Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Battery went flat now wont start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

shuzzy

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Battery went flat now wont start

Hello.

I have just acquired a 2005 TDV6 and am having a major headache with it. The other day I came to start it and it just died. Turned over once then nothing, not a major problem I thought battery must be flat. Put jump leads on it and it was turning over fine but still not firing up. So took battery out and charged overnight, next day refitted it but still no joy. It turned over and then just coughed and spluttered and knocked off again. Did this a few times but still wouldn't run. Sounded like no fuel getting in.

Very confused now as a friend said it could have petrol in it. However when I picked it up had about 10 litres diesel in it so put in another 20 litres (mate who filled it up swears blind it was diesel). Now have driven about 50 miles with no problems so is it possible that you can drive so long with no ill effects. Would the petrol float on the diesel till it ran out. Just seems strange problem only occured after battery went flat. Any advice much appreciated. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Post #232653 Wed Aug 05 2009 1:08am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

From where did you acquire it? Can you not return it for attention there ? ( I know physically you cannot)... but have them attend and address....

Post #232657 Wed Aug 05 2009 7:53am
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you have contaminated the fuel tank and jut even turn the key in position II (not even started the engine), you are in for a very large repair bill as this would have armed the fuel pump and put petrol in the engine....no matter if you added diesel after...

You must have another issue... Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #232658 Wed Aug 05 2009 8:05am
dare u

Once the fuel is pumped in the engine, then you will have to take the engine apart to clean it off...going to cost...

Post #232663 Wed Aug 05 2009 9:12am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Have you had somebody check that the preheater plugs (aka Glow Plugs) and fuel pump are all working - there is a fuel pump reset that you can check hasn't accidentally tripped but I couldn't tell you where it is. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #232673 Wed Aug 05 2009 10:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shuzzy

Thanks for the advice guys. In response to some of the questions, I bought the car from a garage approx 40 miles away, not really sure where I stand in regards to come back. However I think panic over it has been fixed. Mr. Green I didn't think it was ever a misfuel issue as the car wouldn't have driven so long with no issues. But the useless cashier checked the receipt number and said unleaded had been dispensed.

Anyways auto electrician said when the battery goes flat you cant jump start it, this interferes with the electrics, he just reset the ECU and then it started up. Question Question Regardless I'm happy again. Thumbs Up

Post #232700 Thu Aug 06 2009 12:35am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Confused Shocked

It's Diesel.... but you confirmed unleaded HAD been dispensed but it isn't a fuel issue.... Am i misreading some of this Confused

Post #232718 Thu Aug 06 2009 8:35am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Wasn't just me then Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #232719 Thu Aug 06 2009 8:47am
shuzzy

Sorry for the confusion, but the reason I thought it was a misfuel issue is because somebody suggested it might be a reason why it wouldn't start. Therefore as a precaution I called the garage where the fuel was dispensed from and asked them which fuel had been dispensed on my receipt number. I was informed unleaded fuel so that is why I though I had put petrol in. The more I thought about the more I thought this was not the case. This was confirmed when the electrician just reset the ECU and it fired up fine.

So basically dont put jump leads or a boosters on your battery to start the car and don't take petrol station cashiers word for it when you ask which fuel was dispensed.

Post #232874 Thu Aug 06 2009 8:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1