side glass, not just tinted!

Now has anybody had this Paintshield treatment done to any cars before? They haven't yet done a kit for the Sport so couldn't quote me but I and interested
They have an ad in this weeks autocar and the website is at www.paintshield.co.uk but it got hacked into so there are no dealer details.
I emailed them on Tuesday afternoon and they got straight back 1st thing Wednesday.................... wonder if they would discount if I lent them mine as the guineapig!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Tue Jul 05 2005 9:12am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #483 Thu Jun 23 2005 10:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
Which tints to choose - Dealer or Factory?

I have seen various models now with tints on the windows (B post rearwards) and cannot decide which one looks best.

I have been told by the dealer that the factory fitted tint is actual tinted glass whereas the dealer fit option is an aftermarket film. Not having seen the 2 types side by side I can't decide which one I want.

The look I am after is total black, I don't want people to be able to see silhouettes of the interior/people through the glass. I also do not want to be able to see the metallic elements on the rear and side glass for the heating elements and radio aerial.

Also, when you look from the side at the rearmost window, it already has a surrounding black edging on the glass, I don't want to see this, I just want it to look like the whole pane of glass is one shade/ colour. I have seen vehicles like that but don't know which tint option they are.

Can anyone help me out? I need to tell the dealer soon really.

Any pics you have would also be really helpful. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #794 Mon Jul 04 2005 4:45pm
Baron

RRUK.

From what I have seen you need factory fit its very dark Smile

Believe it or not after market is more subtle if you want it to be Smile

Post #796 Mon Jul 04 2005 6:13pm
RRUK

Baron wrote:
RRUK.

From what I have seen you need factory fit its very dark Smile

Believe it or not after market is more subtle if you want it to be Smile

Aha, some confusion you see, as my dealer told me that the factory fit comes in one tint and it's not that dark, whereas the dealer fit option comes in 3 shades ranging from very light to Limo black. It's the dark look I am after but without being able to see window elements.

After looking at various cars in the flesh I really am undecided. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #799 Mon Jul 04 2005 6:36pm
gribnau

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

The factory fit is not that dark - it helps to keep the warmth out of the car but you can still clearly see the shades of the people inside - if you want non-see thru from the outside, take the limo black. - Robert

2006 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Black Opal
2005 Porsche Carrera 997 - Artic Silver
2006 Range Rover Sport V8 - Buckingham Blue

Post #803 Mon Jul 04 2005 6:44pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The Disco2 was available as a Commercial Van................ it was litterally just a D2 with no seats in the back, a plywood floor instead and B and C glasses on each side and on the rear door windows fitted with black glass that was so heavily tinted that you could not see inside. RR, try asking a dealer where the glass from the D2 commercial was sourced. The D1 Commercial really was a panel van that had to be specially built to order by LR SVE (as Freelander commercials still are and so are special Defenders used by the public utility companies)
I have seen several cars with aftermarket fitted tinting that is starting to bubble and peel off, it does not look very nice and some of those cars are not that old either.

Post #805 Mon Jul 04 2005 7:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

RRUK if you get time pop into Trinity Motors in Hinckley as their RRS Supercharged in Rimini Red has had an aftermarket tint fitted & I dont think its finish is as good as the factory glass that is actually stained in its production & not a film that is applied as in the dealers car. See pic below

You could as the dealer who use this firm for tinting ( and have done for some time without any problems ) what shade this is and what other options are available. Or a tel number to contact the company direct?

Here too is a pic of the rear of a customers new RRS ltd edtn. with factory fit tints

Hope this helps

Cheers MDP 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #813 Mon Jul 04 2005 11:19pm
RRUK

I was going to call TRinity actually and ask about the two cars to see which had which type of tints.

Thanks

RRUK L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #821 Tue Jul 05 2005 9:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>