RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Locking into extended offroad height
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Locking into extended offroad height

Learned something new about extended offroad height today that others may find useful - I never knew you could lock the RRS into extended height once you have got there.
Put car into offroad height
Take car offroad and find somewhere where you can get the car on a "breaklover" with all four wheels on the ground and stop.
LOWER the suspension to normal mode and the car it will sense that it might bottom out, you will then get pings and a warning on the info screen in the binnacle "Raising to extended height". In the binnacle, where you see which TR setting is selected, the Mud and Ruts icon will show with a "boulder" under the centre of the car icon..................... how cool is that!
When the car has finished raising passed offroad height and stopped raising, put foot on the brake and press it down, while holding down the footbrake press the height level switch to the offroad height position and hold it down until you get the ping and then the car is locked at fully extended height. Basically you are doing the opposite of locking in access mode! When you clear the obstacle or whatever, press the height switch and hold it down until you get the gong and the car is unlocked and can be lowered again to offroad/normal height.

Thanks to JMC on Disco3 for demonstrating this new toy at the Scottish get-together today- it works on FFRR, Disco3 with air suspension, and RRS. It will not work on Freelander2 as they don't have air-suspension Mr. Green . 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #232466 Sun Aug 02 2009 11:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

Just to expand on this Tim, the foot on brake/push up for 5 seconds doesn't lock it at extended mode. It actually extends it even further into 'super extendy mode'. Razz

Still doesn't make the RRS as good off-road as the D3 or the proper Rangie though......... Whistle

Post #232516 Mon Aug 03 2009 3:01pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Bloody troublemakers these FFRR drivers..................... Whistle Mind you though the FFRR makes a good tractor for plowing with the towbar offroad................ Rolling with laughter And YES I have the video................... Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #232519 Mon Aug 03 2009 3:22pm
Maverick

Scotland 

Yes John, but you still had to take off your tow bar!! Rolling with laughter Maverick off disco3!
Drives white 1996 Defender 90 300TDi

R.I.P. Smudge! 24.10.08
R.I.P Hesko! 29.4.09

Post #232522 Mon Aug 03 2009 4:22pm
Roland

Switzerland 

Very interesting , Tim. I'll certainly try this out. Thanks for posting! Bow down SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #232525 Mon Aug 03 2009 4:37pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

keep a block of wood cut to length that fits between the ground and the chassis rail and lower the car on to that then the car will extend, or if you are cheap like me just use the jack and it will do the same Thumbs Up Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #232535 Mon Aug 03 2009 6:32pm
Maverick

Scotland 

4wheeldriver wrote:
Bloody troublemakers these FFRR drivers..................... Whistle Mind you though the FFRR makes a good tractor for plowing with the towbar offroad................ Rolling with laughter And YES I have the video...................

Did you ever get these videos up on the web?? Maverick off disco3!
Drives white 1996 Defender 90 300TDi

R.I.P. Smudge! 24.10.08
R.I.P Hesko! 29.4.09

Post #233870 Tue Aug 18 2009 5:22pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Don't blame/thank JMC, I showed him in an eversohumble D3!!! Ner Ner Wink

Post #241144 Sun Oct 25 2009 8:17pm
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

What is the easiest way to get it into extended height? Where should I put the jack? Should I lower the car onto the jack>

Post #241670 Sun Nov 01 2009 11:04pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Keep the car in standard hight, put the jack under and a little weight on it, then lower the car, the car will detect that one wheel is coming up off the ground and then panic... and put the car up into extended mode.

It happend also on my driveway with a 4 wheel trailer and I was being lazy using the air suspension to lower the car's towball out of the drawbar... car panics and goes into extended mode as there was a little toomuch pressure on the towball caused by the slope of the driveway Embarassed Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #241739 Mon Nov 02 2009 1:39pm
Jimmy Salsa

Australia 

How long can you keep it 'locked' in super extended mode?

Will it lower automatically at a certain speed as it does in off-road height? 'Black Betty' Java Black RRS 07 TDV6

Post #245326 Mon Dec 14 2009 7:46am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Ive had it in super extended mode and it does auto lower, I cant recall at what speed that was though?

Post #245334 Mon Dec 14 2009 9:29am
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

`Like low access mode their is a speed limit restriction, in Super extended mode think it is around 8mph, when this is exceeded it will lower to normal off road height

Post #245351 Mon Dec 14 2009 11:05am
Leo

Kenya 

I think the easiest solution for more clearance is to use shortened rods.

Post #245356 Mon Dec 14 2009 11:11am
disco4x4au

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Santorini Black

The limits for extended or emergency profile are roughly 8kph (5mph) or 45 seconds of travel. After either of those conditions are met it will lower to off-road.

If you want to 'force' it into extended, put the car into off-road height (if you do this in std height, it won't reach it's full height), place the jack under the chassis rail (front locator hole, either side will do), raise the jack until it is just touching the rail. Then get in and lower to normal height. The car will start lowering and then 'bong' at you and immediately raise to extended height. You can now select emergency height with the brake/EAS switch trick.

I've noticed that the 2010 RRS seems to raise a few mm higher than my D3 would - I've got measurements somewhere, might post them up later.

Cheers,

Gordon 2015 RRS SDV6 SE, Santorini Black, GOE 2-way HS rods, Traxide dual battery, 275/55R20 Nitto TerraGraplers

2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE - GOE 3-way HS rods, GOE underbody plates and sliders, 275/65R18 Courgia MT

Post #245465 Tue Dec 15 2009 2:04am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>