RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Mines all soft !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue
Mines all soft !

Well took mine in to have some polishing done as everytime you look at it the it would seem to get scratched.

It was going to be machined but the garage in the end did it all by hand as they didn't think machine polishing would be a wise move as the paint was very soft.

My 7 year old TD5 which has been through the bushes as well but is in far better nick, and looks real good still.

When Ford took over LR the quality went down, the interior plastics were cheaper and marked much more than the previous TD5 made by BMW and the audio systems got the cheaper ford speakers.

Now the paintwork or should we say coachwork as it is a Rangie?

When fitting the dual battery setup some of the electric boxes under bonnet even had volvo stickers and part numbers on.

Can the quality get any worse,

Any views thoughts etc, garage reckoned it was down to using waterbased paints which take about 3 years to go hard, (explain that to the woman in your life) and as the bonnet has become very scratched since a complete respray 12 months ago perhaps their is some truth in it.

Post #226340 Thu May 21 2009 11:07pm
Roland

Switzerland 
Re: Mines all soft !

lespes wrote:

Can the quality get any worse,

YES, IT CAN ! it's as simple as this: BMW to Ford and now Tata Neutral Neutral SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #226358 Fri May 22 2009 5:37am
pjpocket

Cyprus 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I'm still hoping that it's a step in the right direction (Tata)...

Post #226360 Fri May 22 2009 6:51am
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Land Rover quality levels are now higher than they have been for years and they are moving in the right direction.

BMW tried to re invent the wheel and caused more confusion than improvements. Ford took a much more softly softly approach and steadily introduced some good quality initiatives into Land Rover. Tata are still sticking to their original promise of standing back and allowing Land Rover to basically manage itself.

The launch of 2010MY later this year will see another huge step up in vehicle quality. Thumbs Up Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #226451 Fri May 22 2009 3:00pm
lespes

Quote:
The launch of 2010MY later this year will see another huge step up in vehicle quality.

Hmm

Quality or refinement???

Quote:
Ford took a much more softly softly approach and steadily introduced some good quality initiatives into Land Rover.

Seemed to of missed that, Ford must of been wearing silk cushion slippers.

Examples??

Post #226463 Fri May 22 2009 4:08pm
Roland

Switzerland 

lespes wrote:
Quote:
The launch of 2010MY later this year will see another huge step up in vehicle quality.

Hmm

Quality or refinement???

Quote:
Ford took a much more softly softly approach and steadily introduced some good quality initiatives into Land Rover.

Seemed to of missed that, Ford must of been wearing silk cushion slippers.

Examples??

Good point, Lespes. Couldn't agree more. TB sounds like somebody being on LR's payroll. SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Last edited by Roland on Fri May 22 2009 4:19pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #226466 Fri May 22 2009 4:16pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Roland wrote:
TB sounds like somebody being LR's payroll.

You reckon? Blimey Shocked 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #226468 Fri May 22 2009 4:19pm
Leo

Kenya 

Everyone uses water based paints now, though some are better than others. Scratch resistance depends on the top coat, could be you got a bad one, but I'm sure paint thickness etc is checked at the factory (but then, this is LR!). Mine is fine, and has seen its fair share of bush. Shocked

TB is right - from a reliabilty point of view, the Ford LRs are much better than the BMW ones. Ever had the mispleasure of working on a P38 or pre Ford L322? The electronics were a joke and some of the design (e.g. FFRR front diff) was totally inappropriate for a 4x4. Still loads of room for improvement in the current products though.

The fact that the RRS scored well in the 2009 US JD Powers survey is a good sign. Thumbs Up

Post #226470 Fri May 22 2009 4:33pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

shmoogle wrote:
Roland wrote:

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #226477 Fri May 22 2009 5:55pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Look at the arse the Ford made of Volvo though. The 2.0d that Volvo use is out of a Mondeo/Focus. You take it to Ford dealer and they'll service the car for HALF what Volvo Dealers want.

Build quality has suffered too. just need to look on the VOC forums to see that. Customer Service has suffered too. I've an email about my (soon to be ex)XC90 that states "if the computer does not log a fault code there the assumption is that there ISN'T a fault present on the vehicle". Aint that just class??

I had a pre Ford S40 phase1. Brilliant!! An S60 just about the take over time and it was brilliant too. New XC90 last October, SHED!!! Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #226481 Fri May 22 2009 7:55pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Thanks for the support Leo. Thumbs Up Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #226499 Fri May 22 2009 11:21pm
lespes

Quote:
Ever had the mispleasure of working on a P38 or pre Ford L322?

P38 was a nightmare kind of funny really that British Aerospace was involved might of thought that electronics might of been their strong point, but was pretty good by the end. and remember all the problems with the D3 when that was launched, electric's wasn;t it! but will admit that these teething problems were sorted quiker than previous models Smile

As for pre Ford L322 did not know that any existed model release 2003 Ford bought Landrover 2000?????? Confused Even though BMW developed, Ford put them together.

The RRS has probably one of the worse finished cabins in its class a P38 interior was superior, now Landrover are making a big play on better interiors, only giving back what earlier they took away.

Leo: Just thought paint out your way may hardern quicker due to the high temps out there.

It would seem to me that good quality durable finishes have been sacrificed to enable Landrover to spend more money it puttting it together right in the first place, which many of its competitors were managing to do years ahead of it.

Landrover even now have the ability to make more "Friday" cars than the opposistion and once a bad un always a bad un, but agree that they make less now than before.

For me Landrover, BAE, BMW, Ford and now Tata have all made me a reliable form of transport, covering 20-30 thousand a year with no major incidents, but still stand by the fact the finish and quality of products used is less durable and in keeping with its design brief, mowadays.

Post #226510 Sat May 23 2009 8:33am
lespes

Perhaps TB is the secret "Mole" reporting back to Tata on his findings in forums like this Rolling with laughter

Post #226511 Sat May 23 2009 8:35am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

shmoogle wrote:
Roland wrote:

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Whistle Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #226512 Sat May 23 2009 8:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1