RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > TDV8 Off-Road Ready
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Preacher

Australia 
TDV8 Off-Road Ready

Hi all, I'm a new member, however have been reading the site for a few months now, learning what I can from you guys before I purchase my 07 TDV8. I'm keen on touring with both (either) Camper trailer, Caravan or just with the rooftop tent. I presently own a Nissan Patrol pretty much kitted out for off road work and by reading your posts (& woffle) am trying to become 'enlightened'. I know some of you guys are strictly 'on road' but I really want to take the sport off road - this will be one of my final rigs (almost at retirement age 59) and I believe if you can do it with the best - why not. My plans so far - 07 TDV8 (stornoway grey preferable) with rear locker (almost impossible to find in a second hand TDV8 I know) but when I find one I'll be ready to pounce. I'm hoping the introduction of the 010 model will see 2nd hand units drop in price - at the moment the prices have skyrocketed. Long range fuel tank (yes it is available) Spare wheel on the rear bar (see some pics on the latest offering by 4x4 intelligence) Cotton canvas seat covers. Rear storage system and Bushman Fridge. Duel batteries (yellowtop) Proper Snorkel as I often drive thru deep water to get home. Use the existing onboard suspension compressor for tyre inflation. Disco 3 ARB Bullbar adaption. Adjustable sensor rods. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch.
Rino rack with rooftop tent. Front underbody protection. I'll investigate further using 18'' wheels (to get a better tyre deflate) by adjusting the balancers to fit with the Brembos. Also using a slightly different wheel offset so that mud chains can be used - I think even a narrower profile tyre would help the chains fit as I'm not into winches and carry the chains as a last resort. Whatever tyers and wheels I eventually go for, I'll also fit them on the trailer and caravan so I've always got plenty of spares to take. Although I'm in Victoria, I'll be joining the RR Club of NSW to learn from the pros - I'm sure the RRS is very different from my Patrol and looking forward to getting it.

Last edited by Preacher on Tue Aug 25 2009 11:23am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #234031 Thu Aug 20 2009 11:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
islider

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

Post edited, not now relevant since thread moved. Thumbs Up

Last edited by islider on Tue Aug 25 2009 12:40pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #234032 Thu Aug 20 2009 12:03pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Preacher wrote:
Sorry didn't do a very good job of the words or the pics - I'll investigate how to do it properly

Preacher - welcome to the forum. Gallery and pic guidance below:

Creating a Photo Album and Uploading Pictures
Posting a Gallery Picture in the Forum 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #234041 Thu Aug 20 2009 12:58pm
riminired

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red
TDV8 Off-Road Ready

Hi Preacher,

Great to see there's someone as crazy as me out there, getting serious with one of these cars. I have an 07 TDV8 with the rear e-diff and, so far:
Pirelli Scorpion ATR tyres for everyday driving
Second set of alloys with Goodyear Wrangler MTRs for trips
( all wheels are 19inch - you cant fit 18 inch wheels over the Brembo brakes on TDV8!)
Piranha Dual Battery System
Long Range Automotive 110 litre tank
Side-ways fridge slide from Black Widow with Engel
Rhino Roof rack
GME UHF with aerial mount from Labtronx
and later will of course fit the Mitchell Tow Hitch.
Let me know if I can help with anything you're trying to find.
Two questions:your idea of using the D3 ARB bar is interesting. Could this be done?
Secondly - proper snorkel - from who?

Cheers 2015 SDV8 HSE in Corris Grey with contrasting black panoramic roof and chunky Cooper Tyres.

Post #234412 Mon Aug 24 2009 11:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Preacher

Australia 
Re: TDV8 Off-Road Ready

riminired wrote:
Hi Preacher,

Great to see there's someone as crazy as me out there, getting serious with one of these cars. I have an 07 TDV8 with the rear e-diff and, so far:
Pirelli Scorpion ATR tyres for everyday driving
Second set of alloys with Goodyear Wrangler MTRs for trips
( all wheels are 19inch - you cant fit 18 inch wheels over the Brembo brakes on TDV8!)
Piranha Dual Battery System
Long Range Automotive 110 litre tank
Side-ways fridge slide from Black Widow with Engel
Rhino Roof rack
GME UHF with aerial mount from Labtronx
and later will of course fit the Mitchell Tow Hitch.
Let me know if I can help with anything you're trying to find.
Two questions:your idea of using the D3 ARB bar is interesting. Could this be done?
Secondly - proper snorkel - from who?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply - the 18" Brembo saga is apparently doable by reshaping the brake 'ballancers' so that the 18" rim will fit over them - I believe there is a prefered brand of rim - due to its specific shape (must be a very minimal difference) but is/can be done - there is info on the forum somewhere - I'll try and track it down as a matter if interest.
My main reason for going to 18" if possible would be to get a better airdown patch for serious sand work in Oz as there is quite a bit especially if touring into out of the way places is of interest.
I'm not a winch person so when I sort this rim size out my plan is to alter the offset just a bit so that I can run mud chains - they are just the best insurance if you ever really get stuck, I just carry a set on the back floor whenever I go offroad. I've already spoken with a steel wheel manufacturer and he tells me that if I order a minimum 20 rims he can basically get anything made to suit.
Did you purchase brand new to get the e-diff and does it make a lot of difference in traction.
Long range tank - where from?
Rhino - how many bars and how have you set it up - at the moment I have 4 bars 2 front bars holding Rhino basket with extra spare wheel and the middle and rear holding my rooftop tent. I join them all together down the side with a length of aluminium sail cloth bar (used for my side awning). then just undo the fixings to the 8 rail locations and lift (read winch) the lot off into the roof of garage until next adventure.
Any problems yet leaving your spare underneath.
The D3 ARB bar has been done and very nicely too, a little bit a metal sculpture on the outside edges and looks fantastic - again I'll try and find some info on it.
Proper snorkel? it's the LR RAI but with (apparently) the holes filled and sealed - I'll again find some info on it!
dj

