RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Alloy wheel upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

wildwolfnw

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue
Alloy wheel upgrade

Hi guys ive just bought my first rr sport Thumbs Up well impresed with it so far. Its an 86 2.7 td6 hse.
Any way ive been woundering about wheel upgradeing, the dealer at the garage said its on standard land rover alloys @ 19" and that i should not increase the size more than 20" due to haveing to have some thing alterd on the suspension. Is this the case? as i remember seeing rr sports on 22" wheels when i was looking to buy.
If it is possiable to upgrade to 22" wheels what,if any,problems may occur from this and is there any down side to doing it.

These are the 2 types of wheel ive been looking at.....

22" decorsa co49 Think these ones are the ones i prefer!

22" decorsa dc6

Ive got these from the following web site, im assumeing the companey does fitting but my question is... does any one know about this firm? are they any good/know what there doing?

http://www.wheel-base.co.uk/default.asp

Thanks in advance for your help.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #207948 Fri Jan 23 2009 3:54pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Welcome wildwolfnw Thumbs Up

As you are probably aware, a lot of folks do run larger alloys than the maximum 20" that you can get from the factory. I presume you mean yours is an 06 HSE (rather than 86, which is what you put Wink). Do you mean it was registered in 2006, or is it a model year 2006 (meaning it could have been built in 2005)? The older diesels came out of the factory with an undamped steering rack and putting larger diameter wheels on it caused a fair amount of vibration and general unsettlement.

For MY07 (i.e. builds starting in Sep 2006) all RRSs came with the damped rack and this ceased to be a problem. There's an old argument about whether if you put 22s or larger on your car, and you develop running gear problems, that the dealer could choose to not support any warranty claim related to it... but if yours was a 2006 build you're fast approaching end of warranty anyway so this might not be an issue for you.

See this post for further detail.

Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #207949 Fri Jan 23 2009 4:04pm
wildwolfnw

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Yes, it was 1st registerd in feb 2006, think it was built dec 2005 (not deffo sure on that, but it does ring a bell from reading docs other night) so realy im better off staying with the ones that are on. https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/i.hubnu...2c073c.gif

Post #207956 Fri Jan 23 2009 4:24pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

The choice is yours mate... I just wanted to let you know what the deal is Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #207962 Fri Jan 23 2009 4:28pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Welcome to the forums Wolf - Anything bigger than the standard 20's and with a lower profile than recommended is reputed to make the ride very hard. My first RRS was an 2.7SE on 18" and it had a lovely ride but rolled a bit in corners, now I have a TDv8 and that has 20's and much lower profiles and the ride is a whole world different, it's not harsh or BMW/Audi but it is noticably firmer and I feel a lot more road imperfections than with the higher profile tyre and smaller wheels. Some folks here tried 22s but quite soon reverted to standard sizes for the above reasons.

If you are buying aftermarket wheels also check that they are the correct load rating - RRS is a VERY heavy car and you cannot fit many of the more attractive wheels because they cannot take the weight loading. Also if you don't use the right weight rating your insurers will walk away in the event of an "incident". 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #207983 Fri Jan 23 2009 5:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bermyandy

2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

Im on 22" OF;s and honestly havent noticed a difference in the ride

Post #207986 Fri Jan 23 2009 5:20pm
bermyandy

2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

But also bear in mind load strengths of the wheels you are putting on etc

Post #207987 Fri Jan 23 2009 5:20pm
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Congrats on the new car Thumbs Up

....ust to add if it turns out you have a dampened steering rack. I know wheels are a personal choice but DO NOT put any of the above two on your car. Ive seen both (or very similar) and imo look really bad,

20's - Stick to standard superchaged or stormers. I hear overfince to 20 tigers?

22's - now there is alot of ok looking rims depending on the look your going for. Personally my choice is narrowed down to overfinch's offerings and the new kahn cosworth 22's.

Theres alot of people running around happy on reps. Others not so lucky, Personal choice again.

Enjoy the car Thumbs Up WINNER - 2008 Best All New Photograph
WINNER - 2009 Best All New Photograph

Post #208050 Fri Jan 23 2009 7:14pm
Autobrokers

United Kingdom 

WE SELL BOTH 20" AND 22" OVERFINCH WHEELS AND ARE DOING SOME GOOD DEALS AT THE MOMENT SO IF YOU WANT A QOUTE GIVE US A SHOUT Autobrokers Ltd
08444 772880
sales@autobrokers.co.uk

Autobrokers is one of the UK’s leading suppliers of prestige, high-performance vehicles. Our aim is to deliver the vehicle you desire, tuned and enhanced to your exact specification.

Post #208440 Mon Jan 26 2009 6:55pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 
Re: Alloy wheel upgrade

wildwolfnw wrote:
Hi guys ive just bought my first rr sport Thumbs Up well impresed with it so far. Its an 86 2.7 td6 hse.

Laughing Great choice but I wouldn't risk buying one quite that old Wink Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #208445 Mon Jan 26 2009 7:01pm
Persuader

United Kingdom 

Hi
I have had 2 RRS's with 22" wheels and the ride is a little different. I actually prefer the ride on 22" wheels. 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI
2006 Toyota Vigo Truck 3.0D4D.

Post #208809 Wed Jan 28 2009 6:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1