RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Old LR advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 
Old LR advice please

I am thinking about buying an old LR simply for occasional use - taking rubbish to the dump and dogs on walks. What could anyone suggest - I don't want to spend too much (mid hundreds) and I need to be able to get kids, dogs etc in the back. I obviously want an old one so that I will be exempt from road tax. Being about as good with engines as The Pope is in a brothel reliability is fairly important. If anyone has one to sell let me know but any advice welcome. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #12256 Sun Feb 05 2006 4:11pm
GP

United Kingdom 

Hi VA

The most important things to look for in an old LR (apart from a good set of brakes!) are, in my experience, a solid chassis and sound bulkhead. There are plenty of older LRs with straight and tidy body panels which are badly rotten underneath. As I guess you will be looking for a series, leaf-sprung vehicle I would be inclined to look at something pre-1970 and ideally a series 2 or 2a from the early 60's. Just because a vehicle is newer it doesn't necessarily mean that it is better - the two LRs I have owned form that era (1960 and 1964) were both structurally very sound. The other reason for going for a series 2/2a is that it has a gearbox often considered to be stronger than the series 3 version. As for the engine I would go for the classic 2.25 petrol. I would avoid the 2.25 diesel as it is underpowered, noisy and is likely to cost quite a bit more to buy in the first place than the equivalent petrol.

Given your needs, a short wheel base should fit the bill, but I think you could struggle to get anything half decent for much less than a thousand pounds. Spend as much time as possible hunting for the right vehicle - there are some very good, original vehicles out there, but they are few and far between.

Good luck!

GP

Post #12287 Sun Feb 05 2006 9:53pm
noddy and bigears

England 
old uns

i run a 1958 series 2 with a later 2.5 n/a diesel i built it up from lots of parts and a donor vehicle its tax exempt costs 140 pounds fully comp but it does need looking after if your not mechanicly minded i would not recomend a cheep one youed be better off spending a few grand on a later 90-110 or even a disco but then if you dont mind paying someone to keep it uptogether for you it wont matter i brought an old disco H reg for my father in law to go fishing with all it needed was a new rear floor welding in for mot and he was off £250 for the disco £100 for a floor pan and mot not bad Laughing

Post #12288 Sun Feb 05 2006 9:55pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

GP, N&B - thanks. An old Disco might fit the bill but I fancy an old LR series 2 so I will keep my eyes open. More suggestions please especially if you know anyone selling either. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #12289 Sun Feb 05 2006 10:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1