RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Twin axle trailer not sitting level
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Twin axle trailer not sitting level

I have a detatchable tow bar on my 08 TDV8. I have towed my single axle caravan with it, and it looked nice and level.

I have a twin axle exhibition trailer which I used to tow with a Discovery Td5 (with SLS), and it always sat level. However, When hitched to the Sport, the trailer now sits nose down, so the rear axle is slightly higher than the front. At my last exhibition in Driffield a couple of weekends ago, I ended up towing the show trailer with a freinds Defender 90, as it sat level on that, so I felt much safer.

Having read the user manual, there is very little information on how to resolve this, other than to adjust the height of the tow hitch on the trailer (not sure this is achievable?). I assumed that all trailers were made to a standard height, so they could attach safely to virtually any car?

Does anyone know how I can get the car's susspension to level up the trailer, or any other method of making it safe? I assumed that like on my old Disco Td5, the susspension would self level to ensure the trailer would sit level?

I've got a long drive down to herefordshire with it on the first weekend of June, so need to have something sorted for then. Confused

Regards,

Gary. Feel the difference... Feel Alive!

Member of the "Causeway Grey MY14 RRS SDV6 HSE Dynamic" Owners Club.

Like Alive on Facebook...

[b]In house MAHA LPS3000 4 wheel drive Rolling Road.

Post #226187 Thu May 21 2009 12:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

What style tow bar did your Disco/does the 90 have?

You may be better off with a multi-height tow bar on the RRS.

The suspension will level, but it won't (can't) level the trailer too (it doesn't know the height of the trailer drawbar). Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #226188 Thu May 21 2009 12:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I have this with a builders type trailer.... down to the wheel size combination i guess - initially i was concerned but have adjusted to it, when empty it saves tyre wear on the back axle, when loaded both axles have road contact .....

Post #226199 Thu May 21 2009 8:31am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Oh - and i think i measured a number of cars towbars to compare and i think they all sat @ 13" from the ground to top of the ball IIRC.... so i put it down to the [to some degree] trailer wheel sizes....

Post #226201 Thu May 21 2009 8:33am
Rupert

Ireland 

I’ve had this in the past with my twin axle trailer when using the removable tow ball. Whereas on a D1 or D2 it towed just fine & level.

Basically the height of the tow ball from the ground was too low to suit my trailer, so I had to fit the multi-height tow bar instead.

Post #226209 Thu May 21 2009 9:42am
Alive Tuning

Martin wrote:
What style tow bar did your Disco/does the 90 have?

Both the Discovery and Defender Td5's had land rover adjustable height tow bar's, with the tow ball set to the 'standard' height, where everything previously sat straight.

Not sure I want to put a fixed tow bar on the sport, as I want it to look it's best and this would surely spoil it's looks. Big Cry

Is it an option to raise the ride height slightly to compensate? I have IDS and Autologic here, but is it the done thing? I guess it would only take an additional 25-30mm to level it. Feel the difference... Feel Alive!

Post #226210 Thu May 21 2009 9:47am
Martin

United Kingdom 

I wouldn't start playing with changing the factory ride heights, especially to raise the vehicle and when towing.

I would get the tow bar height right with standard ride height - if this means fitting an adjustable tow hitch and that your Sport looks a little less sporty then surely it's worth it for piece of mind and, critically, safety when towing your trailer? Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #226212 Thu May 21 2009 10:01am
Alive Tuning

Thanks Martin, wise words as always. Thumbs Up

I only bought the removable kit a few weeks ago though! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Feel the difference... Feel Alive!

Post #226215 Thu May 21 2009 10:28am
Martin

United Kingdom 

I'm sure there will be a buyer on here or DISCO3 Wink Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #226256 Thu May 21 2009 3:31pm
C10KO

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

MAW wrote:
...when empty it saves tyre wear on the back axle, when loaded both axles have road contact...

I also think that it has been designed this way to reduce wear...
Though, when towing with a defender (no removable towbar) both wheels have road contact... Confused

Post #226271 Thu May 21 2009 4:00pm
Roland S

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

hi there a freind just bought a disco 3 on ebay and it came with 2 detatchable tow balls both differ in the drop hieght will find out measurements for you.

Post #226333 Thu May 21 2009 10:36pm
Alive Tuning

Roland S wrote:
hi there a freind just bought a disco 3 on ebay and it came with 2 detatchable tow balls both differ in the drop hieght will find out measurements for you.

Now there is a glimmer of hope! Idea Mr. Green Thanks! Thumbs Up Feel the difference... Feel Alive!

Post #226334 Thu May 21 2009 10:42pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

I think you will find that one of those detachable tow hooks is not a genuine Land Rover part. To the best of my knowledge Land Rover have not changed the dimensions of the detachable towbar since the D3 was launched five years ago. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #226452 Fri May 22 2009 3:08pm
Alive Tuning

I ended up fitting a fixed tow bar. Rolling Eyes

I went to pick up my new twin axle caravan, only to find it sitting nose down on the removable tow bar, so that kind of forced me into it. At least now my exhibition trailer and caravan sit level, and tow safely.

Having since compared the ball height with a freinds D3, the removable tow bar sits higher on the disco than on the rrs. Idea

Click image to enlarge

Anyone want to buy a quick release tow bar??? Wink Feel the difference... Feel Alive!

Post #228253 Mon Jun 15 2009 11:16pm
vogue se

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Alive wrote:
I ended up fitting a fixed tow bar. Rolling Eyes

I went to pick up my new twin axle caravan, only to find it sitting nose down on the removable tow bar, so that kind of forced me into it. At least now my exhibition trailer and caravan sit level, and tow safely.

Having since compared the ball height with a freinds D3, the removable tow bar sits higher on the disco than on the rrs. Idea

Click image to enlarge

Anyone want to buy a quick release tow bar??? Wink

It's a well known problem. The detachable towbars are too low but i's unbelievable that such an expensive and nice car needs to be mutilated with a horrable fixed tow bar.

Post #228492 Thu Jun 18 2009 8:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>