Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > urgent tyre help needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Jimmy Salsa

Australia 
urgent tyre help needed

Howdy all,

Went to fit some new A/T rubber on today to take the little bitch of-road over easter and hit a snag.

According to Coopers, the new Zeon LTZ should fit the RRS given they are currently fitting them to d3's however when i went in to have mine fitted today, they nudge up against the chassis when on full lock.

Specs are 285/60

http://www.coopertyres.com.au/tyres/zeon%20LTZ_specs.htm

Pro comp A/T's are the same spec.

Has anyone found any decent A/T tyres to fit the 18 inch rims? 'Black Betty' Java Black RRS 07 TDV6

Post #221692 Wed Apr 08 2009 10:47am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

2nd has got some off-road footwear for his pride and joy.. Not a clue what they are though.. he may be along shortly Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #221724 Wed Apr 08 2009 12:49pm
Leo

Kenya 

Hi Jimmy,
Loads of people use the Cooper LTZs in 285/60/18 on their RRSs without any problems. How much do they rub, and was this in access height or normal height? Someone in the US even runs 285/65/18 BFG ATs.....

Continental do the new Crosscontact AT in 255/60/18, and has had some good reviews, the General Grabber AT2 in same size is also a good AT tyre and hugely popular on Disco3.co.uk.

Post #221741 Wed Apr 08 2009 2:13pm
Jimmy Salsa

Australia 
Well that throws me out

When fitted in normal height, the tyre comes to rest against the chassis on full lock. Only just, but I imagine that you would get a bit of movement when off-roading and would be scrubbing the inside of the tyre out ocassionally.

Have they other definitely fitted the LTZ version of the Zeon's? These are a brand new model as I understand it and there are a few configurations of the Zeons ( including a 285/55 but they're not really an A/T version like the LTZ)

I was very tempted to leave them on and see how they went but at $350 a pop I just didn't want to risk it.

According to Cooper's in NSW and QLD they haven't fitted these to an RRS as they but they have managed to get it on the D3. Is the clearance any different? 'Black Betty' Java Black RRS 07 TDV6

Post #221803 Wed Apr 08 2009 10:49pm
Leo

Kenya 

It's been available in the US for a few years, check this out: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30415 and http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18663 also: http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic...r+zeon+ltz

Post #221806 Wed Apr 08 2009 11:12pm
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

I have General Grabber AT2's on my car.

Click image to enlarge

Jury is out as i have had two sidewall rips, and not sure if that is just bad luck or poor design!

Post #221811 Thu Apr 09 2009 12:25am
Jimmy Salsa

Australia 
fitting them now

Alright Zilch/Leo - you have me convinced. The guys at the tyre shop think I'm mad but they are fitting them as I type this.

Will keep you all posted on the result. 'Black Betty' Java Black RRS 07 TDV6

Post #221813 Thu Apr 09 2009 2:28am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Re: fitting them now

Jimmy Salsa wrote:
Alright Zilch/Leo - you have me convinced. .
Shocked

I run standard wranglers Jimmy... not guilty Smile Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #221814 Thu Apr 09 2009 6:55am
Jimmy Salsa

Australia 
tyre update

OK - have given the coopers a good workout over a couple of tracks over the weekend. The first was fairly mild through the watagans and the second was a little bit off rougher stuff down the Boree Track (see google maps link).

They were fantastic in all conditions but here the rub... literally. They are rubbing in some situations. Tight turns on downhill slopes when the car is pushing down into the corner and at speed on the open road when i went through a dip, they bottomed out fractionally, neither of which is good.

However, it is only very subtle and neither event has seemed to scrub any part of the tyres out.

Spoke with the knowledgeable lads at Mitchell brothers in Sydney and they have given me some of the best news ever. They are soon to release a new manual adjustment module for the air suspension for RRS and D3 which will enable you to select both the ride height adjustment and, even better, the speed at which the system automatically lowers.

In theory you could set the ride height to be an additional 25mm (half the distance between standard on-road and off-road) and have it stay at that height up to whatever speed you want to. In essence you get an electronically adjustable lift kit. The other bonus is that because it is within the scope of the existing adjustment range, you don't need any engineers certification for the mods Very Happy

I wonder if it will let you tap into the extended mode settings? Twisted Evil

Not sure about pricing as yet which could be the killer but expected delivery date is two to three months away.
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?oe=utf-8...3a02924180

'Black Betty' Java Black RRS 07 TDV6

Post #223152 Wed Apr 22 2009 1:28pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Sounds good re the Height adjustment.

Just a thought on the tyre rub know that you can spec different tyres in the cars software, mainly I think to compensate for the different speedo readings, might also effect other things, have you tried that?

Post #223170 Wed Apr 22 2009 6:25pm
Leo

Kenya 

The module from Mitchell Bros is good news - hopefully won't be too pricey.

Jimmy, next time you visit the dealer or if you know anyone with Autologic, have them check that the ride height calibration on your car is ok. Could be that it's sitting a bit lower than normal in all heights.

Post #223179 Wed Apr 22 2009 7:52pm
Jimmy Salsa

Australia 
re: ride height

Hey guys,

Thanks for that. Wasn't aware it could be adjusted in the software. Will check that out when I take it in for service next month.

Speedo is out with the new rubber on according to my GPS. It rolling approx 10% above what the speedo tells me I'm doing. 'Black Betty' Java Black RRS 07 TDV6

Post #223197 Wed Apr 22 2009 11:07pm
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

The general Grabber AT2's are 255/55 so match the factory road rubber size, and thus do not rub. They are what the stealer fits if you ask for their recommended off road tyres for 18" wheels here in Aus.

They have been great performance in terms of grip, although as I said i had two side walls ripped.

Post #223198 Wed Apr 22 2009 11:25pm
fred looney

Australia 

Has anyone got any recomendation for 19' wheels as I emailed cooper tyres and they don't have anything that would fit RRS TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Post #223201 Thu Apr 23 2009 12:48am
Leo

Kenya 

Fred, LR use the Goodyear MT/R in 255/55/19 for the G4 cars, they're expensive but very good in the mud and have a strong side wall. Thumbs Up

Post #223205 Thu Apr 23 2009 7:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>