Post #234424 Mon Aug 24 2009 1:14pm
riminired

TDV8 Off-Road Ready

Well, well, looks like you've done even more homework than me on this subject. And that's saying something.
I should have mentioned, my car is the one that 4X4 Intelligence have done the spare wheel carrier for and it;s come up really well, allowing me to put the tank underneath. I got the tank from Long Range Automotive in Lilydale. With the rack I just have 2 cross bars (their heavy duty ones) and the full alloy tray. Id ve very interested to see the D3 ARB bar conversion; would the airbags still work? As for the snorkel Land Rover collateral states that these can only be fitted to TDV6 and V8 petrol engines - tot TDV8 or SC. If it can be done I want one! I'll take some photos of my car and get them up on here when I get a minute. 2015 SDV8 HSE in Corris Grey with contrasting black panoramic roof and chunky Cooper Tyres.

Post #234500 Tue Aug 25 2009 3:34am
Preacher

Australia 
Re: TDV8 Off-Road Ready

riminired wrote:
Well, well, looks like you've done even more homework than me on this subject. And that's saying something.
I should have mentioned, my car is the one that 4X4 Intelligence have done the spare wheel carrier for and it;s come up really well, allowing me to put the tank underneath. I got the tank from Long Range Automotive in Lilydale. With the rack I just have 2 cross bars (their heavy duty ones) and the full alloy tray. Id ve very interested to see the D3 ARB bar conversion; would the airbags still work? As for the snorkel Land Rover collateral states that these can only be fitted to TDV6 and V8 petrol engines - tot TDV8 or SC. If it can be done I want one! I'll take some photos of my car and get them up on here when I get a minute.

Yes, good homework is the only way to go - I'm not into regretting decisions if at all possible.

Back to work!

To have a look at the D3 ARB bar plus winch go to
http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30569

There appears to be another 'TDV8 Off-Road Ready' on the forum - and he's got the RAI I mentioned - so much for LR categorically stating 'no RAI for the TDV8' - see this post

DTR wrote:
Hi.
I had a RAI fitted prior heading way out west, well Camerons Corner etc. The ridgy didge product had a problem in as much that the rear part of the unit does not seal against the body letting you see daylight to the road. Another RRS here in Canberra has exactly the same problem I have not seen any others so can not comment for a greater sample size. The dealer even had the local rep present and showed them the problem. In the end I asked that they used a non paint etching sealing agent (silastic) to get rid of the gap as I did not want a venturi going through bull dust!!!
I emailed Mantec expressing my disappointment at OEM product and asking if they had an alternative for the RRS. Thank god that I do not get to embarrased as they informed me that they produced the OEM RAI Embarassed and that mine was the first install that they had heard of with that problem.
Still remains a problem and on another note since I had the RAI fitted my indicated fuel consumption (3.6 TDI) has increased from 9.7l/100 to 10.4l/100 Sad

Did you purchase brand new to get the e-diff and does it make a lot of difference in traction?

dj

Post #234521 Tue Aug 25 2009 11:09am
Preacher

Australia 

shmoogle wrote:
Preacher wrote:
Sorry didn't do a very good job of the words or the pics - I'll investigate how to do it properly

Preacher - welcome to the forum. Gallery and pic guidance below:

Creating a Photo Album and Uploading Pictures
Posting a Gallery Picture in the Forum

shmoogle
Is it possible to move the last 7 posts to a new topic called 'TDV8 Off-Road Ready' as I think it may attract more interest than being part of another topic.

dj

Post #234522 Tue Aug 25 2009 11:30am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Done. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #234523 Tue Aug 25 2009 11:35am
Preacher

Australia 

Very Annoyed wrote:
Done.

er woops It should read 'TDV8 Off-Road Ready' not TDV8 Off-Road Read

dj

Post #234524 Tue Aug 25 2009 11:47am
riminired

I purchased the vehicle from new, with the e-diff locker fitted as a option.
The thing is, as it's self engaging as required it's hard to know how much effect it has. And as far as I can tell there isn't a light or anything that comes on to indicate that it's operating.
It certainly got a good work-out in soft sand at Coffin Bay in January! 2015 SDV8 HSE in Corris Grey with contrasting black panoramic roof and chunky Cooper Tyres.

Post #234582 Wed Aug 26 2009 1:21am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

To see if it's working you need to display the 4x4 info on the sat nav screen. A picture of the wheels and drive shafts appear and the front and rear diff will have little padlock symbols that open and close to show when the diff is locked or unlocked. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #234593 Wed Aug 26 2009 8:39am
riminired

Well, thanks for that! The fact that I didnt choose the $6,000 Sat Nav option when I got the car will explain things then! But appreciate the heads-up! 2015 SDV8 HSE in Corris Grey with contrasting black panoramic roof and chunky Cooper Tyres.

Post #234601 Wed Aug 26 2009 9:10am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Very strange. If you have the extra diff you need the screen to manually lock or unlock the diff. Also I thought all TDV8's were HSE so Sat Nav comes as standard, must be different in Australia.

(Like cricket - Australia pretend to play the sport but actually can't!) 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #234603 Wed Aug 26 2009 9:20am
Josh

United Kingdom 

There is an 18" wheel that will fit over the brembos. Used by Bowler on their racing machine. It's well documentated on here somewhere. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #234613 Wed Aug 26 2009 10:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>