RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Diesel Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Iceman

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey
Diesel Performance

After the purchase of my SC RRS at the start of January a surprise work contract has presented itself to me. Basically, instead of doing my normal 24000mls per year, this contract will mean that i'll be doing more like 30-40k/year - making the SC's 15mpg an unrealistic vehicle to use for the travelling.

The main reason that stopped me buying the TDV6 in the 1st place was LR's published performance data - i.e. 12 seconds 0-60time.

Coming from an M3 (5.5sec 0-60) to something like that, I imagined would be a nightmare.

So, my question to you all is this... With or without the chip/reprogram how do you cope with what appears to be such a sluggish car and with the chip how does this affect the 12 seconds time?

Any comments from either side of the fence would be appreciated as this contract is likely to start fairly quickly so i'll need to act fast whichever way.

My other alternative is to go for an LPG converstion at £2400+VAT and save at least 50% on my current fuel bill. Which should pay for itself in about 6-8months time.

Thanks in advance!

iCE.

Post #12636 Thu Feb 09 2006 3:01pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Well if an LPG conversion saves money that quick, then that seems the route to take and have the best of both worlds. If the LPG convesion is done properly, I'm sure it would make it sell easily on the private markget.

As a diesel driver, I would say you soon get used to the performance and the car doesn't feel slow to drive now (had it 7 months). In fact, it feels pretty lively at times. The only times the performance is an issue is overtaking when you really shouldn't be! Generally, I would say that I still feel as if I'm in a car that is faster than the majority of other drivers.
Taking the TC upgrade, I'm sure they diesel is fantastic, but for now I don't think I need to spend the money on making it any better. I too come from a history of fast cars and I thought that that the diesel performance was going to be an issue, but it isn't after about two months of ownership - you get used to it and the engine improves massively as it beds in. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #12637 Thu Feb 09 2006 3:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

The only thing that is SUPERCHARGED is my Wallet Crying or Very sad I rarely get to use the performance thats on tap and just find myself pottering around town. I reaaly should be driving a Diesel but I'm a sucker for the big V8 Embarassed 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #12639 Thu Feb 09 2006 3:31pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Iceman, I too came from an M3 to a diesel RRS. I too thought "holy crap! 12 seconds???" but there's two things I'd say. 1) I've never timed it, but I really don't think it takes 12 secs to get to 60 - maybe nearer 10 secs. OK, this is still twice the time for the M3, but because of the type of car this is it doesn't seem quite so slow. 2) If you want to drive it quickly you can - in Sport mode using CommandShift it's quite easy to ride the torque "wave" and make good progress. 3) My driving style has actually changed to accommodate for the different style of car. This a good thing when I'm transporting the wife and sprog about and also keeps my already smitten license from being endorsed any further than it is.

So in summary - it's not as bad as all that. To be honest with you, in comparison with the M3, even the SC isn't comparable in performance - you'll only get that straight line buzz in a 4x4 from a Cayenne Turbo and thats going to cost you 70k+ (and is ugly as sin)....

Get the diesel. The fuel bills are less scary, the performance isn't all that bad plus you get to keep all the RRS bells and whistles that you're already used to. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #12640 Thu Feb 09 2006 3:54pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Agree with all the above, but the question i would ask is, would you really be saving that much swapping into a diesel?
I get 20.8 mpg around town and to and fro from work, and achieve realistically 27mpg on the motorway. How much can an SC achieve on the motorway? i know a figure of between 12-15mpg is realistic around town, but how much more can it do on longer steadier runs?

Post #12643 Thu Feb 09 2006 4:04pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I agree with all the comments above. The RRS is a strange animal and certainly seems better than it's LR figures. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #12644 Thu Feb 09 2006 4:06pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

kam100 wrote:
Agree with all the above, but the question i would ask is, would you really be saving that much swapping into a diesel?
I get 20.8 mpg around town and to and fro from work, and achieve realistically 27mpg on the motorway. How much can an SC achieve on the motorway? i know a figure of between 12-15mpg is realistic around town, but how much more can it do on longer steadier runs?

I expect an SC owner would be lucky/glad to get 20mpg out of it, even on longer runs... which it looks like Iceman will be doing. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #12648 Thu Feb 09 2006 4:18pm
PaulB

England 

I've had my TDV6 chipped and I now suspect it is damn near as quick as the non-S/C V8. The torque is tremendous.
The big hit on the preformance in standard spec. is getting it off the line due to the turbo lag, but once rolling, it's no slouch.

Paul RRS TDV8 - Stornoway Grey, Irory Leather with Dark Zebrano, Privacy Glass, Tow Pack.
1967 Cobra 427 S/C
1951 Vincent Comet
2001 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Post #12662 Thu Feb 09 2006 5:02pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Re: Diesel Performance

Iceman wrote:

The main reason that stopped me buying the TDV6 in the 1st place was LR's published performance data - i.e. 12 seconds 0-60time.

Coming from an M3 (5.5sec 0-60) to something like that, I imagined would be a nightmare.

So, my question to you all is this... With or without the chip/reprogram how do you cope with what appears to be such a sluggish car and with the chip how does this affect the 12 seconds time?

Any comments from either side of the fence would be appreciated as this contract is likely to start fairly quickly so i'll need to act fast whichever way.

iCE.

