RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Front Headrest Angle? - a pain in the neck???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

perpetualman

Front Headrest Angle? - a pain in the neck???

Hello all Newbie post here. I've just bought my first RRS and after driving a few days I'm beginning to notice that the headrest on the front seats tilts forward quite a bit (yes I did do a long test drive!??).... it's starting to give me a sore neck.... Ive tried putting it up and down but the basic fixed forward angle is still a problem.

Has anyone else found this a problem?

Any solutions?.......... Replacement Headrest? way of changing the angle? Headrest from another model that will fit without the forward angle?

Would be grateful for your input.

Thanks, Chris

Post #191666 Sat Oct 11 2008 9:37pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I do some long trips in my RRS, which today is just down the road from you in the New Forest and tomorrow will be heading back to Scotland where it normally lives. I have never had an issue with the head restraint angle in either the 2005 2.7Tdv6 SE that I owned until October last year or the 3.6 TDv8 HSE that I been running for the last year.
Have you tried reclining the seat back back a few degress to compensate for the headrest angle that you find is uncomfortable? I know there are one or two people here who found the drivers seat difficult to get to a comfortable position for them though. I find that I can drive an 8 hour stint with a couple or 3 breaks and get out feeling fresh and without aches and pains. The only car more comfortable for Glasgow/Southampton and back drives that I have owned was the big current generation Range Rover that I owned before I downsized to an RRS. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #191672 Sat Oct 11 2008 9:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I seem to remember a couple of folks reporting this and your suggestion was pretty much it, Tim... I found the seat uncomfortable too at first and it took me a fair while to get it sorted. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #191677 Sat Oct 11 2008 10:07pm
perpetualman

Thanks chaps. Yes, I have tried setting the seat angle back slightly more than usual, this helps but the feeling of the headrest touching the back of my head still feels weird - like your head is being pushed forward. Maybe it's a height thing I'm 6'2"??

I was hoping that maybe say a headrest from a Discovery would fit and it was more upright or some other solution. Hopefully someone else can suggest something??

Thanks, Chris

Post #191682 Sat Oct 11 2008 10:32pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Someone did once suggest that the headrest could be turned round, but not sure whether this was actually feasible or not. Not necessarily a height thing as I'm 6'4" and didn't have a problem with that myself. In fact I can't say that my head ever rests on the headrest whilst driving along... 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #191683 Sat Oct 11 2008 10:39pm
perpetualman

Thanks Shmoogle, I did try turing the headrest around this afternoon, and you can. Problem is it then points backwards and would be dangerous in a crash ie no whiplash protection.

Thanks, Chris

Post #191695 Sat Oct 11 2008 11:46pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I wonder if this problem is one that only affects taller owners? I'm a short ar Censored e at 5ft 7" and have the head rest set nearly at it's lowest position, you guys must have it almost on it's highest safe position which exaggerates the forward cant of the supports.................... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #191709 Sun Oct 12 2008 8:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

FWIW I'm 6'7" and have no issue with the seat or headrest!

Post #191714 Sun Oct 12 2008 9:18am
Pelyma

England 

10forcash on the D3 site had pictures of a replacement headrest for the D3 that was adjustable, maybe its worth asking him. FWIW lots of people complain about the D3 headrest (usually those that like an upright seat) but it has won lots of awards for being a safe headrest. Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #191716 Sun Oct 12 2008 9:54am
perpetualman

Hi Pelyma, Sorry to be dense but how can I access this info? Could you post a link?

(BTW I went to Clymping beach once - lovely place)

Post #191717 Sun Oct 12 2008 10:40am
Pelyma

England 

These are the pictures on his site

Click image to enlarge
this is his business http://www.offroad-essentials.com/torqtune.html he is great at problem solving. There wasn't a thread I'm afraid I just noticed it in his website, he may have a RRS solution. Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #191718 Sun Oct 12 2008 11:22am
Sexy Pauly

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

a friend of mine in la had a simmilar problem, that and he couldnt retrofit 8" screems to teh standard rrs headrests. so he swapped them for some larger flatter ones out of another car, il find out which car. amd to be honest they looked more natural in the car, fitted better in my view.
il find out which headrests they were and let you know RR Sport supercharged 06
strut grills, strut 22" wheels, Full Kahn Kit
Brembo big brake kit, tinted front and rear lights

CLS 63 AMG Mercedes 2008, Cayenne Turbo S 2007, C32 AMG mercedes 2004, Vito Van 111CDI 2004

Post #191720 Sun Oct 12 2008 12:22pm
perpetualman

Thanks, yes that would be great. The distance between the poles is 15cm.

Post #191723 Sun Oct 12 2008 2:42pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

I too have had issues with the seat from day one. The neck issue goes after a few months as you adjust to it, not ideal, but you will get used to it. The seat height has always been an issue for me....if only LR would engineer these things properly instead of the "that will do" attitude.........Mercs, BMW's all have amazing seat travel, inc the X5...for some reason LR decided that the Volvo seats would suffice for all, tall, short, fat, thin and just plain weird. Big Cry L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #191736 Sun Oct 12 2008 9:16pm
Mail Order Ride

Aha - so we are not the only ones!
I just found this thread after the first 1200 miles or so in our RRS

My main aggro was not being comfortable as a driver
Im a lanky so and so and thus instinctively set the seat to its lowest setting and took it from there

After fiddling with everything bar the height I was still getting back ache between my shoulder blades until I eventually raised the seat quite a bit and am now nice and snug

On the other hand my passenger is still complaining about the head rest
She usually snoozes whilst I drive

Due to the shape of the RRS head rest she cannot get her neck comfortable, or even in a remotely anatomical position, and so hasnt bonded with the car as much as I have (at least now that Im sitting comfortably)

There is probably scope to fiddle with her seat height etc but I do see her point which is where this thread started
The RRS head rest kind of hit the top of your head and do not support your neck
Our old BMW E46 had head rests that tilted as well as raised and lowered

I cant believe LR has engineered a car less comfortable than a previous generation BMW so what are we doing wrong?

I dont use head rests to support my head myself but it sounds like my missus isnt the first person to complain
Besides fiddling with seat height and things what else has anyone found that works?

Thanks

Post #221144 Fri Apr 03 2009 11:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>