Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > Bike Carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

bryanlittlefair

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Bike Carrier

Hey Guys,

The wife is encouraging us on a new fitness program Sad as such rather than cycling the 15 miles to the forest I thought we can drive there and just cycle round the trails....

As such has anyone any recomendations for a tow bar cycle carrier that fits the RRS nicely ?

Post #210089 Thu Feb 05 2009 3:46pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

I think Misery is selling his for about £30 Whistle Whistle Question L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #210091 Thu Feb 05 2009 3:47pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Thule Euroway was my choice - from somewhere like roofracks.co.uk (other suppliers available Laughing )

Tilts, includes lightboard, lockable, folds flat for hanging on the garage wall ....

Thumbs Up

Post #210092 Thu Feb 05 2009 4:08pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Don't forget that for most bike carriers that fit the RRS you either need the roof bars or the tow hitch - not many bike carriers will fit on the rear hatch without causing damage to the rear spoiler paintwork 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #210094 Thu Feb 05 2009 4:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MAW

Re: Bike Carrier

bryanlittlefair wrote:
Hey Guys,

The wife is encouraging us on a new fitness program Sad as such rather than cycling the 15 miles to the forest I thought we can drive there and just cycle round the trails....

As such has anyone any recomendations for a tow bar cycle carrier that fits the RRS nicely ?

Whistle

Laughing Wink

Post #210097 Thu Feb 05 2009 5:20pm
Tim in Scotland

Message received MAW! Rolling with laughter 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #210099 Thu Feb 05 2009 5:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bryanlittlefair

Tim has a point though as I havent really thought this through, as I dont actually have a tow bar fitted at the moment, so unless under the bumber there is some magical attachment, then if I am right and I dont wantt o have a naff one sitting on the back of the car scratching the paintwork, i will have to pay for a tow bar fitting, then the cycle carrier ... correct ???

so am i better putting the seats down, buying a tarpaulin and throwing both bikes in the back of the car.... see all the hassle exercise can cause !

Post #210102 Thu Feb 05 2009 6:02pm
MAW

No - there is a magical attachment!

Keep the bikes out of the car, buy a removable tow bar from fleabay and away you go - I was in a group that went camping in France the year I had my first RRS - buying the towbar and the carrier doubled the cost of the holiday - worth it though the ball mounted solution is far better than i expected. Keeps the RRS free of carrier contact and damage and leaves the boot space available to use Thumbs Up

Post #210104 Thu Feb 05 2009 6:39pm
Killerbob

Switzerland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

OK, so I have the removable tow bar, and I also have the roof rails. For my old Lexus I used the roof rails and have two leftover Thule bike carriers. Now my question is this;

I could use the roof rails on my RRS and as I have the Thule carriers, that would be easy. However, on the Lexus it was high up, but with the RRS, it is higher up, and I am not sure I want to bother with that. So, which tow bar bike carrier protects the rear the best. I.e. which one keeps the bikes the furthest away from the rear door/rear spoiler?

KB RRS TDV8, black with ivory.

Post #210106 Thu Feb 05 2009 7:52pm
MAW

Mine is something like thule euroway 485 or something if you look on that website they'll be there somewhere and newer versions no doubt - very impressed by the design and function Thumbs Up

Oh and if you are concerned about contact ( i used ratchet straps and bungys to eliminate movement) you could always get the 3 or 4 bike carrier and mount the bike on the furthest rails back depending how many bikes you are carrying... From memory you can even open the top door w/o tilting the rack away.

I never had a contact and its worth carrying an allen key to loosen and turn the handlebars away for extra protection...

Post #210108 Thu Feb 05 2009 8:08pm
Tim in Scotland

Bryan - take yourself and a 2p coin round to the back of your car. In the centre of the rear bumper your should see a small removable section. Taking some care not to press too hard, slot the 2p piece into the palstic snap bolt heads on the lower edge of the centre section and turn 90degrees anticlockwise and the cover should pop off. Behind the cover should be a) a monster cast recovery eye attached to the chassis b) some plugs (white and black) for the towing electrics and also lower still you should see a red plastic fillet - this is the cover for the detachable towbar socket. What you need to buy is the detachable tow hook and have the trailer electrics connected and enabled (for plugging in your lighting bar!) When not in use the towbar fits into one of the slots in the polystrene moulding under the boot floor
I'll post some pictures tomorrow as I have the towpack on mine. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #210128 Fri Feb 06 2009 12:26am
MAW

If you haven't got the tow pack fitted (electrics) the parts are around £75 and take an hour to DIY fit

Post #210145 Fri Feb 06 2009 9:06am
bryanlittlefair

Thanks guys for all the detailed responses, just what i needed.

Post #210147 Fri Feb 06 2009 10:18am
jonhickton

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I would like to keep the rear of the car free from bike racks and fit bikes to roof. However the car has come with the Landrover rails and cross bar. does anyone know whcih bike rack to buy? I've been to Halfords today and the Thule 591 doesn't fit as the cross bars are to wide. Any ideas on adapting the Tule 591 or alternative bike racks?

Thx

Jon

Post #214120 Fri Feb 27 2009 2:46pm
jonhickton

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

sorted thanks for all the other info. on this site that i failed to find before.

Post #214124 Fri Feb 27 2009 3:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>