RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > chassis rust protection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

diamond

Greece 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Alaska White
chassis rust protection

I know that this topic has been discussed a lot, but yesterday I saw a D3 on a LR dealer and the rust on the chassis welds were excessive.
When I asked the dealer some days ago what kind of protective measures should I take in order to prevent rust like this, he said don't worry.
But as many of you know in Northern Europe the use of road salt during winter is heavy and I don't think that the anti corrosion warranty covers this kind of rust

Is it good enough to wash the car underneath or it's needed a waxoyl treatment early on?

Any information is appreciated especially from those living in areas where salt is used during winter.

Is it the same for other car brands or it's only LR that looks like this after being exposed to road salt? 2009 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 SE, Alaska White, Almond leather, tinted windows, active rear diff, tow pack, HiICE, full spare: gone and already missed

2004 Fiat Panda 1.2 Climbing 4x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAg4DdXAp7Y

Post #226987 Fri May 29 2009 9:43am
Texstar

United Kingdom 

If you intend keeping the car for a few years, I would have it waxoyled or such like ASAP. My D3 chassis (3.5 yrs old)looks pretty terrible underneath frankly, in fact when I compare it with a 17 yr old Beemer we have, it is obvious that Land Rover do not protect this area well enough, no primer, and what looks like 1 wafer thin coat of black paint (probably over rust to start with Rolling Eyes ). Sh*te really, 'Premium Brand' - My Arse. RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Post #227001 Fri May 29 2009 3:54pm
diamond

Greece 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Alaska White

The idea is to keep the car and that's why I'm worried about the factory rust protection. 2009 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 SE, Alaska White, Almond leather, tinted windows, active rear diff, tow pack, HiICE, full spare: gone and already missed

2004 Fiat Panda 1.2 Climbing 4x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAg4DdXAp7Y

Post #227003 Fri May 29 2009 5:24pm
Leo

Kenya 

Waxoyl is good, there are quite a few brands now that do the same thing. The problem is that car manufaturers are being forced to make cars that are biodegradeable - I think the design life of most new cars is only 10 years?

Post #227018 Fri May 29 2009 10:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1