The main thing I find is that you learn to drive with a very different style, you need to pre-empt situations rather than relying on the vehicles power to get you places. I've had mine chipped & it definitely makes a big difference. mid-range you can feel a fair bit of omph. Ok it won't be in M3 class, but it can be a bit of fun to see the shock on the faces of the hot hatch brigade when you catch them in the wrong gear & blast past. About the same as when the hot hatch brigade catch me in the wrong gear in the GT3. To be honest it's fine for the daily grind & (IMHO) it's not woth spending the extra 15k for a S/C. If performance is that much of an issue for you get a KN S, better than S/c performance for around same price as a TDV6 HSE.

To answer one of your questions, the chipping I've had done knock around 2secs off the 0-60 blast. As paulB says you've got a lot of weight to get moving which is the problem, but once moving if you floor the accelrator you can fell it's bum squat big time. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #12696 Thu Feb 09 2006 7:00pm
Luke

England 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I currently drive a TDV6 D3 (RRS on order) and i have covered 11k. Personly i think it goes like stink, once your on the move it can catch you out with its low rev pick up. I used to drive a 4.2 V8 classic RR and it,s as quick as that. I also average 24mpg driving like i would a quick car. You wont be dissaponted and you've always got the chip option if you are. Plus your less likely to come out one morning and find Greenpeace handcuffed to your grill.

Post #12705 Thu Feb 09 2006 8:11pm
ST

I stepped out of an S4 into my D3 HSE. First week was a little odd however I am now more than happy with the performance - it has run in nicely and pulls in gear like a steam train. It certainly aint no M3 / S4 off the line but in gear and moving it shifts quite nicely......

It could easily cope with another 50 / 60bhp - i think we all know where you could get that sorted!!

I haven't had mine done but those that have will tell you that it really does shift. Stories have been quoted that the chipped car will keep up quite nicely with the 4.4V8 off the line and then go on to trounce it through the gears once up and running - the increase in torque makes a hell of a difference.........and it will still turn you over 24 to the gallon into the deal Currently: Carbon Black 535d
RIP: RRSTDV6 HSE & DISCO3 HSE

Post #12711 Thu Feb 09 2006 9:32pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

ST wrote:
I stepped out of an S4 into my D3 HSE. First week was a little odd however I am now more than happy with the performance - it has run in nicely and pulls in gear like a steam train. It certainly aint no M3 / S4 off the line but in gear and moving it shifts quite nicely......

It could easily cope with another 50 / 60bhp - i think we all know where you could get that sorted!!

I haven't had mine done but those that have will tell you that it really does shift. Stories have been quoted that the chipped car will keep up quite nicely with the 4.4V8 off the line and then go on to trounce it through the gears once up and running - the increase in torque makes a hell of a difference.........and it will still turn you over 24 to the gallon into the deal

24mpg...you must be kidding...I do a 30mile commute into London each day on the M4 to Hammersmith...make around 29mpg Laughing HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #12718 Thu Feb 09 2006 10:28pm
Iceman

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey
Thank you!

Thanks for all your replies! It certainly looks as though the diesel is the way to go if this contract does come off.

Just have to weigh up how much i'd loose on a 1.5month old, 2k/mls £58k car against how much i'll save by changing to the diesel machine.

Guy Salmon, who I bought it, off have offered me a whopping £50k for the car as a px against a TDV6!!! Rolling Eyes So unless I do a private sale it'll be a no go situation or a LPG conversion.

Any more comments would be appreciated in the mean time!

Quote:
Plus your less likely to come out one morning and find Greenpeace handcuffed to your grill.

hahahah, made me laugh!!

Thanks again!

iCE.

Post #12724 Fri Feb 10 2006 12:00am
ST

I bought my D3 HSE from Guy Salmon - when I started looking at the RRS they offered me a pants figure for PX.
Stratstone - Doncaster offered significantly more........it pays to shop around I think. Currently: Carbon Black 535d
RIP: RRSTDV6 HSE & DISCO3 HSE

Post #12730 Fri Feb 10 2006 8:21am
M@verik

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

I would have thought the price hit - £50k offer - will be one issue that might swing the conversion into favour but, you are also likely to loose much more in the long term on the SC, particularly when/if the TDV8 goes into the RRS.

RRS prices are beginning to soften slightly already and if it were my money I would let the SC go and get the TDV6 which will almost certainly loose you less than even a gas bodged SC.

As for performance, chipping makes a big difference and it does seem to bring the TDV6 close to if not better in the mid range than the 4.4. Our TDV6 will certainly out drag a V8 D3 from 0- disappeared over the horizon.

We also have a DB9 which gets driven not polished and our RRS doesn’t feel ridiculously slow even by comparison with that – just higher. Also we were recently lent an SC by our dealer for 3 days while a trim issue was sorted on our car. Apart from the sound track, which is much better of course than the diesel, neither I nor anyone else who had a go in the SC thought it was worth the price difference and during that 3 days, driving as I usually do, I got 9mpg rather than 23mpg from my car. 11 XFR

08 RRS TDV8 HSE with the good bits taken off the first RRS

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

1923 Ford Model T (serious ground clearance)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

plus some other bits n' pieces

Post #12734 Fri Feb 10 2006 8:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>