RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Snow Chain frustration !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JSS355

New Zealand 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Snow Chain frustration !!

Question Can anyone give me a definitive answer with regard to snow chains on the RR Sports with the factory 10 spoke 20" alloys ? I don't want to appear to be like a book worm ! However , in the 2009 Issue one RR Sport accessories brochure that we have in NZ on Pg 5 it says the snow traction system is for 17 and 18" wheels only. On Pg 15 where it shows the ( ugly !) snow traction system it says in small print " for front 18 , 19 and 20" wheels only !!?? We have many snow fields near us and it is often a requirement to carry chains . On our 05 RR Vogue which had 20 " alloys we purchased a set of 18" Landrover Discovery wheels and tyres that we could fit chains to. I understand these will not fit on or TDV8 Sport because of the Brembo Brakes. It was a bit of a hassle changing to a winter set of wheels and tyres with our previous RR , thus it would be great to find out if you can fit chains or Landrovers own traction system to the 20" wheels we have on our Sport . I have one dealer saying one thing and another dealer saying the other !

Hope you chaps can help .

Post #235449 Thu Sep 03 2009 8:35am
Lookers Park Royal

The issue is clearance of the air springs (at the rear) for vehicles with 20" wheels. I looked into this in depth for a customer who was going skiing, and the only logical option would be to fit 19" wheels (which will clear Brembo's) and then fit chains. In the end he flew! Rolling Eyes

Obviously the above is for the UK market, so check first with a local dealer to you. Thumbs Up

James Thumbs Up

Post #235453 Thu Sep 03 2009 9:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSS355

James,
Thank you for your very prompt response. I did speak to my local dealer who referred to Pg 15 of the brochure , but another dealer I spoke to said it was not possible ! A local tyre agent said it was possible to fit winter tyres to the 20" rims we have, so that might be a possibility. Our nearest Ski field is only 1.5 hrs drive away ( that's parked in the carpark by the slopes ! )
Thumbs Up

Thanks again

James S

Post #235455 Thu Sep 03 2009 9:25am
symsey

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi

I looked into this previously and snow chains will not fit these tyres (275/40-20). There is an alternative though, these were recommended by a UK company, can even be hired:
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4...uery=16665
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4...uery=18038

They have been designed so they don't damage the wheel arch. The Spikes Spider snow chains involve fitting a plate (attaching to the wheel nuts) before you depart. Once you have fitted this plate the chains are very easy to mount when you come to use them.

They only need to be fitted to the front wheels (as per land rover). Never tried them though!

Post #235716 Fri Sep 04 2009 9:02pm
JSS355

Hi,
Thanks for sending the link , very good of you. Do you know if this system will fit over the 20" wheels as it does not appear to wrap around the back of the tyre and be near the rear air spring as James pointed out in his post.

Post #235721 Sat Sep 05 2009 12:19am
symsey

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi

Yes will definitely fit over the 20" wheels. I believe the whole point of this system is that it doesn't sit anywhere near the sensors / air springs. I found the company very helpful and they gave excellent and prompt response. Would be worth emailing them if you need to know more (i appreciate they are UK based though).
info@roofbox.co.uk
hope this helps

Post #235768 Sun Sep 06 2009 8:30am
JSS355

Hi Symsey,
I will send them an e-mail . Their system looks similar to LR's own one, however the hub plate fitting must be different. Thanks for all your help. Cheers
James Thumbs Up

Post #235847 Sun Sep 06 2009 8:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1